Revision tips for Cost & Revenues!

Kirsty83
Kirsty83 Registered Posts: 57 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
As (most of you) will be aware, I have the dreaded Cost & Revenue exam next Wednesday.....eeek!!!

This module is more mathematical bases than the other modules, in terms of the vast amount of forumula's and calculations that we have to remember....double EEEK!!!!

I'm just interested to know, of those who have passed C&R - what revision tips/advice can you give? What worked best for you/how did you learn & remember it?

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• amyjayne27
    amyjayne27 Registered Posts: 314 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Hi Kirsty,

I took this exam in October and luckily passed first time. I did EVERY single paper past exam there was! Then did the online CBA to get me used to doing the online exam.

But most importantly and I cannot stress this enough, make you sure you have the knowledge and do not just get used to layout of the questions. Read them carefully as I found even though the content was the same, the questions were laid out differently to the past papers and even the practice CBA.

Revise thoroughly and you will definately pass!!

Good luck :-D
  • Louise89
    Louise89 Registered Posts: 296 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Hiya,

As you said it is quite a mathsy exam and I personally found CRS quite easy. Basically if you know the formulae and how to apply it in the question you won't have a problem.

Best bit of advice is to do some practice questions and double check your calculations - you may mis-type on your calculator so doing it twice is always a safe bet.

Good luck, I'm sure you will be ok. :) x
  • KaySarah
    KaySarah Registered Posts: 215 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Oh I agree with that bit Louise - well remembered :-) I found that even after entering the answers on the exam screen it was best to recheck your figures (especially on Apportionment - across, down and cross check TWICE) because (I don't know if it was nerves or that I wasn't hitting the keys hard enough) - I found on double check either a double digit in the middle had gone walkies or a zero on the end had run off with the fairies ..

Good advice Louise.
    Kirsty - calm down, take a deep breath, and focus on your coloured in formulae. You have prepped yourself well for your studies, you made excellent progress over the weekend with your friends. There is AMPLE time to read the questions thoroughly twice and to take your time answering (I promise). As long as you have prepared yourself as thoroughly as you can you will Pass it this time. x
  • MarkT
    MarkT Registered Posts: 302
    Haven't taken it yet, but one good piece of advice is to breath.... breathing helps, a lot ;)
  • Kirsty83
    I have been told that I NEED to memorise the formula's and the method's before I do any practice questions, as I know it will be useless for me to get accustomed to the questions, but with no knowledge of how to work out the answer.
    This is the main reason I devised my own "Formula" notebook, so I have ALL the formula's and calculations WITH worked examples (so I can see them in use) to revise at every opportunity. My notebook is small enough for me to carry around and with the addition of using different coloured pens and highlighters to emphasise the formula's, I'm hoping that it will help stick in my brain!!

Kay - in regards to apportionment, when completing the table (I did this with the girls on saturday), I made sure to double check my calculations and cross check to ensure that it all came back to the total - which it did and I DID actually get the hang of it....so maybe there IS still hope for me!

Once I have finished writing all these formula's out, then I'm going to go through the number of past papers that I have aswell as the practice CBA AND Green Light section of the AAT and PRAY that I "get it"!!!
  • KaySarah
    I have been told that I NEED to memorise the formula's and the method's before I do any practice questions, as I know it will be useless for me to get accustomed to the questions, but with no knowledge of how to work out the answer.
    This is the main reason I devised my own "Formula" notebook, so I have ALL the formula's and calculations WITH worked examples (so I can see them in use) to revise at every opportunity. My notebook is small enough for me to carry around and with the addition of using different coloured pens and highlighters to emphasise the formula's, I'm hoping that it will help stick in my brain!!

Kay - in regards to apportionment, when completing the table (I did this with the girls on saturday), I made sure to double check my calculations and cross check to ensure that it all came back to the total - which it did and I DID actually get the hang of it....so maybe there IS still hope for me!

Once I have finished writing all these formula's out, then I'm going to go through the number of past papers that I have aswell as the practice CBA AND Green Light section of the AAT and PRAY that I "get it"!!!

Thatta Girl! That's the spirit. woo hoo -you are doing all the Right things Kirsty. Let me know when you Pass :-) x
  • Kirsty83
    Awww, thanks Kay!!! Pray for me next Wednesday!!! :)

x
  • KaySarah
    THE VERY VERY BEST OF LUCK FOR TOMORROW KIRSTY. Cast your eye briefly over your little book an hour before you go in - don't let anyone distract you and ... let us know when you Pass :-)
  • MarkT
    Awww, thanks Kay!!! Pray for me next Wednesday!!! :)

x
    Best of luck :)
  • Kirsty83
    I FAILED!!! :(

I'm literally ready to give this all up. After failing 3 exams so far, I just don't have any hope or confidence left in this at all.
    I'm so upset, disappointed and frustrated with the fact that I have been studying so hard and yet cannot seem to pass. I don't know whether it's my nerves that get the better of me each time, or what, but I just can't keep taking this knock back every single time.

I DO want to do this - but I just don't know how anymore.
  • KaySarah
    I FAILED!!! :(

I'm literally ready to give this all up. After failing 3 exams so far, I just don't have any hope or confidence left in this at all.
    I'm so upset, disappointed and frustrated with the fact that I have been studying so hard and yet cannot seem to pass. I don't know whether it's my nerves that get the better of me each time, or what, but I just can't keep taking this knock back every single time.

:crying:

Oh Kirsty - I am so so sorry. You were studying so hard for this and really seemed to be making so much progress. I know you feel gutted at the moment and I know tomorrow you will just feel totally Flat ... I failed AP1 on Monday (exceeded Fixed Assets [all parts] plus ETB - met Control Accs & Bank rec and failed the rest) so I know how devastating it feels.
    You DO know how to do this - and once you have dusted yourself off you will stand up and fight back .. again! Don't ever give up your dreams.
    Perhaps look at it all from a diff angle - Go back over all your classwork, the text book and question bank books when you are ready ... You Tube the bits your didn't meet requirements on and next time ... NAIL it!
    I don't know what else to say Kirsty - I can only send moral support and a cyber hug and tell you - Keep trying, we all know how you feel.
  • MarkT

I believe that it was Tolstoy who said, 'nobody became an overnight success'. Keep at it Kirsty, if you really want this, then nothing can take it from you - you'll succeed ,you may just take a little longer than others - hell, I'm 40 in 4 weeks, and I been looking for a direction like this for years - see? You're on the path, just take the beating, set your sights and get back on - there are plenty of us who give up, but only the best of us succeed ;)
  • Kirsty83
    Thanks guys - your positive words of support and kindness are much appreciated. {hugs}

After speaking with friends, family and even my boss at work (who took time out for 20 mins to give me some encouragement about everything), I AM feeling a lot more positive and determined as hell to pass this. I KNOW that this IS what I want, I came into this for a reason and I know I DO have the potential to succeed, so I am going to work as hard as I have EVER worked in my life and give it ALL I have, because I want to succeed, I want to fufil this ambition and have the great career that I know I deserve.

Yes - my confidence has been knocked, but I just need to dust myself down, get back up and fight for this!!!

Kay - sorry that you failed your AP1....:( You'll do better next time! {hug}
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hi Kirsty

I am so glad to hear you are thinking positive, it is horrible to fail. I set such high standards for myself I was gutted not to pass AP1 and my confidence really took a knock, but I just carried on and passed Indirect Tax to prove I could do it.

I'm like Mark and have waited 45 years to get to this stage and I'm not going to give in till I pass level 4.

So I want to be able to see your certificate too.... hugs!!

Jan
  • KaySarah
    Atta girl Kirsty - fighting spirit is good .. you got up quicker than I did though. I guess because you're much younger lol I cried silent tears - bitterly dejected and upset until the morning after. Like Mark and Jan I too have waited a long time to be able to do this. 35 years it's taken me to start on the road toward that trophy piece of paper Kirsty .. I am doing this for ME :laugh:
    Group hug and we can all cheer together when we are clutching that Certificate!
    Don't let anything stand in your way Kirsty - you know you have everything within you to succeed and you will x
  • MarkT
    heh.. the oldies certainly know how to raise 'em :D

Go att [sic] it Kirsty!!! x
  • Kirsty83
    It is always comforting to know that there are older students out there that are just starting out on the road to accountancy! :) Personally I have always believed that age and experience has been a great advantage, we, as "mature students", can offer life experience as well as academia, that can't be said for fresh faced 20 year old's.

Failing is such a horrible feeling of rejection, feeling that you aren't good enough to excel on your chosen path, but looking at the bigger picture, failure is only a stepping stone to success.
    Ben Carson (one of my personal inspirations - look him up if you don't know who he is. His story is truly inspiring). Well one great quote that I always remember from him is: "Giving up is just an excuse, it's too easy. Every hurdle we encounter shouldn't limit us, but make us stronger for the next." <---- so true!!

Anyway - I am still feeling positive about everything and it helps to have a great bunch of supportive and encouraging fellow students to get you through the tough times!

I have just ordered 4 BPP question bank books as additional aids for my revision: C&R, API, APII & Professional Ethics (which will be the next "official" exam), excluding my re-sits. I want to EXCEL and I am going to EVERYTHING I can in order to achieve that!

((hugs)) xx
  • sharumba
    sharumba Registered Posts: 33 Regular contributor โญ
    Just keep going!!!

I restarted AAT and i'm early 40's and wish i'd carried on with it years ago. Over 22 years ago I done the "Certificate in Accounting" as i didn't have o levels to get on the proper AAT. I slogged my guts out with a correspondence course for over a year and passed with credits (which exempted me from stage 1 of AAT). I then gave up!!

Some things will "click" others won't! You can do it!!!
Privacy Policy