Studying Level 2 Certificate: BA1+2 any advice?

Chan110
Chan110 Registered Posts: 17 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi,

After gathering a few tips from this forum I have taken the plunge and have signed-up to Level 2+3+4!
I would like to change career after working 20years in the IT industry and I have no experience or accountancy degree.

I now have 2 weeks to do my 1st BA1 assignment and about 3months before BA1+BA2 exams!!!

Any advice 'most' welcome!
Especially from those balancing a job and children at the same time!

Panic! Panic! Panic!

Comments

• MarkT
    MarkT Registered Posts: 302
    Welcome!

A great career move I'd say.. However, in answer to your question, read the books and attend the classes if you're doing this the college route and also use the green light tests (found in MyAAT) - these help you to see where your strengths and weaknesses are in the subject. BA1 can throw some people that are not accountancy minded, but keep at it, it comes in time :)

Good luck with it!
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hi

I must agree with Mark, you won't regret changing. It may look a bit daunting at the moment, but just take a deep breath. If you have any queries just post on here there is a fountain of knowledge and all willing to pass it on, even if the question may seem silly noone will judge.

How are you studying?

The best of luck!

Jan
  • Chan110
    Thks guys,

I am actually on Distance Learning - noway I can attend college and look after my 2 kids at the same time (single parent).

That's real interesting (ref. green light tests (found in MyAAT)) - can u tell me more?
    To be honest, I find the AAT website a bit confusing (if not daunting) - not easy to navigate - so any tips or useful info to be found on the AAT site, pls let me know!

Can I ask how is everyoneelse doing in their studies too?
  • MarkT
    MarkT Registered Posts: 302
    Hi Chan - sorry I missed this reply.

You first need to log into MyAAT and you will be presented with your homepage and in the middle you will see a box marked 'Study Zone'

And in there should be the level you are studying if it has been set up. Click on that link and you will be given a list of the subjects on that level - click any one as it brings you to a second page (where ironically you have to repeat the process) There you will come to a page called e-learn and the three subject levels and again, click on level 2 and then click the link to basic accounting 1 and then scroll down and you will see a link called green light. Click on it and it will ask you if you wish to continue - click yes, and then you will be presented with three parts of the subject that will give you a selection of ten questions that test your knowledge and will give the answers immediately and therefore, show you your strengths and weaknesses :)
  • Chan110
    Hi MarkT,

I click on Study Zone and it dosen't list my course "AAT Level 2 Cert", instead it lists:
    >>>
    AAT Access
    Revised Accounting Qualification
    NVQ/SVQ pathway to AAT Accounting Qualification
    Diploma pathway to AAT Accounting Qualification
    AAT Level 2 Award in Bookkeeping (QCF)
    Certificate in Payroll Administration (QCF)
    SALGC
    IQAM and Assessor awards
    >>>

Is there something wrong?

And does anyone know where StudentPLUS is within MYAAT?

Thks!
  • ordinarytom
    ordinarytom Registered Posts: 8 Regular contributor ⭐
    lvl 2 ba1 and 2 is very very simple if youve had a career in i.t i doubt this would be a challenge. lvl 2 is a bit of a joke really , especially if your with kaplan they fill over 200 pages of information when it could be easily narrowed down into 40 pages. without missing any detail.

The best advice i could give is try all of the test papers on the AAT website. The actual exams are extremely similar to the past exams and as long as you understand the concepts it should be a doddle.

for my ba2 exam i had a day to learn the book and revise it, as i didnt realise theyre was an extra book for it. So i read over and over the revision slides kaplan provide for ba2... and completed the past test papers on aat website. that alone got me a pass all in the space of 1 day learning and a morning test. that just shows how easy this lvl 2 is.
  • SarahJS
    SarahJS Registered Posts: 273 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    lvl 2 ba1 and 2 is very very simple if youve had a career in i.t i doubt this would be a challenge. lvl 2 is a bit of a joke really , especially if your with kaplan they fill over 200 pages of information when it could be easily narrowed down into 40 pages. without missing any detail.

The best advice i could give is try all of the test papers on the AAT website. The actual exams are extremely similar to the past exams and as long as you understand the concepts it should be a doddle.

for my ba2 exam i had a day to learn the book and revise it, as i didnt realise theyre was an extra book for it. So i read over and over the revision slides kaplan provide for ba2... and completed the past test papers on aat website. that alone got me a pass all in the space of 1 day learning and a morning test. that just shows how easy this lvl 2 is.

That's all a bit harsh... BA1 and 2 aren't that straightforward. Obviously it really clicked with you, but to others it doesn't come naturally and it will take time to learn and understand. They have a lot of useful information that isn't necessarily obvious in them, and provide a fundamental basis for a lot of later exams.

I do echo using the practise exams, but as there's only 2, don't peek while learning the course and do them properly at the end.

Good luck!
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor 🦉

I am actually quite insulted by this. How dare you come on here and say 'Level 2 is a joke' when others have had to work hard to achieve it? I appreciate it is the basics of the subject, but that does not mean they are easy concepts to understand or put into practice when you have no prior knowledge.

You don't mention whether you have had previous accountancy experience? And if you don't you are very lucky that the concepts clicked for you as quickly as they did. But to come on here and belittle other peoples hard work is despicable.

I also notice your looking for a study buddy for level 2, why do you need it when its such a 'joke'
Privacy Policy