First experience at a CBT

PAMDILL
PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
I sat my first CBT yesterday - Personal Tax, left there really wishing i had got my finger out last year and finished the course prior to CBTs.

I think this is going to be the first unit I have to resit. Did anyone else find CBTs awkward compared to written exams?:ohmy:

I had done the practice one on this site and the Osborne two but still found some of the questions a bit amibgous in the way they were written.

Comments

• SarahJS
    SarahJS Registered Posts: 273 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I don't have experience doing paper exams, but I agree CBTs are ambiguous.

I don't know about level 4 specifically, but I found PEAF yesterday not that clear (in terms of what a true/false question was asking) and it would have been nice to give some reasoning for some of my answers.

I passed though, and I hope you do to!
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hi

I was lucky enough to manage to get financial statements, business tax and personal tax done via the paper based method which I was much more comfortable with having done level 2 and level 3 via the paper based method.

What assessments do you have left?

I have had to do budgeting and financial perforamce via CBE. Fortunately with budgeting and financial performance the practice exams on the AAT website are pretty much identical to the real exam so luckly I managed OK.
  • MarkT
    MarkT Registered Posts: 302
    Thats the thing with the CBT - you only have to miss one word and the whole question goes to pot... Hope that you get better news than you're expecting, though :)
  • PAMDILL
    Fortunately this is the only unit left.
    reader wrote: Β»
    Hi

I was lucky enough to manage to get financial statements, business tax and personal tax done via the paper based method which I was much more comfortable with having done level 2 and level 3 via the paper based method.

What assessments do you have left?

I have had to do budgeting and financial perforamce via CBE. Fortunately with budgeting and financial performance the practice exams on the AAT website are pretty much identical to the real exam so luckly I managed OK.
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    PAMDILL wrote: Β»
    Fortunately this is the only unit left.

Brilliant!

One piece of advice I would like to offer is that, if you haven't already, complete the AAT's "Submit your application for full AAT membership" (you can find this in MyAAT by clicking on "Manage your account" on the right hand side).

By doing this, when (fingers crossed) you pass personal tax, you'll be automatically elected to AAT and gain the MAAT letters.

Are you planning on doing any other qualifications or MiP afterwards?
  • PAMDILL
    I have had my application in progress since last year. I already have a practice licence from the ICB and have been
    trying to get clients since November.

I swithered about doing CIMA, certainly not ICAS but I am not that interested in all the enterprise, strategy technical stuff.

I am quite happy at the level workwise that i used to be at, not so much where I am now but that was recession induced.

I am more interested in the day to day accounting function of small businesses than the preparation of final accounts.

I intend to complete my ICB Self Assessment exam to get my licence and insurance for that side of my practice then probably just stick to CPD courses with AAT and some SAGE Certification and any courses on VT Transaction +.
Privacy Policy