Class 1 NIC

jilt
jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
I have had an equiry from a british citizen who has a limited company in Romania and has a Romanian accountant who looks after his afairs there.

He wants to pay class 1 NIC here and is thinking of setting up a limited company so that he can employ himself. He says he won't have any premises here he'll just sell on line, although presumably he'll keep the stock at his home address, which would then become the address the business is run from. He would travel between the UK and Romania in order to be able to do this. Is there any reason why he could not do this?

Could he not just pay voluntary class 3 NIC to fill in any gaps and top up his NI record? Am not an NI expert just know which type you pay when.

Comments

• deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Sounds a lot of faff. Class 3 NIC must be easier.
  • jilt
    Apparently he has to pay class 1, it's something to do with how much time he spends in this country. He sounded as though he knew what he was talking about and didn't want to argue, can't find anything myself though.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hmmm. This is the only thing I could find but it seems to be NIC'ers that is payable rather than NIC'ees, if that even applies in his scenario. Strange one.
  • jilt
    Thanks Dean, I'll digest that later. Am halfway through the pricing for accountants book by the way. Great read, was quite impressed that some suggestions I already did/had in place.
Privacy Policy