P60s

JodieR
JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
I ordered my P60s from HMRC about 3 weeks ago - should i be chasing this now or do they only send them out in March? Anyone got theirs yet?

Comments

• deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Do people still use paper forms these days?

;)
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Mine print directly from my software - not done a paper one in a while - sorry!
  • payrollpro
    payrollpro Registered Posts: 427 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Jodie,

According to HMRC you ought to have received a call by now asking why you need paper forms. The outsourced supplier of all HMRC documentation has an instruction to resist requests for paper unless there is a specific reason for it.

As Dean and Monsoon have said the expectation is for you to print directly off whatever software you have used to file the return. I generally save the pdf's and send them to clients for them to print off. HMRC have recently had to admit that electronic P60's are acceptable, as long as they are in a secure format, like pdf.

Payrollpro
  • JodieR
    I use quickbooks for all my payroll and in the past i've always ordered the paper P60s and printed them out from quickbooks - is this not how it works any more? good thing i'm going on this year end payroll CPD event on saturday!
  • KaySarah
    KaySarah Registered Posts: 215 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    JodieR wrote: ยป
    I use quickbooks for all my payroll and in the past i've always ordered the paper P60s and printed them out from quickbooks - is this not how it works any more? good thing i'm going on this year end payroll CPD event on saturday!

Hi Jodie

If you don't have Payroll bespoke software, you can run your TYE including P60s, P35s P11Ds etc using HMRC's own online software - and it also stores the forms as PDFs.

Kay
  • JodieR
    Hi Jodie

you can run your TYE including P60s, P35s P11Ds etc using HMRC's own online software
    Kay

thanks but NOOOOOOOOOOO!! I'm sure quickbooks will have the option to print out P60s directly onto blank paper - it does the P45s fine and all, I must have just got left a little behind with the technology side!
  • jamesm96
    jamesm96 Registered Posts: 523
    I must admit I know our payroll manager has ordered a whole bunch of HMRC P60s to print from Iris Payroll Professional but, in light of everyone's comments above I'd be surprised if it didn't have the facility to PDF it's own P60s. Does anyone know?
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Rozzi Rainbow Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Jodie, I'm glad you started this thread as I also planned to just order paper P60s as usual. I'm using Sage Payroll and only realised I could print P45s directly onto plain paper when I phoned to ask for help aligning them properly onto the paper versions. It would be nice if they told us these things without having to ask. That was about a year ago and I now can't believe I ever used paper P45s, so much easier printing them direct. It would be a lot easier to print the P60s direct, so I hope we can, but like I said it would be nice if the software providers told us this before we all went and ordered paper P60s!

Looks like I definitely need to go to the CPD on Saturday .....
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Ok, I've just checked the reports in Sage Payroll and all the P60s seem to be for printing onto the paper forms rather than printing directly. Hopefully there will be something in the year end update pack that will generate a P60 that can be printed directly. I'm going to email Sage as I'm a bit concerned now ....
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Sage have just got back to me saying they don't have a P60 report for plain paper and I have to either order the paper stationery or email the P60 to everyone. The email report only seems to work when all the employees have email addresses entered in Sage, and as I haven't done this as a matter of course when adding the employees, I'm not going to start chasing round for all the email addresses now! Anyway, I'd much rather still print the copies to pass onto the employer to distribute. Seems a bit mad they can't print directly like they can with the P45s.

I'm going to have to order the paper copies soon and hope they arrive ok!

I always thought Sage was a good program, but it's obviously not as advanced as the other programs some of you use that can print P60s directly!
  • KenS
    KenS Registered Posts: 13 Regular contributor โญ
    I used to use Sage Payroll, but this type of thing became a frustration, especially so given the price you pay.

I switched to Moneysoft Payroll part way through the year and it's honestly one of the best bits of software I use (along with VT+ Final Accounts). You can print to plain paper or to pdf and the reports are a perfect replica of HMRC docs - p45 / P60 / P11d etc. It handles CIS and P11d - both of which are extra cost options on Sage.

ยฃ112+vat per year, multi company and it is incredibly easy to use. Especially good if you have a lot of small ltd companies who pay themselves the same amount each month - you can populate the whole year up front and print all the payslips out in one go.....none of this 'pre-update printing' and 'update records' type stuff that Sage does.

End of year is a good time to switch - I promise you won't regret it!

And by the way I'm not a Sage basher I actually quite like Sage 50 and use that for all my VAT registered clients - I just think Sage Payroll is clunky and expensive compared to Moneysoft.

Ken
  • JodieR
    Well I've just got in now and there on my doorstep is a lovely box of P60s :D

Quickbooks haven't updated the software yet to be able to file year end returns so I don't know whether there will be a PDF option or a simple black & white P60 to print but if not then at least I can do it the same way I always had and print onto the forms I got today. Always a faff trying to line them up straight but apart from that it's straightforward :)
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Yay, I'm glad they've arrived ok, hopefully mine and everyone else's will too. Looks like I got into a panic for no reason!
  • jamesm96
    Sage have just got back to me saying they don't have a P60 report for plain paper and I have to either order the paper stationery or email the P60 to everyone. The email report only seems to work when all the employees have email addresses entered in Sage, and as I haven't done this as a matter of course when adding the employees, I'm not going to start chasing round for all the email addresses now! Anyway, I'd much rather still print the copies to pass onto the employer to distribute. Seems a bit mad they can't print directly like they can with the P45s.

I'm going to have to order the paper copies soon and hope they arrive ok!

I always thought Sage was a good program, but it's obviously not as advanced as the other programs some of you use that can print P60s directly!

Just a thought; is there any reason why, once the software has produced PDFs of the P60s, we couldn't just print them off to send? Or are they marked as electronic copies?
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Just a thought; is there any reason why, once the software has produced PDFs of the P60s, we couldn't just print them off to send? Or are they marked as electronic copies?
    No reason that I know of.

I just email the PDFs to clients.
  • Rozzi Rainbow

If your software lets you do that, I don't see why not. It's what I was trying to do with Sage but they don't have that facility! The PDFs they generate for the paper returns are just random numbers across the page, which don't make a lot of sense until they print into the labelled boxes on the paper forms. I suppose we should be able to print the email P60s, but I haven't yet convinced Sage to generate an email P60! I think it's cos I don't have any email addresses entered for any employees. Would be so much easier if they just generated a report to print on plain paper like they do for P45s ......
  • jamesm96
    I suppose we should be able to print the email P60s

Yeah that's what I'm suggesting... Enter your own email address for all the employees and you'll presumably receive all the P60s as PDFs in your inbox. (Of course, it does seem like rather a convoluted way of doing it; you could just get their email addresses and send them by email directly).
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Thanks Mike, yeah in theory that should work but I haven't convinced Sage to do it yet! I tried to generate my own email P60 as my home email was already in the employee record but even that wouldn't work. All the paper reports work so the fact we aren't at year end yet doesn't seem to be the problem. There must be a setting somewhere I need to change to allow email P60s, but I'm not going to spend ages sorting that out when I have paper P60s on the way. I'm going to stick with what I know even if it might be old fashioned!
Privacy Policy