setting up a company in Sage 50

jana1
jana1 Registered Posts: 4 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
sorry

Comments

• MarkT
    MarkT Registered Posts: 302
    I hate to be the one... Advice between students is generally given to help one another. However, had this same question been posted on the acca forum, you would likely be given the reply 'If you want the answer, pay me. Otherwise, google is your best friend'

The fact that I see the word fontsize at the beginning your post does not instill me with much hope of your involvement with this forum other than a source of free information
  • jana1
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. Have a nice day
  • deborahcarpenter
    deborahcarpenter Registered Posts: 161 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    MarkT wrote: ยป
    I hate to be the one... Advice between students is generally given to help one another. However, had this same question been posted on the acca forum, you would likely be given the reply 'If you want the answer, pay me. Otherwise, google is your best friend'

The fact that I see the word fontsize at the beginning your post does not instill me with much hope of your involvement with this forum other than a source of free information

Hi Jana1,
    I thought the whole point of this forum was to help each other!!! Or maybe i am mistaken!!!!

Anyway, what do you need to know about setting up a company on Sage? I may be able to help.

Regards
    Deborah
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    And I'm almost positive you wouldn't get a 'if you want the answer then pay me' response on an ACCA forum!

Please repost your message jana1
  • MarkT
    Actually the OP went something along the lines of...

We have just set up a company in December 2011 and will start trading at the end of March 2012 so when will our year end be?

Not, I am posting this question as I am wondering how I have to set this up as part of my level 2 sage accounts software course.

Also, the fact that the op had the word fontsize written at the beginning of the post gives the impression that this was not a one off post.

As students, we are not contrary to popular belief, a source of endless free information. And if, and I use the term IF very lightly, this company makes it to a year end, and they had no idea of who or how to set their year end up, then I think it is safe to say that the accountant would not give them free advice as to how they file their accounts
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Even so, I think your reply might have needed some fine tuning and I'm sure all readers (which are not just students) on this forums can make up their own mind whether they want to answer or not.

The whole point of these forums is that they are here to help each other, let's hope Jana posts again so everyone can make up their own minds to answer or not. :)
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Rinske wrote: ยป
    Even so, I think your reply might have needed some fine tuning and I'm sure all readers (which are not just students) on this forums can make up their own mind whether they want to answer or not.

The whole point of these forums is that they are here to help each other, let's hope Jana posts again so everyone can make up their own minds to answer or not. :)

Jana will possibly be too frightened to post again after the answer they got.

All of us have a blank day when we need an answer to something that might seem very simple, no matter how experienced we are.

I am glad to say that even when my question may have seemed basic to someone else I have always received an answer.

In this instance the questioner may just have not used Sage before and may be experienced in other aspects of business, it is not nice to suggest that the company only has a slim chance to make it to year end.
  • MarkT
    Jana will possibly be too frightened to post again after the answer they got.

All of us have a blank day when we need an answer to something that might seem very simple, no matter how experienced we are.

I am glad to say that even when my question may have seemed basic to someone else I have always received an answer.

In this instance the questioner may just have not used Sage before and may be experienced in other aspects of business, it is not nice to suggest that the company only has a slim chance to make it to year end.

The questioner was not asking how to set it up in sage, that part was coincidental. They were asking when their year end would be.

I may have missed a point here, but my student membership fees and your full and MIP fees actually pay for this forum - the poster has not contributed in any way shape or form. So, where does it end? Do we just churn out free advice and in doing so, make a mockery of the exams and results we work hard for, or, do we take the stance of telling a free-loader to look up this information, which would be available on companies house and also in many places on the internet.

When I set my own business up in 2004, I never asked someone else for free information, I looked it up. Also, even though I was struggling as a business owner, I paid for accountancy advice when it was needed.

The only mistake here was my part for not capturing the original post as then, you would all be able to pass judgement on what the poster asked and how they asked it. Bear in mind that the post was edited once, then deleted. After deletion, the rest of you decided to chide me for my comment without seeing the reason.

Also, the fact that I will go to extraordinary lengths to help people I am assuming has escaped your grasp. I wonder why this question was posted on the student section and not the members in practice section? I do not suppose you asked yourselves that have you?
  • Bluewednesday
    I did see the original question but didn't have time to answer, when I got back it had been deleted.

I don't think he/she was asking for anything that another student wouldn't ask for. It was certainly nothing that wouldn't be divulged in a free first meeting with an accountant anyway.

It's good that you had the confidence to go away and look things up - not everyone has that same confidence.

My concern is what impression they have gone away with regarding AAT accountants?

It was more of a surprise as the tone in this post is nothing like any of your other posts.
  • MarkT
    I think that the case to have seen two sides of the issue here and came to two very different conclusions.

The fact that the post was laid out and the word 'fontsize' was the ringer for me. It said, 'I have little idea of how I am going to find this information and so, I'll post it in this place, and cut and paste it elsewhere and fish til I get a bite'

The fact the post started about 6 lines down was also a giveaway that the poster never actually sat at a screen and typed it out here.

The impression? I give, it may leave a lot to be desired, but coming in and asking away also showed little care as to what they thought of the profession in the first place.

My tone is firm and fair - and I have been taught life as 'quid pro quo'. Therefore, I do not think the smallest of posting without offering something - not always monetary but nonetheless looking to be a proactive part of this forum and what it stands for is an unfair request. This forum should not be seen as free advice for all regardless of whether you're a student or AAT member.
  • totleyblade
    totleyblade Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor โญ
    I hate to be the one... but, Mark, who the heck do you think you are? A vigilante moderator?

You have made you own assumptions regarding the reasons for this post, which could be completely wrong.

What is almost certain though, we'll probably never know if jana1 will offer anything else to this forum and she'll probably be thinking what a pompous lot we are!

My view is that anybody who takes the time to sign up and post a question is contributing to the forum. Just look at how many people actually view the posts and responses, I did look at the original post myself and considered providing a response before it was taken down.

Many of us benefit from the discussions that has been stimulated by a seemingly simple or innocuous question, even ifwe don't contribute directly ourselves.

Your idea of 'firm and fair' could easily be interpreted by someone else are rude and arrogant. Lets be positive, especially with newcomers to the forum and offer friendly advice and encouragement. Leave any moderating to the AAT.
  • MarkT
    I hate to be the one... but, Mark, who the heck do you think you are? A vigilante moderator?
    Not at all - your interpretation not mine
    You have made you own assumptions regarding the reasons for this post, which could be completely wrong.

What is almost certain though, we'll probably never know if jana1 will offer anything else to this forum and she'll probably be thinking what a pompous lot we are!

My view is that anybody who takes the time to sign up and post a question is contributing to the forum. Just look at how many people actually view the posts and responses, I did look at the original post myself and considered providing a response before it was taken down.
    Really? You and a lot of others had 5 hours - 5 Hours to make a contribution but chose not to before the post was taken down and then come onto the thread and correct me for my interpretation
    Many of us benefit from the discussions that has been stimulated by a seemingly simple or innocuous question, even ifwe don't contribute directly ourselves.

Your idea of 'firm and fair' could easily be interpreted by someone else are rude and arrogant. Lets be positive, especially with newcomers to the forum and offer friendly advice and encouragement. Leave any moderating to the AAT.
    Odd that I have left the moderating to the AAT and I have not asked for any intervention on any post. I did not remove the OP, I did look at the post and my experience tells me that this poster did sign up through which is an easy process to gain an account here and then cut and pasted a question - so all in all, contributed about 10 - 15 minutes of their time on a self serving manner and while having not even bothering to politely say hello and create an interests in them but to harvest some information that they would have found if only they actually opened the binder that would have been supplied to them from companies house. I am more than happy to speak to newcomers, but lets be open here - you are having a go at me for my response when you sat by and had the opportunity and chose to not say anything for a whole 5 hours
  • totleyblade
    totleyblade Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor โญ
    Mark, you seem to have missed my point. Probably my fault, never mind.

One thing I will say though, had you looked at jana1's profile you would see that she had been a member of the forum for a couple of months so had not simply joined to post this particular question.

She could be in the same position of many people, including myself, who follow the discussions and pluck up courage before diving in.

Anyway, lets get over it, I'm off back to work now.
    :001_smile:
  • Tjcgti
    Tjcgti Registered Posts: 40 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    This forum is free to join. You don't have to be an AAT member. The whole point of this forum is to give advice not just to members but anyone who joins.

Also we aren't exactly doing their accounts for them. Only advice. And yes free advice as the AAT Forum is part of the internet. Therefore a free source of information.

Anyhow the OP has gone now and not re-posted their question so no free information was given away. End of.
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I'll think you'll find mark that the question posted was one which was perfectly acceptable of someone who is just starting to learn sage, I also saw the original post, and saw nothing wrong with it. The only reason I didn't answer was because i have only just started using Sage myself and thought it best to leave it to those more experienced, who would give a correct answer.

When I first started on this forum, I mostly asked questions, because I rarely had the knowledge or confidence to answer any. As I have progressed with my studies, I feel more confident to help and if I can, give back to those who helped me.
    This forum is one of the friendliest I have been on, we do not need people to be shouted down, or made to feel stupid for asking a question. You obviously have your own thoughts about the OP, but all you had to do was think 'Im not answer that question' and leave it at that. Not post a scathing and un-needed attack on someone who may have only just plucked up the courage to post on here.

Next time, think before you post.
  • jana1
    Thanks guys for all your comments and support you are all correct I have only been in this forum for a couple of months and I am a student and pay my fees , and some times we do have to pluck up the courage to post , and hope some one out there will give a little help , mark is very driven by his nasty attitude and certainly does not give a great impression
    Of AAT I am sure he could put other students off from posting , he missed the whole point , hope he has a better attitude to his clients when they ask silly question but ok I forget they are PAYiING!! Good luck mark with your quest
  • Diddy Mau
    Diddy Mau Registered Posts: 238 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hello Jana1.
    I never seen your first post. So hope this little bit of information helps.
    If the company has already been trading for a year and has the final accounts, you need the TB from the accountants, then copy the info into Sage's system.
    this will then show your Liabilities etc from last year.

Hope this helps, and I'm sure another person will be here to help.
    Good to see you back
  • Bluewednesday
    Could you post the question again (presuming you haven't already had the answer) so it can be answered for you?
  • jana1
    Thanks guys for helping me. I appreciate it. I have already sorted it out . :-)
Privacy Policy