Purchase Ledger

JaffasGirl
JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hello all :D

I have finally (after three years of searching) secured a job as a purchase ledger assistant. I have no experience for this type of work, and I'm starting to have a minor freak out as i am starting in less than two weeks.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of the sorts of things I will be expected to do? i know whats in the job description, but what kind of things were you asked to do to begin with? Entering purchase invoices etc?

If anyone can be of any help I would be most grateful, and so would my stress levels!!

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Congratulations JaffasGirl

You must be really excited as well as a little anxious/stressed about starting your new job.

Good luck, I'm sure you will be just fine! :)

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • JaffasGirl
    Thank you!

I am very excited :D been studying and searching for so long, it doenst feel quite real. Giving in my notice was hard, my bosses fluctuated between telling me I was selfish for leaving, to 'i just want to make sure you not making a big mistake, i'm only thinking of you, blah blah blah' but I know its the right thing for me. I actually had the interview and found out I had got the job on my birthday :D was certainly the best birthday present!

After four years in the same job, its a little scary moving somewhere new, but its a challenge I'm really looking forward to! i think thats why i was asking about what to expect for my first few weeks, allay my nerves a little! lol
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Congratulations on the job!

I have worked in Purchase Ledger for 10yrs, my daily tasks are:

Inputting invoices
    Setting up new Suppliers
    Dealing with queries
    matching invoices to orders and processing ready for payment
    Twice a week we do a payment run by cheque and once a week we do a bacs payment.

Alot of the other things I do won't be done by private sector as I work in NHS, and vice a versa, but you will be fine and will soon pick up a routine.

Good luck!!

Jan
  • KaySarah
    KaySarah Registered Posts: 215 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    .Congrats Jaffasgirl :001_smile:

Your concerned attitude willbode you well - you sound conscientious & eager. These are much better traits to start a new job with than supremely over confident. You will do well.

In my dept I don't expect my "girls" to do the BACS or payment runs. They do all the things Jan has stated above (we are in private sector) plus ...

I ask that all invoices being input onto Sage be batched (roughly 10-20 inv per batch) and independantly added up and each batch entered onto a batch header. In this way, there is more Control for ensuring integrity of the invoices being entered as there is a total against which to balance the batch before pressing Save in Sage. If there is an error at month end it is easier to check through the batches against the audit trail to spot it. It may sound pendantic, but it has been known for Invoices to be inadvertantly entered as Credits, due to perhaps the phone ringing after a batch of credits were entered and the clerk resuming her entering of Invoices and not spotting she is on the wrong screen.

Other than that the only other task I could think of would be the bane of everyone's life ..Filing!!

I ask that all currently entered invoices be kept in their own "current month" files until after I have reconciled the statements & checked the invoices against them- then they are filed into the Bulk A-Z supplier files, until year end, when they are archived for one year before being bagged into storage bags and kept for a further 7 years before being destroyed.

If it's possible - why not ask your future employer if it would be possible to come in for a morning, afternoon or a day or two (unpaid) to shadow the current employee whose place you will be taking. Alternatively ask if it would be possible to pop in and spend a few hours with her and ask her to talk you through what she does so you could ensure a smooth transition. Best policy is .. continue with the current way of doing things until you are comfortable, before gradually introducing changes that will be more suited to your style of working.

I hope this info is of some use to you & I wish you everything of the very best in your new position, which I am sure you will do very well.

Kay
  • JaffasGirl
    Thank you very much :D

I am really looking forward to it. I am currently still working my notice so won't be able to go in, although I have offered to go in on Friday (been given a day off then) but i'll be starting the following wednesday, so not sure whether they will want me to, I really do though lol it will help the following week to be easier! really excited to get stuck in and start putting what I've learnt into use! i am going from an office where I was the only employee for three and a half years (not a good situation i assure you) to an office with lots of people, so that in its self will be an adjustment! lol

I think eventually i will be responsible for BACS runs, they asked me at the interview if anything like that scared me, and i said that as long as I'm shown what to do, i'll do it! lol

I had a point at the end of last year where i had got down to the second interview twice and not got the job because i seemed like i will get bored and leave, i was beginning to wonder whether i would ever get that chance! Two weeks ago i didn't even know about this job and i was offered it on the same day of the interview! its amazing how quickly things can change, a bit of advice to others in my situation, i know other people have said it, and i know its easier to say when you have come out the other side, but seriously keep plugging away, your perfect job is out there and you will find it eventually.
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor 🐘
    Many congratulations! I am sure you will succeed in your new role.

All the best
    Steve
  • Dcollins
    Dcollins Registered Posts: 179 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Congratulations Jaffasgirl!!

Just try not to worry, you'll be fine. Usually, very little is expected of you on your first day. They'll show you the ropes, and won't drop you in at the deep end.

Hope you enjoy the job.
  • Yazi
    Yazi Registered Posts: 225 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi Jaffasgirl

Well done on getting a new job.

(If its in sunny Hastings....even better!!)
  • JaffasGirl
    It is indeed :) so excited! Finally leaving the go go world of estate agency behind...

My boss has been telling me 'your making a mistake' since I gave in my notice, good job I'm strong enough to know I'm really not! Considering he told me how I was selfish for leaving, and I'm pretty sure I heard him calling me a bitch on the phone to his wife yesterday lol don't care though, I'm on the final countdown! He's been telling me for years that he can fill my job in a second, that I'm lucky to have a job and hundreds of people would want it...hmmmm, it's been over a week and he hasn't filled it cause people don't want to be an estate agent, and work every single Saturday like I have for four years! It's taking a lot for me not to go 'haha' and poke my tongue out lol

I'm just focusing on how happy I will be once I've left and started doing what I've been working towards for two years! Whoop!
Privacy Policy