Anyone been to New York

jewels.p
jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
I'm off to New York shortly to celebrate my ...................secret birthday!:001_rolleyes:

Has anyone been and how did you like it?
Some people say it is awesome and some people say it is good to have been but they wouldn't go back!

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hello jewels.p

I have been to New York a couple of times, pre and post 911. I was overwhelmed by the place the first time and very moved the second time when visiting the remains of where the twin towers once stood.

Plenty to do however I think some of the tourist sights are no longer accessible... e.g. inside The statue of Liberty due to security after 911. Central Park is lovely and you have all the shops too.

Have fun and have a happy birthday too.

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I've been three times now. I really like the feel for the place, feels like walking around a film set, which starts when you come in to land and can see the New York skyline.

There's so much to do and see there, It's worth getting a couple of tourist books and planning what you want so see.

I wouldn't want to spend a long time there, I find a few days in any city enough. Before I want to go explore the smaller towns.
  • willis967
    willis967 Registered Posts: 5 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Lucky Jewels P.

You will love it, Central Park, ESPN bar and make sure that you go to the view restaurant which is at the top of the Marriot Hotel in Time Square http://www.opentable.com/the-view-restaurant Open to the public, amazingly good value all you can eat buffet overlooking all of Manhatton.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Lucky Jewels P.

You will love it, Central Park, ESPN bar and make sure that you go to the view restaurant which is at the top of the Marriot Hotel in Time Square http://www.opentable.com/the-view-restaurant Open to the public, amazingly good value all you can eat buffet overlooking all of Manhatton.

Other things I enjoyed;

Going up the Empire state building - There's also Top of the Rock, but its not the Empire state building.

The ferry from battery park to Statue of liberty, theres other longer ferry trips around the island but I saw what I wanted to with this.

There's loads of museums and art galleries, I like the Natural History Museum a lot.

Grant central terminal

And central park.
  • StuartW
    StuartW Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Ellis Island is interesting if you're into the history of the city & the US, how people ended up there, etc.

The Oyster Bar at Grand Central is great (if you like oysters, of course!). Fresh oysters from all over the place, seafood chowder, etc.

I quite like Roosevelt Island too, you get there by cable car which was a thrill in itself!

You'll have a great time, so much to see and do (and EAT!) and like PGM said it's a bit like being on a massive film set!
  • Dcollins
    Dcollins Registered Posts: 179 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I'd say everyone should go at least once. Not sure I'd go back because I hate cities, and found it exhausting but I'm glad I've been. There's a lot to see and do.

Take comfy shoes, New York is a lot more compact than you'd think so it's easy to walk all day.

The hop-on hop-off tour buses are good. Queues for some things like the Empire State Building and the discount theatre ticket place in Times Square can be horrendous. I've heard that if you go to the Empire State Building late afternoon it's not as bad.

Broadway shows are fantastic. We went direct to the theatre's box office and got 6th row tickets, which weren't extortionate. Saved queueing and we got better seats than if we'd bought at Times Square.

Have fun, and enjoy your birthday.
Privacy Policy