Employer questions

Options
Hi all,

A purely hypothetical question (honest guv').

Company XYZ Ltd have a director who, during the annual staff review meetings, asked a female member of staff to inform the company (by a particular date) whether or not she plans to have children; her decision therein will affect whether the company will continue to pay for training and development for her and will also affect whether or not she is selected for promotion.

Discuss!

(Please don't try and guess why I'm asking and please don't hate me, I know how ethically and legally inappropriate such treatment would be, I just could use some chapters / verses which might come in useful).

Thanks all.

Comments

• janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hi Mike

Funny I should read this as I heard one of the Finance Manager's at work today reading out the induction questionnaire to a male memeber of staff today, and he said we can skip the question, " are you likely to have a child in the next few months'. When I come to think about it I may have been indirectly asked the same question by my boss when I signed up for training.

Jan
  • Dcollins
    Dcollins Registered Posts: 179 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Have a look at the Equality Act 2010, chapters 1 & 2.

Perhaps the director could do with some training.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hilarious!

And completely illegal of course..
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    jamesm96 wrote: »

Company XYZ Ltd have a director who, during the annual staff review meetings, asked a female member of staff to inform the company (by a particular date) whether or not she plans to have children; her decision therein will affect whether the company will continue to pay for training and development for her and will also affect whether or not she is selected for promotion.

Discuss!

Good luck at the employment tribunal, Company XYZ Ltd.

If you don't want the problem of pregnancy, don't employ women of childbearing age. Oh wait, there's that Equality Act again...

I can understand why a company would want to know so it can plan - however there are better (and indeed safer) ways of finding out than doing it this way! Really, that wasn't very clever of them at all...
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    jamesm96 wrote: »
    her decision therein will affect whether the company will continue to pay for training and development for her and will also affect whether or not she is selected for promotion.

If she doesn't get promoted, she has a good case for compensation!
  • jamesm96
    jamesm96 Registered Posts: 523
    Options
    I knew you helpful bunch would come up with the goods.

Thanks all!
Privacy Policy