Which distance learning provider for L3?

tillyjbc
tillyjbc Registered Posts: 46 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Hi all

Would appreciate any advice on distance learning providers for L3. Nearly finished L2 (one exam to go) with Home Learning College but they appear to be much more expensive than some of the others.

Reading other threads on here, Kaplan seem to have lots of errors in their books! What about Premier? Anyone having good/bad experience with them?

Any input will be gratefully received!!

Comments

• Whirlwind
    Whirlwind Registered Posts: 249 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hi,

I have been using BPP and have found them clear, concise with only a few errors. With the online classroom I went direct to BPP but have got the books from Foyles or Amazon - depending on price.

I have, so far, passed 6 of the level 3 and 1 of level 4 first time - so have defintely found there information good. However that may all change with Auditing at the end of the month - its such a dry subject!!

Maybe give BPP a try.
  • tillyjbc
    tillyjbc Registered Posts: 46 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Thanks for that Whirlwind

So, are you just booking for exams as an external candidate? I suppose that's another option - buy the books and work through them alone. That gives me the fear though, no support! And can you still be a student member of AAT if you are not attached to a college/provider?

Too many options and questions, it's making my decision-making a nightmare!! Good Luck with your Auditing!
  • Whirlwind
    Whirlwind Registered Posts: 249 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Yeap, I registered with BPP, then book an exam (at least 4wks in advance) after having worked through the books.

Ive tried to self-teach the subjects that I am familiar with, although Costs & Revenues wasnt easy!

I found it helpful to look over the contents of the books and even the CBAs to get an overview on whether I can do it alone or via online classroom. Fortunately work at a Chartered Accountants as a assistant accountant / bookkeeper so have lots of support when I'm desperate! I suppose it depends on how you like to learn.

Happy hunting!
  • Clarekaye
    Clarekaye Registered Posts: 307
    Eagle Education is who I am through, pretty flexible with payments.

Its alot cheaper than anywhere else but i have to pay for the exams as and when (although my company pay me back!)

Feedback from tutors seems pretty much the same as anywhere else, very helpful & as quick as they can be.

They use osbourne books & there own a4 folders PACKED full of info & tests.

:thumbup:
  • JnClaude E Clifford
    JnClaude E Clifford Registered Posts: 19 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Do not go with Home Learning College. They a rip off. Kaplan i fine is a great provider, helpful.

Some of the modules you could do via self study. Buy the books from Amazon. once you ready book the exams as an external person through Kaplan. You could save a lot of money that way. I managed all of Level 3 that way.

Good luck
    JC
  • JnClaude E Clifford
    JnClaude E Clifford Registered Posts: 19 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Do not go with Home Learning College. They a rip off. Kaplan i fine is a great provider, helpful.

Some of the modules you could do via self study. Buy the books from Amazon. once you ready book the exams as an external person through Kaplan. You could save a lot of money that way. I managed all of Level 3 that way.

Good luck
    JC
  • Evie
    Evie Banned User Posts: 14 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Hey, m with Premier Training and theyre a great provider. I heard bad thing about Kaplan on forums and from study partners and i need all the help i can get as im not very self motivated lol theyre the cheapest i found and i getthe same service. I got to pay over 4 payments too which always helps. Good luck.
  • torresgbr
    torresgbr Registered Posts: 38 Regular contributor โญ
    I studied level 2 with HLC. The tried Premier for level 3. I really struggled and couldn't get on with them.

I can understand that for the greatly reduced price compared to HLC things would be different. But I couldn't get on with them.
    On the plus side assignments were marked within 24 hours.
  • ykwong1978
    ykwong1978 Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor โญ
    I am with Kaplan Distant Learning for level three as my employers are paying for the course. Other than the fact there are a lot of errors in the book, I do not mind them. I have two modules left, and will probably continue my studies with them.

PROS
    There is an en-gage website that you can sign up to with Kaplan, and they have a few nice features on there that makes it worthwhile, and there is a document that notes the errors in the books, so that helps alleviate the errors if you have time to amend the book.

Plus they have mock papers, and test to help you which you can do online, and then you get the errors and highlight the areas where you may need to study. Although you only are able to use this for two years since enrolling so my access will be disconnected in June 2012 (I have been slow and taking a break in between)

CONS
    They do have plenty of errors, but if you study well, you spot them quite easily. When they sent me my books, they did send me a small sheet with the errors spotted, so that I could amend it, and it seems they are continually amending this list as they are spotted.

CONCLUSION

I have been with Kaplan since Level 2, and will continue with them unless something drastic happens.

To be honest, if my employers were not paying, then I would probably just buy the books, and work my through it, and the support on here is invaluable, as everyone is willing to give advice.
Privacy Policy