First Ltd Co Client! - Checklist help

JamesB
JamesB Registered Posts: 51 Epic contributor 🐘
Hello all,

I have now got my first Limited Company client and want to make sure I am organised and set up for everything!

Please see below the list of items that I think need to be completed/filed.

I would appreciate it if you could pick me up on anything I have missed.

1) Preparation of annual statutory accounts

Once signed to be filed with companies house within 9m 1day of year end.

Submit corporation tax computation to HMRC within 9m 1day of year end.

2) Personal Tax Returns

File to HMRC for directors of company before or on 31st Jan xx

3) P11D's

File to HMRC for directors and relevant staff, deadline July xx.

4) Annual Return

File to companies house yearly

Before doing any of the above:

-Write to previous accountants requesting professional clearance and asking for previous years tax returns etc etc (do I need to request statutory books such as memorandum of association??).

-Get directors to fill out change of registered office form and send to Companies House.

-Fill out form 64-8 to authorise me as agent.

-Set up all the relevant online services on HMRC website.

Is there anything I have missed?

This particular client already uses the services of a payroll company who prepare the monthly wages and files all the relevant forms with HMRC.

Thanks in advance.

J

Comments

• reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    JamesB wrote: »
    1) Preparation of annual statutory accounts

Once signed to be filed with companies house within 9m 1day of year end.

Submit corporation tax computation to HMRC within 9m 1day of year end.

I think accounts to Companies House have to be submitted within 9 months of the year end(not 9 months and one day).

Also, I think full accounts, ct600 and tax comp need to be submitted within a year of the year end.

When you mention 9 months and 1 day I think you're thinking of the corporation tax payment deadline.

2) Personal Tax Returns

File to HMRC for directors of company before or on 31st Jan xx

31/01/2013 for tax year 06/04/2011 - 05/04/2012

3) P11D's

File to HMRC for directors and relevant staff, deadline July xx.

06th July 2012 for tax year 06/04/2011 - 05/04/2012

4) Annual Return

File to companies house yearly

You can find out the deadline for annual returns by checking the companies house website.

Re: Statutory Books; I think you should request these just in case there's anything unusual.

You'll need to request the company's authentication code for online filing of accounts to Companies House.
  • JamesB
    Thanks for taking the time to post reader.

Regarding the submission of the CT600, full accounts and tax comp to HMRC do you know if I could send this via post or does it have to be online?

Only reason I ask is because the previous accountants have prepared the CT600 and have given me the paper copy along with the tax comp but have left it to me to send it off along with the full signed accounts.

In terms of requesting authentication code for annual return do you mean requesting this from previous accountants? I assumed once companies house received the change of registered office form I could ask for a new authentication code?

Thanks again,

James
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Thanks for taking the time to post reader.

Regarding the submission of the CT600, full accounts and tax comp to HMRC do you know if I could send this via post or does it have to be online?

Only reason I ask is because the previous accountants have prepared the CT600 and have given me the paper copy along with the tax comp but have left it to me to send it off along with the full signed accounts.

In terms of requesting authentication code for annual return do you mean requesting this from previous accountants? I assumed once companies house received the change of registered office form I could ask for a new authentication code?

Thanks again,

James

My pleasure; I'm currently filling out my MiP application form and hope to be in your situation by the end of the year.

I think that the full accs, ct600 and tax comp have to all be submitted online via ixbrl tagging. I think you may have to register for online filing. I think the HMRC website has an online filing tool if I'm not mistaken.

Just out of interest, why are the previous accountants not filing the accounts? Surely this is there responsibility?

I think the easiest way to request the company's authentication code would be to ask the previous accountants.
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    The abbreviated accounts can be posted to Companies House but the Corp tax return and full accounts and computations have to be submitted online. HMRC does have their own free software - it's pretty grim though! Or you can use VT accounts and FTax to file it (or other more expensive software of course).

The authentication code you can ask the previous accountants for or you can go onto companies house and ask them to re-send it - it always gets sent to the registered office. Also, I think it's normally mentioned on the reminder to file an annual return.
  • cheapaccounting
    cheapaccounting Registered Posts: 77 Regular contributor ⭐
    Just to check - does the payroll provider also file the employer end of year returns and provide P60s.

I always find that it is best to set out your responsibilities in an engagement letter – you would be surprised how often someone says “but I assumed you would do that”.

Is the company vat registered?
  • JamesB
    Yes the payroll company provide P60's and file end of year returns.

They are VAT registered and I have already had them added to my agent list so I can submit their returns online.

I will wait a couple of weeks to give Co House chance to process the change in registered office form and then will request the authentication code, which will get posted to my address.

Seems strange to me that the previous accountants prepared the year end accounts and tax comp, filed the abbreviated accounts online to Co House but sent me the paper copy of the tax comp / CT600 / Signed accounts and said they will leave it up to me to submit this to HMRC.

I assume it will simply be a case of plugging the numbers from them into the HMRC system?
Privacy Policy