uncovered misdemeanour?

paulr
paulr Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor ⭐
I have a Ltd company client with Tax,Paye,and Cis obligations as well as Company house reporting
as Company secretary.
Yesterday I noticed a change of Company name made by special resolution on company house website;
after speaking to the client he informed me his solicitor had performed the task under special resolution, I obviously was not briefed;
Question -- what should I do as regards submitting accounts, year end Paye etc and what about Client relationship?
company registration has remained the same.
thanks for any input,
Paulr.

Comments

• Rachel
    Rachel Registered Posts: 348 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Is it just that he forgot to inform you? Or has the relationship broke down?

If it has broken down just disengage and resign as secretary.

If he has forgot just inform HMRC, companies house should do this automatically for Corporation Tax and carry on.

Or have I missed something?
  • jamesm96
    jamesm96 Registered Posts: 523
    Rachel wrote: »
    Is it just that he forgot to inform you? Or has the relationship broke down?

If it has broken down just disengage and resign as secretary.

If he has forgot just inform HMRC, companies house should do this automatically for Corporation Tax and carry on.

Or have I missed something?

Yeah I completely, agree. If he just forgot / didn't think to tell you, there's no big deal. It's not like he has lots of sales that he hasn't told you about or adjusting the accounts / tax returns without telling you.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    jamesm96 wrote: »
    Yeah I completely, agree. If he just forgot / didn't think to tell you, there's no big deal. It's not like he has lots of sales that he hasn't told you about or adjusting the accounts / tax returns without telling you.
    Also agreed. If he's just changed the name and not done anything else wrong, the only things he's done 'wrong' are either a) forgetting/not thinking to tell you and b) paying a solicitor to do something really simple!
  • cheapaccounting
    cheapaccounting Registered Posts: 77 Regular contributor ⭐
    Quite unusual to have a co secretary these days.

I think it is maybe a tad harsh to describe as a misdemeanour. Obviously the change of name does need to be reported to HMRC as well - so I would use this as a way to have a friendly chat with your client to see if this was done or if you can help - making the client appreciate that he / she maybe should have included you.
Privacy Policy