Why do AAT?

maria2601
maria2601 Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
Hi,

I am in the course of enrolling on the AAT level 2 and have asked my boss if the company could help me with the costs towards the course. He has not said no, but has put to me that I have to sell it to him.. ie.. how would me studying the course be beneficial to the company.
I currently do all the bookkeeping work till the end of year , ie the purchase and sales ledger, vat returns, raising invoices, bank reconcilliation etc.. Even though I do all these tasks I feel that I can learn the underlying laws and process of what I do if I do my AAT.
Basically I am stuck on how to sell the course to my boss, as I am not sure how to word it (Engish never being my top subject!lol) Can any of you guys help? It would be greatly appreciated and may save me a few hundred pounds!:001_smile:

Comments

• StuartW
    StuartW Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Hi Maria,

I'm sure you'll get some good, practical responses on this - and to those I would add that reading through these recommendations may give you some more ideas on how to sell it to your boss.

Stuart
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Do try to sell it in writing, so you got some time to think of how to word it, especially if English isn't your strong point as you say. (By all means, no comment on your skills).

You already pointed out that it can help you with understanding the underlying rules and laws of accounting, which is a good point to make.

It will help the business as you would gain more knowledge about what you are doing and therefore less likely to make errors (not saying you do!) and it would help for you to understand what the reason is why you are doing it, therefore it would help in anticipating the companies need and you would be better able to deal with changes in workload and prioritizing your work.

Yes, it will cost the company money, but it would gain some more loyalty from you, as you would be committed to stay with the company as they help you develop and grow in your current role. (Think about possible pay back contracts for two or three years after you finished studying).

Hopefully that will give you some ideas and you'll get some more opinions soon!
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hello Maria

Have you considered studying AAT through an apprenticeship route?

I don't know all the fine details of the schemes, but it may be a way of obtaining the qualification with your company only paying a small contribution towards the overall costs. There are certain criteria that you need to meet but I have promoted this scheme to people who I support in finance at work as I really think this qualification is fantastic!

If you need any help or have any questions please ask here or send me a private message and I'll do my best to help you.

Please take a look at this website as there is a lot of information here http://www.aat.org.uk/qualifications/aat-apprenticeships-for-students

Let us know what your boss decides.

All the best.

JC :o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Jo Clark wrote: Β»
    I don't know all the fine details of the schemes, but it may be a way of obtaining the qualification with your company only paying a small contribution towards the overall costs.

Information about funding http://www.aat.org.uk/qualifications/funding

Lots of useful information here and it is dependent on your age and location, but I think if you are really keen it is worth a look :o I know people of various ages studying through the apprenticeship scheme at my college ranging from late teens, mid thirties to late fourties. Go for it... you won't regret it :)
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • mrb82
    mrb82 Registered Posts: 147 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    It will benefit your employer as you will gain an operational understanding about what you are doing. You'll be able to recognise and implement processes that could potentially cut costs and work in their favour.
  • Dcollins
    Dcollins Registered Posts: 179 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Here are a few points.

1. AAT develops practical skills, not just a paper qualification. It's vocational and can be completed in 2-3 years.

2. Once qualified you'll be able to:

Prepare financial statements, which could give your employer a good negotiating point to reduce the fees charged by the accountants doing the year-end reports and returns.

Prepare financial reports and other management information - so your employer becomes better informed on key trends in the business, and can take action to save money or increase income.

Have an understanding of tax computations, so help with timing of purchases and sales to legitimately save tax.

Set up and manage systems for budgets, stock control, cost accounting, and cash reconciliations, saving time and controlling resources to minimise loss and optimise profit.

Set up and manage credit control procedures - ie. improving the time it takes customers to pay, and minimising the risk of bad debts.

Obviously, you can reword any of that to suit your company's activities, but I hope it helps.
  • honada
    honada Registered Posts: 28 Regular contributor ⭐
    Studying towards a qualification in accountring will not only improve the process you are implementing and documenting the information as you are currently doing, it is a step further to analyse the management reports and give feedback on how the company is performing and provide insight on how to improve.

good luck
  • SarahJS
    SarahJS Registered Posts: 273 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I don't really feel like I can add anything to the 'how it will help in the workplace', but have you thought about how you are going to study?

This would have implications on cost to the employer, so the may be more interested in a cheaper way to study. If you study distance learning with no time off work to study, this will cost the employer much less than day release to college, so the may be more willing to fund it. Definately look into the apprenticeship route mentioned above too.

If you're happy to stay with your current employer I would mention the idea of signing a trainin agreement that you will sty for so long after getting the qualification, the employer would then definately gain from your AAT skills longer.

Good luck getting the funding!
  • stevef
    stevef Registered Posts: 258 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    May also be worth adding to your business case that as an AAT member/student you will be able to keep upto date with changing legislation and new processes/systems. You will be able to tap into networks where best practice is shared which will help improve efficiency in the business.
Privacy Policy