Can't decide on a name!

mrb82
mrb82 Registered Posts: 147 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
With two weeks left until our little girl arrives, my ife and I can't decide between Isabella and Sophia. One of us likes the one name, the other likes the other.

Which do people prefer?
ยซ1

Comments

• PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I like Isabel.
  • SarahJS
    SarahJS Registered Posts: 273 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Both names seem to be 'in' at the moment.

I think I prefer Isabella, but only because I like names that can be shortened! I'm sure my mum on the other hand would prefer Sophia because that can't really be shortened into much else! Between the pair of you it might be worth discussing the shortened versions and if you like them or not, it can be quite hard to insist that she is called Isabella if you like that name but not Issy, for example!

Congratulations :)
  • PGM
    Both names seem to be 'in' at the moment.

I think I prefer Isabella, but only because I like names that can be shortened! I'm sure my mum on the other hand would prefer Sophia because that can't really be shortened into much else! Between the pair of you it might be worth discussing the shortened versions and if you like them or not, it can be quite hard to insist that she is called Isabella if you like that name but not Issy, for example!

Congratulations :)

I know a couple of people that are shortened to Soph. Or the other could end up shortened to Bella.
  • mrb82
    Wife likes Isabella and will shorten it to Issy or Bella, I like Sophia and wife does not like Soph or Sophie.
  • SarahJS
    SarahJS Registered Posts: 273 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    mrb82 wrote: ยป
    Wife likes Isabella and will shorten it to Issy or Bella, I like Sophia and wife does not like Soph or Sophie.

I like Sophia, but do not like Soph at all (Sophie is OK). I don't really like Isabella, but do like Issy (not so much Bella!).

It's all personal preference, and completely down to you both to decide! You'll be stuck with saying the name for a long time to come so it's best to know you BOTH like it.

PS: Isabella and Sophie go well together... maybe another in a couple of years?
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ

How about both names, so she has a middle name or are you not wanting that or do you have one already picked out??? Isabella Sophia

Congratulations and hope all goes well with the arrival :)

Keep us posted!
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • PGM
    Wife likes Isabella

Think thats your answer ;)
  • Diddy Mau
    Diddy Mau Registered Posts: 238 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    With two weeks left until our little girl arrives, my ife and I can't decide between Isabella and Sophia. One of us likes the one name, the other likes the other.

Which do people prefer?

Hi Mrb82,
    First of all, congratulations

I would say, wait and see.
    My wife has just given birth to our baby boy, and we also had two names in mind, and we could not decide.
    We finally agreed on waiting and see what the baby looks like, there is no point choosing a name and looking at her and thinking, but she doesn't look like a Isabella or Sophia.
    Once we seen our child, we knew what name to choose as he only suited one of them.

Keep us informed:laugh:
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Congratulations.

I like Isabella - prefer Isabel - but would naturally shorten either to (pronounced) Izzy... sweet for a baby/child and quite cool as an adult.
  • Becky V
    Becky V Registered Posts: 374 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Hi Mrb82,
    First of all, congratulations

I would say, wait and see.
    My wife has just given birth to our baby boy, and we also had two names in mind, and we could not decide.
    We finally agreed on waiting and see what the baby looks like, there is no point choosing a name and looking at her and thinking, but she doesn't look like a Isabella or Sophia.
    Once we seen our child, we knew what name to choose as he only suited one of them.

Keep us informed:laugh:

I agree with Diddy Mau, we were exactly the same with both our children, we had 2 names in mind for each and as soon as they were born we knew exactly what name to choose! Congratulations by the way :)
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I'd go for Sophie or Sophia, based on the meaning as well as the sound of it, but to be fair, a name is so personal, you mioght want to wait and see as is already suggested! :)

Congratulations on the soon to be sleepless nights!
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hi

Had a vote at work an it was a tie 2 all, so sorry can't help. I did vote for Isabella.

Congratulations to you both.

Jan
  • Yazi
    Yazi Registered Posts: 225 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Often it depends alot on your surname.

My surname has a 'c' at the beginning and a 'k' at the end so avoided these in the first name.
    Would have been too 'c' lky..

Anyway -

I like them both.
    You could have one as a middle name....
    Or a double barrell?

Isabella-Sophia
    Sophia-Isabella
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Sophia for me.

But once she is born, I have a feeling you will look at her and just know.
  • Abel
    Abel Registered Posts: 46 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Isabella is the WAY :D . First things first. CONGRATULATIONS on the big event. Hope she will grow and be always happy and healthy. Now the name, I prefer Isabella over Sophia anytime of the day hehe. But a smart thing to do would be to give her both names, just so you and your wife both feel like you had your part in naming her. So just call her Isabella
    Sophia. I am saying this since i have two names as well Abel Alexandru, and sometimes i just find it great and amusing. So i do not think you or her will ever regret it. Once again, WELL DONE and good luck.
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hi Mrb

Congratulations and good luck!

You don't say what your surname is, which might make a difference to what people suggest. Ours is Mattocks and when we were thinking about names Lorna was one suggestion, but we thought Lorna Mattocks sounded like something you might find in a launderette :lol: we had a son, so girls names didn't matter in the end.

For our second child I went into labour not having any names planned, we didn't know what we were having and couldn't agree on anything anyway - to the point where our 9 year old was suggesting that we used the telephone number ..... so that the child would learn that too!!!!!

The baby was born and we still didn't have a name; I decided on two names whilst my husband went to collect our other son from school. We agreed not tell anyone any names for a couple of weeks until we knew if the name suited the baby, but it very quickly did.

As others have said, once you see your baby you will know which name suits - it may be that you end up choosing something completely different.

Give yourself the time and freedom to think about it and don't be afraid to change it if it isn't right for the baby, you have only really had 7 months to think of a name which needs to last a lifetime!

PS. I think both names are lovely, and it isn't right for me to choose for YOUR baby!

PPS. They sometimes get scans wrong and you could have a boy

PPPS. If it is a boy then you definitely need to think of another name. :thumbup:
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    to the point where our 9 year old was suggesting that we used the telephone number ..... so that the child would learn that too!!!!!

:lol:
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
  • mrb82
    Thank you all for the replies and suggestions :)

I think it comes down to one thing. What my wife says. The name will be shortened and I quite like Bella. We may well see what she looks like first, it may just fit! The middle name is already decided, she will have my wife's which is Elizabeth (our son had my middle name, James).

I'll keep you updated with the progress.... We're going for a curry on Friday night :)
  • Yazi
    Yazi Registered Posts: 225 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Its funny, my neice has a dutch name (as she was born in dutchland)
    Ellemieke. (pronounced...Ellameeka)
    And guess what it was shortened to? Yes....Elle (Pronounced Ella)
    Then Ella Bella was somehow created...

So now she says to people..."please call me....Ella Bella...."

She gets called any of these... Ella, Bella, Mieke,

You never know where a name will end up!

And her best friend is called Issy...(Yes, Isabelle)
  • katie2008
    katie2008 Registered Posts: 294 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    If my baby was female, I would have named her sophia. so you know what camp I am in..

:)
  • SashaDella
    SashaDella Registered Posts: 362
    Im for Isabella,

Maya is my favourite girls name though
  • Yun
    Yun Registered Posts: 25 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Issy sounds lovely! :001_smile:
  • katie2008
    katie2008 Registered Posts: 294 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Any sign yet, officially overdue now.

I still have a month left (ish) :001_smile:
  • mrb82
    Isabella was born on the 11th, 9lb 2oz :)
  • BeccaLouJ9
    BeccaLouJ9 Registered Posts: 896 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Congratulations!! Big baby! :) Welcome to the world Isabella!

B x
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Congratulations!
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Lovely news. Congratulations.
  • PGM
    Isabella was born on the 11th, 9lb 2oz :)

Great news, hope baby Issy and family are doing well :)
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Congratulations
Privacy Policy