What do you drive?

Monsoon
Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
Someone commented about drives on another thread so I thought I'd do a "what do you drive" thread.

Me? 2002 BMW 3 series compact (320d).

At the weekends: 2.8Tdi Mitzi Pajero / Lotus Elise 111R (the other half's drives, but I get to play too).

What about you? And what do you really want?

I do want both a Jag and an Aston at some point in my life, but if it came down to spending that kind of money I'd probably rather go for shoes :lol:
Β«1

Comments

• PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I have an very old very slow Land Rover. I don't want to change it for anything :)
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I have a little black kia picanto called Ella, she's nearly 6 now and I love her. Will be sad to see her go.

My favourite car though was dear Betty who was a mini mayfair - brilliant fun but I just couldn't keep up with the repair bills. I would very much love another old mini as a 'Sunday Car' one day!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    PGM wrote: Β»
    I have an very old very slow Land Rover. I don't want to change it for anything :)
    What kind? We had an old Series 3, many years ago...
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
    The Bus :( I'd like to be able to drive, but lessons and getting a first car on the road are beyond my budget for the forseeable....
  • PGM
    Monsoon wrote: Β»
    What kind? We had an old Series 3, many years ago...

Not quite that old, it's the one after, the Defender 90. Sometimes feels more like a tractor than a car, especially in winter when its iced up inside, and you get a slow shower of freezing water during your journey.. But it has character :D
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    A 2009 Toyota Yaris 1.33 Tr, for 3 years I had a Toyota Prius, loved it but I think it was a Friday car, I had a fair bit of bother with the brakes, one of the repairs just as it went out of warranty would have cost Β£1,100 so it had to go as soon as the warranty run out.

If I had loads of dosh I would go for a Nissan Leaf for a weekday car or when carting kids and shopping about and a Nissan 350 Z or Audi TT quattro for a non kid's car.

I am currently trying to get a garage to convert my car to LPG, ifI can get that done then I will probably keep the current car until it falls to bits.
  • MarkT
    MarkT Registered Posts: 302
    2005 Renault scenic in accountant grey... Only bought because my fiancee had two dogs at the time. My car is a 1997 MGF which is currently sitting under wraps in the garage as her head gasket blew a while back and its not a viable fix at this point in time :crying:

That said, I am aiming for either a new megane coupe or convertible as their diesel engines are punchy and extremely economical and Β£110 a year road tax is an absolute bargain :001_smile:
  • Abel
    Abel Registered Posts: 46 Epic contributor 🐘
    :D I really admire you guys:D Sad i can't post anything here. I am kinda scared to drive, not scared really, but, unsure. It's not just about me, its about the other drivers too:D But, since we are on "What do you drive" Topic, my dream is to drive a Nissan 350Z one day:D but for my first car. No ideea :blushing:
  • villapb
    villapb Registered Posts: 357
    bmw m6
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Sadly I'm currently driving a Ford Fiesta named Fifi. When the kids started school last September I realised with a 60 mile a day round trip that an Audi A6 Avant with 160,000 miles on the clock probably wasn't the best idea. It being the size of a small house also didn't help at school pick up time when trying to squeeze into non existent parking spaces next to all the chelsea tractors driven by the yummy mummies. So hubby now has the Audi and I have to drive the toy car. Imagine my disgust when we found out the mpg on b****y Fifi is barely any more than the so called gas guzzling Audi. Even worse, hubby had had to give up his beloved BMW to buy the Fiesta. Sometimes Fifi does get called another name that starts with a rude word beginning with F and ends with Face.

My dream car is a Noble M400.

And don't be feeling sorry for Fifi being called names, she deserves it - especially when her clutch cable falls off and the RAC man has to come and put it back on again constantly. In a 3 year old car !!!!!!

Actually I should watch what I'm saying about her, she might read this and break down on purpose.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    coojee wrote: Β»
    I realised with a 60 mile a day round trip that an Audi A6 Avant with 160,000 miles on the clock probably wasn't the best idea.
    I have that Audi A6 Avant - we have one car (my husband is a cyclist) so we had to be sure we can get bikes in the back!! I have to say I love it but it's not the most efficient car I've had.

Bore that I am I would love an A3 convertible but only when the children aren't at home anymore, they need a bit of legroom!!! Absolute dream would be an R8 (I'm obviously a bit of an Audi fan)
  • Louise89
    Louise89 Registered Posts: 296 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I have a silver Peugoet 206 called Monty :) - most embarrassingly, I can never spell Peugoet correctly when filling in car related forms...

My ultimate dream car is an Aston Martin DB9 or more realistically, a sporty red Audi TT at some point in the future and a Honda 600 repsol repilca! :D
  • Louise89
    Louise89 Registered Posts: 296 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Abel wrote: Β»
    my dream is to drive a Nissan 350Z one day:D but for my first car. No ideea :blushing:

I've counted at least 5 or 6 Nissan 350Zs in the car park at my work! They do seem to be rather popular.
  • mrb82
    mrb82 Registered Posts: 147 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    T reg 206 1.4. It's my wife's car, my car was written off last year.

It's only a 3 door so going to be fun fitting 2 kids and shopping in :s

Dream car is an Aston Martin DB9, but would really like a newish car of any Estate size! Too much debt at the moment to be able to afford another car, so it's my motivation to succeed at AAT and get a well paid job to be able to pay off debt and be able to afford a few nicer, newer things :) Hoping my next job comes with a company car!

PS - I am going to work for Aston Martin one day. One day....
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    Louise89 wrote: Β»
    I've counted at least 5 or 6 Nissan 350Zs in the car park at my work! They do seem to be rather popular.

Of course they are popular, better performance etc. than a porsche and about half the price.

My 8 year old son announced while watching the advert on tv the other night that my next car had to be a Renault Twizzy as he knows I am desperate for an enviornmentally friendly economical car, however as my work round trip is 50 miles, most of it over bleak, windy (not bendy, the weather kind) country roads it is really not practical, that is what the dream Nissan Leaf is for.
  • Lynn S
    Lynn S Registered Posts: 13 New contributor 🐸
    I drive an Audi A6 estate. Not my dream choice but I have 3 children so had to have something practical. Also have a 1973 VW Beetle which I love.

Dream car would be an Audi TT once the kids are bigger and I don't have to ferry them around here there and everywhere
  • iskcel
    iskcel Registered Posts: 34 Regular contributor ⭐
    2002 VW Sharan - There's not much choice when it comes to needing a car big enough that the kids 4 car seats fit in properly!

My dream car is a Lotus Europa though I doubt I would get to drive it for long as I would rack up the point fairly quickly and my licence would be gone! Hubby already think I drive to fast just imagine what I would be like in my dream car.
    Track day for me I think!!!
  • katz568
    katz568 Registered Posts: 93 Regular contributor ⭐
    Peugeot 307sw at the moment. Dream is something small and sporty but have to wait until kids leave home. Boss has a 370z which is a lovely car but I'm another one who would probably rack the points up pretty quickly and lose my license if given a chance to play in one.
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Clapped out Volvo V70 to lug the kids around on the school run. It's over ten years old and the only thing it has ever failed the MOT on is tyres, very comfy.

Also love driving my bright green defender which my husband lovingly rebuilt for me over three years.

Dream car would be an Aston, but no where to sling the kids or the dog
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    2011 MINI Cooper, diesel but incredibly punchy for diesel! Would have loved it in a convertible but just didn't think it was practical and would just be constantly worried of someone getting bored with a knife!

Economical, had nearly a 60 mile round trip each day when I got it, but had an interview on the same day as I got the car and got a job only 12 miles away. This job ain't worked out so taking a change of direction with a new job and will now be using the train! Keeping the car though! :001_smile:
  • geek84
    geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi Folks

I drive a fiesta which is 10 years old! I'm thinking of changing it either this year or next year and buy an Audi A4. Does anybody drive an Audi A4? If so, what is your opinion in terms or the car's reliablity. easyiness to drive etc?

Thanks
  • PGM
    I'm surprised at how many of my friends always use loans to buy cars, and when the loans paid they get a new one. Fair enough if you do a lot of commuting.. But you're always paying so much out in interest!
  • AmyRichardson
    AmyRichardson Registered Posts: 89 Regular contributor ⭐
    I drive a 2012 Fiat 500 twin air plus. I had all the extras to make sure that I love it, wont get bored of it, and keep it for a good 5 years!

The mpg is the only thing that dissapoints me, coming in at 40-42 after doing 1900 miles, when supposed to get upto 70!

Anyway, dream car would be Audi TT quattro or A5 S line!

My aim is to get one of the above when I am ACCA qual!! 3 years to go lol.....:001_tongue:
  • Abel
    Abel Registered Posts: 46 Epic contributor 🐘
    AMAZING Louise. You must be living in an area with rich people. They are popular yes, but so expensive to buy and maintain.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I drive a ten year old Astra (apparently called "Roxy") with extremely low profile alloys: the wheels (or name) weren't my idea, they came with the car which I bought off my sister.

Not into buying (nearly) new cars and paying three hundred or so quid a month on a loan, would rather have an older one and only spend a fraction of that each year on maintaining it. I catch the train to work every day so only generally drive a couple of hundred miles per month.

Fastest car I've ever driven - an Audi RS4, originally owned by Alan Mcnish when he was a test driver for Audi but now owned by one of my bosses: almost 500bhp and 200mph.... I drove it veeeerrrry carefully.
  • Dcollins
    Dcollins Registered Posts: 179 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    A 7 year old Corolla, bought new, but now smells of dog. Intend to keep it until it's been run into the ground and probably not replace it.

My other half has an Audi A4. It's some sort of special edition Quattro thingy (I'm not into cars) with all the bells and whistles, and is automatic. Plenty of room inside, and very easy to drive and park considering the size of it. The lights and wipers do their own thing, and the doors lock themselves when you go over 10mph. As for reliability, it has completely conked out once - some technical problem that was under warranty, but needed a specially trained technician to sort out.

My husband used to have a Nissan 350z, but I was too scaredy to drive it.
  • geek84
    geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi Dcollins

Regarding the A4 your other half drives, you say it is easy to park & drive considering its size. What do you mean by that? Are there extra functions in the car, such as warning lights when you are getting close to another parked car etc?

Thanks
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    mitsubishi barbarian L200 - we lovingly call it "the beast".

we got it cos we ski and camp (not at the same time though) so needed the room in the back, but still like it comfy up front.

it is a fab car, got from north of germany to pisa in italy with only filling up once :))

glad i dont have to pay road tax over here, cos it would cost me over Β£400 for the year. when we move back to uk, we will be downsizing.

when (when not if) i win the lottery i will buy hubster and i matching aston martin DB9's

Tracy
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    taskey wrote: Β»
    mitsubishi barbarian L200 - we lovingly call it "the beast".

we got it cos we ski and camp (not at the same time though) so needed the room in the back, but still like it comfy up front.

it is a fab car, got from north of germany to pisa in italy with only filling up once :))

glad i dont have to pay road tax over here, cos it would cost me over Β£400 for the year. when we move back to uk, we will be downsizing.

when (when not if) i win the lottery i will buy hubster and i matching aston martin DB9's

Tracy

We have just bought one. It's only Β£210 road tax though as its a commercial vehicle. We've Ben looking for one for ages and finally managed to find a good one
    Regards,

Burg
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    burg wrote: Β»
    We have just bought one. It's only Β£210 road tax though as its a commercial vehicle. We've Ben looking for one for ages and finally managed to find a good one

200 - fab, over here the systm must print any figure on the tax disc.

i love mine and am really reluctant to give it up when we move back
Privacy Policy