ICAS Project and missed deadline?

katsutlieff
katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
I have to upload my project on the 6 May 2012. I was originally told by my tutor the end of May, regardless of this, I am no where near completing the project on time.

I have had next to no contact with the support tutor on this and I am not confident she will get back with feedback on the little I have completed. Isn't one of the requirements of the project to document all contact? It would be a very short paragraph

So what happens if I don't upload it? Will I be re entered with a new case study. If this is what will happen I will concentrate on my Financial Performance exam on the 8th and do the case study in May and June when all we are doing in college is revising for BTX and Budgeting.

Comments

• MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Hi katsulieff,
    I would upload whatever you have done so far - if you fail this time you have (I think!) another 2 attempts and a month before uploading again each time. Maybe your tutor could confirm on exact timing. We were also told that your tutor can give you more guidance/feedback once they have seen your project.

Good luck,
    MN
  • katsutlieff
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
    I will fail, so far all I have completed is

Terms of reference
    Organisation Background
    Analysis and evaluation of the accounting system
    SWOT

Can I upload a half finished project?
  • anniebabe
    anniebabe Registered Posts: 595 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Does anyone know what happens if we dont attempt it - and it doesnt get submitted - can we be given a new scenario at a later date and attempt it then?
  • katsutlieff
    Thats what I'm hoping annie. But I guess as I have downloaded the case study I will have to continue. The four months go really quickly added to which on MyAAT it gives the date 6 July so I have pushed it aside to focus on financial performance
  • anniebabe
    I think it may be worth a phone call - I am under the impression that if it is not completed in time - you are allowed to ask for a new scenario and start again - but I am not 100% - would need to double check with AAT.
  • katsutlieff
    okay I'm going to see how much I can get done on it today. I might ring my tutor in the morning and see what he says. When is yours due for submitting?
  • Diddy Mau
    Diddy Mau Registered Posts: 238 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Does anyone know what happens if we dont attempt it - and it doesnt get submitted - can we be given a new scenario at a later date and attempt it then?
    My project is due in two weeks. We were told by our tutor, if the project is not completed by the date.
    Then you need to buy a new senario, and start again
  • katsutlieff
    okay so I need to decide which I want to pay for again FNPF or ICAS, don't think I am going to achieve both in one week :blushing:

Thanks Diddy Mau
  • Simmyluvsu
    Simmyluvsu Registered Posts: 55 Regular contributor โญ
    I had a similar problem.
    My deadline was 29th February and I was under the impression that this was the deadline for my first draft, but after speaking to my tutor was told it was the final deadline!
    Your tutor should have the ability to extend your deadline - mine was extended to 23rd April!
  • katsutlieff
    Now I have just read somewhere else that the time given is sixteen weeks ie four months. If the time given is in weeks instead of months I have missed my deadline as it will make it 27 April instead of 6 May :ohmy:
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hello Kat

I have been told that when I start the project it is allocated 12 weeks and we are expected to allow at least 6 hours a week. We have also been advised that we should not be studying any other module at the same time.

Out of interest, those who study through a training provider, as this course is provided as online/distance learning, have you been released from work (day release) to complete your project, or are you working full time and completing the project in your own time? Those who attend a FE college, what provision has been allowed by your employer in respect of this, or has the college scheduled the project alongside the other modules?

Thanks all.

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • anniebabe
    Hi Jo
    We are supposed to be doing FNST, BTX and ICAS all at the same time!!!!! well not happy and unfortunately my ICAS has been shelved. :(
  • rwb
    rwb Registered Posts: 32 Regular contributor โญ
    Hi all,

My ICAS is due at the end of the month and I think (though I haven't checked) that if you log into 'Learnplus' where you can download the scenario it tells you your deadline somewhere on that page.

I'm checking this now as reading this is making me majorly paranoid that I've missed the deadline! lol!

Good luck to all!
  • rwb
    Can confirm that learnplus gives you your deadline. 31st May for me... worryingly close!
  • katsutlieff
    rwb, I'm even more confused now. Just checked the date of the case study, it says date/time 06 Jan 09.00 am. Then under assessment sure soon 06 July :huh:

Anniebabe, sounds like we are on the same timetable. Started January BTX, FNPF and ICAS
  • katsutlieff
    Think I might need to ring the AAT tomorrow.
  • rwb
    The assessments due soon bit is your deadline I would say, I think that's what my tutor told us. You have 6 months from when they 'activate' you to make your first submission then 3 or 4 months (can't remember which) to make any changes and resubmit if you don't pass first time, I believe you can resubmit up to 4 times. I really don't know where I'm getting this info from going back through my notes and emails to try and find the exact stuff.

If you do speak to AAT please do post whatever they tell you... think we could do with some clarifiaction!
  • sdv
    sdv Registered Posts: 585 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    The guidance on this unit from AAT is clear.

Before a student starts a project, it has to be agreed with assessor. The assessor will normally give input and guidance to students on how to complete the project. Or what are the project's objectives and requirements for students to demonstrate to cover all the criteria o this unit. Once this input is completed, a plan will normally be agreed between a student and an assessor that will show that the project will be completed within 4 months from that date a students starts to work on a project.

If a student is writing a project using a case study, it would be reasonable to assume that the clock starts ticking from the date a student has down loaded the case study.

To enable students to down load the case study, the college or a service provider has to set that up in a learn plus area. This is a platform for students to upload their work and assessor to assess it, mark it and give feedback to students. This can only be done for a maximum of 5 times through this platform. if the project is not marked as fully completed than a student will have to start all over again with a different case study.

When the college or a service provider schedules the case study download from the AAT, or for a student to upload their work, it is allowed a window of 6 months. 4 months given to students and 2 months for the college or the service provider to mark it. Although this window is set for 6 months, it can be extended provided there are good reasons to do so and the college / service provider can justify the reasons for extending the window.

If the project download accessibility has been set as say 1st January and the closing date is set at 30th June (6 months) the college can extend the closing date to say end of August because the student did not down load the case study until 1st March. (ie 6 months from the date student down loaded the case study)

It seems logical to set these time windows for students and college to complete and mark the projects within a time frame for maximum and efficient completion of this unit.
  • Chelle
    Chelle Registered Posts: 163 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I downloaded my case study 4th November and had until 25th May for the final submission to be uploaded.

Thankfully on my 5th and final submission, I have passed it :-)
  • pirate
    pirate Registered Posts: 469 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Hi Folks

Just to add a bit to the post by sdv.

It is absolutely the case then when you are ready your tutor will set up the case study on the LearnPlus environment and from this point you have 4 months to complete and the clock starts ticking there.

You should then download it and read it and make notes, you should then discuss it with your tutor for example title, how to get started and so on. This may be a really quick chat if you are happy or a bit longer if you are not sure at all.

You do have 5 submissions before the time expires but before you upload it have a chat with the tutor to say where you are with it and they will advise if it is worth a submission or if you should do a little bit more on it before submission, tbh I thinnk you should upload it.

I uploaded a completed document the first time I submitted it, but my tutor told me that many people don't and have a sort of broad outline of what they are putting in each section, this still counts as a submission and you will get formal feedback on it.

If you are close to the four month deadline and have submitted something discuss with your tutor where you are and it may be possible for them to extend it.

If you have done quite a bit of work and talked to your tutor they will know that you are working on it.

If however you haven't even spoken to them since the beginning and haven't written a word then the project will expire and you will have to purchase a new one.

I don't expect the tutors to chase me on this, I chose a distance learning provider because I am quite busy and wanted to do it in my own time, so I am happy to be the one to make the contact. When I do they have been fantastic.

I think the OP has done a fair amount - after all the whole project really starts from the SWOT and this has been done so essentially there is the Recommendations to improve (which will come from the SWOT) and the Cost/Benefit sections, and then of course the Exec Summary (which will flow when all the other sections are completed).

By uploading what you have done already you will get some feedback. Don't forget the tutors have a lot of projects to assess and give feedback on so if you make contact with them they will respond to you but unless you do and unless you upload something they won't be able to provide any feedback for you or even consider an extension to the time if they can do this at all.

I would give your tutor a ring, tell her you are going to upload it, together you can agree a timescale for doing the other bits of the project and she may be able to extend it.

You wouldn't want to waste all that hard work.

When I got my project I firstly did a SWOT and an outline, I did the methodology Intro, Accounts Department and part of an evaluation of the accounting system. Then I left it for 2 months (work got in the way and I keep putting it off) but then I just buckled down and to be honest it really took no time at all, probably around 4 - 6 hours, and a lot of this was formating and mapping.

I submitted my first draft within a week of the deadline, (although I thought I had uploaded it about 3 weeks before but I didn't confirm it on the LearnPlus web site. It was only because I was close to the deadline that I rang my tutor to see how it was all going and she told me it wasn't there, talked me through the upload process (what a div I was).
    She extended the deadline but infact gave me the feedback for changes within the timeframe on the system and its now in its final stages.

So don't waste what you have done and get in touch with the tutor and upload it, at least you will know if you are on the right lines.

HTH
  • katsutlieff
    Thanks for all the replies. I got an email from my tutor Monday night to say the project should be submitted the end of May and what I have done so far is good

So I have spent all week focusing on revision for Fnpf on Tuesday (ratio analysis had finally clicked). Someone from my course has just put on facebook that the deadline is tomorrow for casestudys and 31st May for work based projects:crying:

If I upload a half finished project is this better than none?

Bugger why didn't I ring the AAT
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    How reliable is this someone from your course, compared to your tutor?

If this means you missed your deadline, I would ring up the AAT, explain them that your tutor said it would be the end of May and that this is the deadline you have been working towards, rather than today, and see if they can be of any help in this. Most likely they tell you to go back to your study provider and have them do something, but I wouldn't want to just upload a half finished project.
  • katsutlieff
    Thanks Rinske, I'm more confident of the students information than my tutor/mentor. Between the two of them the lack of an coherent information has been minimum. After speaking to both my tutor and my mentor I'm still unsure of the process for submitting the report.

I will ring the AAT on Tuesday, but I think they will make me start again
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    I have copied 2 quotes
    My project is due in two weeks. We were told by our tutor, if the project is not completed by the date.
    Then you need to buy a new senario, and start again
    Your tutor should have the ability to extend your deadline

A contradiction.
    I am not involved in the project, but I often hear from students about it while I'm doing a revision class.

I believe that the second quote is true. I have heard of students who have contacted their tutors and had extra time added.
    My advice is to do exactly that: Contact your tutor. There may be conditions such a submitting some work to demonstrate that progress has taken place, but I have the impression that the tutor does have some discretion.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
Privacy Policy