Really worrying about Spreadsheet exam...

Options
amyjayne27
amyjayne27 Registered Posts: 314 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Morning all,

I am studying the Spreadsheets book and got through it quite fast. However coming to the practice exam it really threw me off and I'm really panicking!

The questions were really vague compared to the tasks in my Osborne book i.e. I expected specific details on what cell to put information, what column width/row height, text size etc etc. I am waiting to hear back from my tutor but I am getting myself into a big panic now.

Any advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Clintm15
    Clintm15 Registered Posts: 248 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi Amy,

I passed the spreadsheet project a couple of weeks ago. I'm a self studier and like yourself I use the Osborne books. I spent only 2 days looking at the book and I passed 21 out of the 23 tasks. I was surprised at how simplistic the project was. A lot of what was in the Osborne book didn't appear on the project.

You will be fine.
    AAT
    Level 2 - 2011
    Level 3 - 2012
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA
    F4 - Corporate Law - Dec 2015 (passed)
    F5 - Performance Management - Dec 2014 (passed)
    F6 - Taxation - Dec 2013 (passed)
    F7 - Financial Reporting - Jun 2014 (passed)
    F8 - Audit & Assurance - Dec 2015 (passed)
    F9 - Financial Management - Jun 2015 (passed)
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hi Amy

Don't panic I made a coupled of silly mistakes and still passed, it's quite any east exam, do the AAT practice exam and you'll be fine not much difference.

Good luck

Jan
  • amyjayne27
    Options
    Hi to you both and thanks for your replies.

I feel silly that I am struggling at this unit as I use Spreadsheets every day its just I thought the exam would be more like the tasks in the Osborne book which are very precise.

Fingers crossed I will be ok!

Any tips that will help me in the exam?

Thanks
  • dark_knight
    dark_knight Registered Posts: 14 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I have the osbourne books it understand that you have to do the assessment with a training provider, how are you managing to take just the exam without bpp or Kaplan etc?
  • vodkajules
    vodkajules Registered Posts: 38 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I did this exam on Monday, and it was very similar to the AAT practice assessment and a lot easier than I thought it would be. Just take your time in the exam and read the questions thoroughly, you have more than enough time to do the project, I finished with an hour to spare. Good luck
    AAT Level 2 - completed 2012
    AAT Level 3 - completed 2013
    AAT Level 4: - Completed
    Budgeting - passed April 14
    Financial Performance - passed June 14
    Financial Statements - passed August 14
    Personal Tax - passed October 14
    ICAS project - passed November 14
    Business tax -Passed 14th Jan 15
  • Sammmy88
    Sammmy88 Registered Posts: 283 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I agree with Vodka, it was very much like the AAT Practice one. Just make sure you relax and read the questions :-) I am sure you will be just fine! Good Luck!
    Level 2 - Passed 2011
    Level 3 - Passed 2012
    Level 4 - Passed 2014

Awaiting to start CIMA :)
  • Clintm15
    Clintm15 Registered Posts: 248 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I have the osbourne books it understand that you have to do the assessment with a training provider, how are you managing to take just the exam without bpp or Kaplan etc?

You will of course need the training provider to take the assessment.
    AAT
    Level 2 - 2011
    Level 3 - 2012
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA
    F4 - Corporate Law - Dec 2015 (passed)
    F5 - Performance Management - Dec 2014 (passed)
    F6 - Taxation - Dec 2013 (passed)
    F7 - Financial Reporting - Jun 2014 (passed)
    F8 - Audit & Assurance - Dec 2015 (passed)
    F9 - Financial Management - Jun 2015 (passed)
  • amyjayne27
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of your replies, maybe I am just panicking a bit I will carry on take the test and fingers crossed I will pass!

Thanks again
  • MarkT
    MarkT Registered Posts: 302
    Options
    Just try to not worry over it Amy,

I passed this a week or so back and as I use excel frequently did not have any issue as will anyone else who uses it with an amount of frequency. Some minor errors are allowed and even though I made some as I used the incorrect figure for one of the tasks, still passed as the formula (IF) worked.

One piece of advice would be that when you have to print the pages out, make sure that the columns are justified to show all the workings (especially when it comes to showing entire formula) and, also ensuring that your name and AAT number is on each sheet :001_smile: Good luck
  • hipchick10
    hipchick10 Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I'm studying on my own but using Kaplan books, is it me or do they contain lots of mistakes?
  • kewko
    kewko Registered Posts: 11 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    the spreadsheets questions basically will say what they want you to do but wont always say do it in cell A1 to D4 for example. Sometimes they say put the profit in row F or something but other than that its up to you to make it look pretty (I did in my exam)

kewko
Privacy Policy