Budgeting - Extended Writing Bits

Flakie
Flakie Registered Posts: 24 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
I have just sat my budgeting exam this morning and my gut feeling is that the calculations should be ok and hopefully part 2 of the written section; it was part one. I wasn't totally clear, no matter how many times I read it, clear about what it was they actually wanted. I looked at the aat extended writing bits and they basically for part one, just blurbed about more or less what was in the intro bit but with more details, but it was the second bit. It would be a shame to fail over one little bit. I just wrote about everything I could.

Does anyone know if you can fail the whole exam just on the wordy bit. The after analysing is a killer, along with the wait!!!

Thanks in advance xxx :001_unsure:

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hello Flakie

You need to achieve 70% in Part 1 and Part 2 of the exam. I am not sure how the marks are allocated across the questions in each part. Hopefully you will have done enought to pass.

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Flakie
    Thank you Jo

We all work so hard and the results mean so much, sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees. Also for the first few days after the exam your brain goes into overdrive trying to remember if what you answered was correct. It's just a waiting game now.

Thanks though, much appreciated xxx
  • Jo Clark
    Hello Flakie

You are welcome. I know how you feel :) Is this your first level 4 exam?
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Flakie
    Believe it or not I've (hopefully) only got financial statements left. It just feels so close now and feels slightly surreal. I just hope I've done enough on the written bits to gain a pass and then it's the last one which is amazing after 3 years of fun, but hard work :001_smile:

Have you got many left?
  • Jo Clark
    Business Tax in a few weeks followed by the project, so not long till I finish either, hopefully!
    Benjamin Franklin
  • FrancesD
    FrancesD Registered Posts: 21 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Hello Flakie

I sat my budgeting exam this morning - 13th June. I am in the same position as you. I answered all the calculations and did 2.3.
    However I left 1.5 until the end, and I lost 7 minutes due to a computer error.

I did the first part of 1.5 (badly - as I ran out of time), and did not do the second bit.

I hope I do not fail the whole exam on this question.I feel quite competent on the other 7 questions

Frances
  • Flakie
    Hi Frances D

So sorry to hear about the computer failure; the time you have is so valuable. Quite a few of my class Mates took the budgeting exam today and they all experienced the same as us. It was definitely the 2nd bit of the 1st written task that was frustrating and unclear.

If it makes you feel any better I have just read on one of the other forum posts which said that someone had feed back which said that they did not meet one of the written tasks, however they still passed the exam. So I'm really hoping that we have maybe done enough.

It's the waiting that doesn't help. Good luck though :001_smile:
  • FrancesD
    Hi Flakie

Did you pass your budgeting exam?

Frances
  • Flakie
    Sadly I'm still waiting. It's only been 2 weeks lol. Still checking every day though; can't help it :lol:
  • FrancesD
    Does anyone know how they mark this exam.
    A friend of mine says it is 25% for written part and 75% for calculations - hoping this is correct, but my tutor said that in FP it is 60% calculations and 40% written, but he does not know about budgeting.

Budgeting seems to have a pass rate of over 80%, against FP's pass rate of 50%.

In last years L4 - everyone in my tutors class passed budgeting, but only 6/17 passed FP.

I hate this 6 week wait. I prefer L3 where you get the results immediately, and do not have to post analyse exams in your head.

Frances
  • Flakie
    Hi Frances D

I am really not sure of the pass rate for each exam. I thought that you had to be 70% competent in both parts.

We have had a mixture of success rates so far with FP and PTX not taking any prisoners!

I have been lucky so far, I must have had my exams marked on a Friday, cos as I said before, just waiting on budgeting and the dreaded project (which has been submitted) and then it's full steam ahead for financial statements....... And then I get my life back! I will miss my classmates though.

When do you hope to reach the finish line.?
  • FrancesD
    HI Flakey

By pass rate I meant percentage of people who past the exam - not the pass mark. 80% of people pass budgeting and 50% FP.
    Yes pass mark is 70% in both exams.

Have you passed FNPF - If so you should be OK with budgeting.

I have FNPF next week. - That is the NASTY

Hope to finish by the end of the year.
  • Flakie
    As you can tell, my brain is all studied out; apologies for the 'thickness' :tongue_smilie:
    France's D

Yep, I have passed FP, it was ok. Just practice the calculations and utilise the CBA's and as for the written parts, just not only know your ratio's etc, but make sure you can explain the reason for the variances. I believe this is we're most slip up and read the 'blurb'!

I am sure you know more than you think. Best of luck btw it is a tricky one, but I know how you feel cos I am feeling the same about Fin Stat which is in 3 weeks x
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    I did the Financial Performance revision on Saturday as part of the conference and heard from two separate sources that there have been some candidates who passed Budgeting despite failing both the wordy questions. This agrees with the posts here. So, those of you who thought they did badly on those tasks all is not lost.
    Now you know you can still pass, put your minds at rest and stop fretting. And get on with your lives. You can look at your MyAAT on the 6th week after you took the exam, but what is the point of checking everyday?
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • FrancesD
    I phoned AAT this morning and they do not tell students how marks are allocated across questions.
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    That sort of information is not given to lecturers either.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • FrancesD
    Passed Budgeting today.

4 weeks + 6days (for the results).

I was expecting 6 weeks

Frances
  • Jo Clark
    Congratulations Frances