Career change into accounts

wabisabi
wabisabi Registered Posts: 130 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi everyone

I'm considering signing up for L2 Certificate with a medium term aim of eventually being self-employed. I have a fairly good (and secure) job at the moment but as I near (early!) retirement in a few years time I would like to have more independence and flexibility about where I live and how much I work.

The AAt forums seem really friendly and people seem willing to support each other so I'm posting this message in the hope that some of you might be able to share your own experiences of this, or your views about whether it is viable. One of the things I'm concerned about is whether I would need work experience to start taking on clients. This could be difficult for someone in their 50s!

Thank you

Comments

• janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hi Wabisabi

Welcome aboard, what kind of work are you in at the moment? You do need to provide a years work experience once you have completed all the levels to become a member. Not sure about the client question as not got that far myself yet, but I do know you are unable to take on any work you do not feel confident you can do.

I'm sure someone else will be able to help with this, as you say there a lot of helpful people on here.

Jan
  • wabisabi
    wabisabi Registered Posts: 130 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi Jan

thanks for your reply. I'm a middle manager in an FE college (so some experience of managing a budget). It's interesting about having to provide a year's work experience ... I'll check this out in the membership section of the main website so I know exactly what I need to provide.

I'm just researching this as a possiblity at the moment, so interested to know if anyone else has done this and if there were problems, difficulties, etc along the way.

Alex
  • omega man
    omega man Registered Posts: 283
    You can set yourself up as a student member in practice and simple book-keeping on sage once you are competent.
    I would say you can do this anytime from completing level 2 onwards.
    I do not even think you need any work experience either.
    I have 15yrs manual book-keeping experience and i am hoping i have just passed my level 3,i am thinking of doing peoples accounts on either sage or vt software.
    You can e-mail AAT about it,they are very helpful.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Well done! You go for it. I am changing my career a little too - still working as a MIP, but also teaching AAT and Maths. It's never too late for a change. Welcome aboard the forum.
Privacy Policy