Possible to pass Level 3 without doing level 2?

andrew stew
andrew stew Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
I want to do level 3 (only) as doing level 2 wouldn't be possible financially for me

Could I study the concepts outlined in level 2 on my own, using various books obtained from my Uni (course not accounting related) and online material on my own before moving onto level 3 and sitting the exam?

I'm taking the outline from the Premier Training website (shown below) and want to study these in a few months then move onto level 3, study for it and sit the exams successfully. Anyone ever done this?

Level 2 outline:

Basic accounting l
Principles of recording and processing financial transactions
Preparing and recording financial documentation
Processing ledger transactions and extracting a trial balance

Basic accounting II
Maintaining and reconciling the cash book
Banking procedures
Maintaining petty cash records
Maintaining the journal
Maintaining control accounts

Work effectively in accounting finance
Work effectively in accounting and finance

Basic costing
Basic principles of costing
Provide basic cost and revenue information

Computerised accounting
Computerised accounting

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hello Andrew

There is a skills test on the AAT website which will provide you with an indication regarding what level you could start your studies at - http://www.aatskillcheck.org/home.aspx

A lot of students either don't sit level 2 or do as you have mentioned in your post, study the units for background knowledge and start at level 3. If you have the mindset and determination I am sure you will be fine starting at level 3 but the choice is yours.

Hope this helps with your decision making.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Clarekaye
    Clarekaye Registered Posts: 307
    Hi,
    I did level 2 'fast track' through bbp, it only cost Β£125 for the materials and Β£80 exam fee and you only take one exam. Think it was something like aat, ABC.

The downside is now I am on level 3 alot of the things are totally new to me and I feel if I had done the full level 2 I would know more about them.
    :-)
  • baileyqueens
    baileyqueens Registered Posts: 27 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    As Clarekaye has said when on level 3 a lot of things are new, I had the same problem I passed level 2 way back in 2006 so starting level three this year was quite hard because so much had changed, but im sure you will be fine with the books and a good tutor. I was.

Dan
  • amyjayne27
    amyjayne27 Registered Posts: 314 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Hi Andrew,

As Jo said take the skills test and that will determine what level you should start at. I didnt do level 2, but did City & Guilds accounting course levels 1 and 2 so I was able to bypass level 2. I wasn't in an accounting role and only knew the basics and touch wood I have passed each level 3 exam first time so far.

Good luck :-)
  • NicF
    NicF Registered Posts: 108 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I was advised by friends and colleagues who had done AAT to do level two purely to understand the concept of double entry and debits and credits which I had never done before. I have to say, although I think I could have completed level 2 in just a few months instead of the year I spent doing it at college I'm really glad I did do level two first. If you've done double entry and debits and credits before then going in straight at level 3 wouldn't be too difficult but if not then I suggest getting a book and going through it yourself to see how you get on before deciding what level to start at.
  • wbauk2002
    wbauk2002 Registered Posts: 110 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I haven't done level 2 but I managed fine but if your worrying, buy the level 2 books, study then take the mock exams on aat website, then once your comfortable take level 3 properly
  • KaySarah
    KaySarah Registered Posts: 215 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I did it !! :001_smile:

I have just finished the entire L3 and passed the lot! Yeehah! ...

I didn't do L2, went straight to L3 after an interview and was accepted -0 but it's a huge learning curve from actually being in Industry to sitting in a classroom learning it "student style" and "student speak" .. having said that - I am absolutely delighted, thrilled and ecstatic to have passed all my modules (sat Ap1 & Ap2 on the same day - highly recommend doing this) and passed CMGT last Wednesday and ready now for L4.

I could not have done any of this without the help of some fabulous tutoring by an outstanding and innovative tutor (Sandy Hood) .. he is an inspiration and a joy!

Go for it Andrew - you'll work hard, but the self esteem you will gain will be worth it!
  • SashaDella
    SashaDella Registered Posts: 362
    I totally agree with NicF...

No point just jumping in, when it will only take Β£20 and maybe 3/4 weeks to go over the level 2 material. However if you have a good basic knowledge of book-keeping, then this is mainly what level 2 covers!

Good Luck :D
  • James Patterson
    James Patterson Registered Posts: 281
    Hi,

I would advise doing level 2 or at least getting the books to read.

Level 2 is quite easy, but it gives your a great basis to go onto level 3 as you get more in depth. Double entry is something i wouldn't be able to do if it wasn't for level 2.

If you learn the basics from level 2 i think that would be enough grounding information for you to build on, but i do think its important from personal experience.

Kind regards,
  • SamiH
    SamiH Registered Posts: 179 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I did a manual book keeping course back in 2004, but with the knowledge from that, plus working in a finance function already, the college decided I would be bored with Level 2, so I went straight in at Level 3.

Had I not had that backup of knowledge and experience, I would have definately gone in at Level 2.
Privacy Policy