How many hours a week do you study?

Roma129
Roma129 Registered Posts: 14 Regular contributor โญ
I am wondering how many hours each of you study per subject? I aim to study for 2 courses at the same time and study for about 10 hours each and more coming up to exams. What about you and do you find it depends on the level you're studying at?

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hello Roma

I think it depends whether you work or not, the level which you are studying and the actual module and your take on it. You may find some modules easier than others, enjoy some more than others etc.

There is also the factor of whether you are studying on your own as a distance learner or attending college. If you go to college you will need to follow the study plan the tutor has and will be expected to have completed homework etc. to maintain the level required to be ready for the exam.

I certainly found that I put more hours in to my studying when I moved from Level 3 to Level 4.

Are you just starting out on AAT? Will you be attending college or are you a distance learner?

Good luck.

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • aaron0121
    aaron0121 Registered Posts: 422
    Hi Roma,

For me personally it all depends on the subject. For some subjects you may find that you only need 1-2 hours of study time, however for other subjects you may have to study a lot longer. If you're going to be doing 2 courses at the same time, try and pace yourself through your study and try not to get bogged down with exams.
    AAT

Level 2 - 2010
    Level 3 - 2011
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA

F4 - 2015
    F5 - 2015
  • Roma129
    Hi Jo,

I have started level 2 in March with BPP and will be completing this level in August. I work full time and have so far done a combination of online and classroom courses but so far prefer online courses as they much faster and I can go through them in my own time. I agree with your point on it depending on the actual module. Not sure what I'll do for level 4 yet but for level 3 I am planning to study for 2 modules at the same time, if possible.
  • Jo Clark
    Hi Roma,

For me personally it all depends on the subject. For some subjects you may find that you only need 1-2 hours of study time, however for other subjects you may have to study a lot longer. If you're going to be doing 2 courses at the same time, try and pace yourself through your study and try not to get bogged down with exams.

This is good advice from Aaron. It may be worth you studying two modules that complement each other.
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Whirlwind
    Whirlwind Registered Posts: 249 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I followed the online schedule for how many weeks to spend on each unit. I spent (per week) 8-10hours on level 3 and 10-12hours on level 4, if I wasn't happy with the subject then as many hours til it felt right!! Then in the week before the exam I would sit every available quiz, greenlight and mock.

I found studying one subject at a time really worked as I could give that subject my undivided attention.

There are subjects with natural links like accounts prep(L3) and financial statements(L4), costs&revenue(L3) and budgeting or financial performance(L4), so it helpful studying them after each other.

Hope this helps!
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hi Roma

I have done both Level 2 and Level 3 through day release at college. I too work full time so find it hard to fit in study time. Most nights I was lucky if I managed an hour by the time I get home and eat, so ended up doing it mostly on a weekend. Like the others have said it will depend on the subject a lot some I found ok, others I struggled with.

In Level 3 I found I needed more time so ended up taking leave from work as the exams got closer and luckily it paid off.

Good luck in your studies and we are all here if you need some help.

Jan
  • NicF
    NicF Registered Posts: 108 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hi Jo,

I have started level 2 in March with BPP and will be completing this level in August. I work full time and have so far done a combination of online and classroom courses but so far prefer online courses as they much faster and I can go through them in my own time. I agree with your point on it depending on the actual module. Not sure what I'll do for level 4 yet but for level 3 I am planning to study for 2 modules at the same time, if possible.

I couldn't do two modules at once as I'd get confused. I love the new CBAs and being able to take an exam when you are ready - I'd never be able to remember everything for the old paper based exam sittings. I think this is an age thing though. I never had a problem doing more than one unit at once when doing my degree and MSc 100 years ago.
  • NicF
    NicF Registered Posts: 108 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I am wondering how many hours each of you study per subject? I aim to study for 2 courses at the same time and study for about 10 hours each and more coming up to exams. What about you and do you find it depends on the level you're studying at?

Level 2 I did at college so just a few extra hours a week. Level 3 and 4 I've studied distance learning. I work part time so I studied while the kids were at school on my two non working days and I also did a couple of hours a couple of evenings a week. On a good week I'd do about 14 or 15 hours, on a less good week I might get 8 hours done. I started level 3 last August and assuming I've passed my last two exams I've just got ICAS left to do.
  • Jo Clark
    Hi Jo,

Hello Roma

The final decision is yours however if you are set on studying two modules at a time I would study Accounts Preparation 1/2 together, Costs and Revenues on its own, and then you can decide how you wish to study the remaining 4 modules.

The SPSW module does not have a CBA which gives you instant results and therefore you may like to fit this is before the end of your Level 3 studies to allow the assessor time to mark it. Cash Management, Professional Ethics and Indirect Tax are all fairly short modules and can be studied in a fortnight each (I think).

Happy studying :)
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Roma129
    Thank you all. I am already studying for PEAF and will sit the exam by mid July. I am booking SPSW online as well and hope to sit the exam by end of August or beginning of September. I might then study API and Cash Management and the APII and Indirect Tax. If both CM and IT are short courses I will concentrate on them to get them out of the way and then have more time to study for AP1 and APII.
  • SamiH
    SamiH Registered Posts: 179 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    College sort of dictated for me the amount of study I did each week. If there was no homework, then it was just the 6 hours a week class time, but if there was homework, or independent research, then I would add another 4 hours or so on top of that. Sunday's are a great day for just hitting the books ;)

I agree with Jo about doing AP1 and AP2 together since one leads to the other.

I'm sure for Level 4, there will be alot more study time required from me.
  • baileyqueens
    baileyqueens Registered Posts: 27 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I was on level 3 last year and used to hit around 20 hours a week (inc college). It was not easy juggling 7 days a week at work, two evenings at college & studying but I got the results in the end. My week used to go as follows:

Monday: Work 9-5, college 6-9
    Tuesday: Work 9-5, college 6-9
    Wednesday: Work 9-5, study 6-10
    Thursday: Work 9-5, study 6-10
    Friday Work 9-5, Work 5:30 - 11:30
    Saturday: 4-5 hours study, Work 5:30 - 11:30
    Sunday: 4-5 hours study, Work 5:30 - 11:30

Same again from September, worth it in the end though.
  • zaf1987
    zaf1987 Registered Posts: 124 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Well I did 15 last week. But normally I do about 25-30 week.
    I do 15 hours during week and another 10-15 on weekend. I would do more with working full time and a gf lol.
  • tedwalker
    tedwalker Registered Posts: 10 Regular contributor โญ

I have a very short attention span. I cannot study for more than 45 minutes on any given day! so I try to study mostly everyday for at least 40-45 mins so that I do not forget everything I ever studied! Also,I try to revise the previous week's study every Sunday before hitting the bed.

To answer the second part of your question, I think, two courses can be done IF you are NOT working anywhere (full time, intern or apprentice). Studying for 10 hours or more will be really stressful and you might lose interest in what you are studying. So, try not to study for more than an hour and half (max) at stretch. Your brain needs rest too!

Have you signed up with a course provider or for a course yet?
  • Roma129
    Thank you all. I've not signed up for new courses yet, but I want to study with BPP and the classes are not available yet. I am completing level 2 next month with Basic Costing being my final exam for level 2. This month I still have BAII and PEAF to sit.

I have made a study plan and should be able to study for about 14 hours minimum each week so that means I have 7 hours per week for each module and can increase this when exams are coming closer or take some holiday at work to do more revsision.
Privacy Policy