In limbo

MarieNoelle
MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
Hi all,
Not sure if this thread belongs here...
I'm just wondering what happens when you have finished level 4 (I'm nearly there), but you haven't got enough experience to apply for AAT membership.

Is it worth renewing my annual fee? Do I need to do CPD? Can I ask my employer for a pay rise? Where do I post my queries on the forum :001_tongue:?

Any advice would be welcome!

Thanks
MN

Comments

• uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
    Is it worth renewing my annual fee?

Your current year student membership will be valid until the end of this year. You can retain your student membership for up to 2 years after finishing your exams to allow yourself enough time to build up work experience.

Do I need to do CPD?

I don't believe that it is monitored or recorded but CPD is an ongoing requirement of the profession so worth staying up to date for your own development

Can I ask my employer for a pay rise?
    Without wanting to sound flippant - have your responsibilities in work changed much since your last pay review ? I think this discussion should be based on your performance at work and not the date that you gain full membership off AAT.

Where do I post my queries on the forum ?
    I post in any and all forums.
  • MarieNoelle
    Thank you for your response uknitty
    uknitty wrote: Β»
    Your current year student membership will be valid until the end of this year. You can retain your student membership for up to 2 years after finishing your exams to allow yourself enough time to build up work experience.

I am happy to renew my student membership but apart from receiving the magazine, what else do I get from it? At the moment I am visiting the AAT website almost every day for study (and check my assessment results) but there will be little point after I have qualified?
    I don't believe that it is monitored or recorded but CPD is an ongoing requirement of the profession so worth staying up to date for your own development

I guess it is part of my job, but was just wondering if I needed to record it officially.
    Without wanting to sound flippant - have your responsibilities in work changed much since your last pay review ? I think this discussion should be based on your performance at work and not the date that you gain full membership off AAT.

The reason I asked is because my employer said they would review my salary when I am qualified, but I now wonder if they meant when I am a full member. I guess I'll just have to show them my statement of achievement and see if they will consider it then.
    Where do I post my queries on the forum ?
    I post in any and all forums.

So have I and will continue to do so!:001_smile:

MN
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I would recommend to keep the membership so you can build up the work experience.

Your CPD is not so much part of your work, but also your personal development, which allows you to grow in your role, as well as a chance to get ready for the next role or whatever you want to achieve!

I would also recommend to talk to your employer, as you finished studying and you can build up the work experience in order to get the MAAT.

http://www.aat.org.uk/membership/affiliate-membership

Here is the special section for your situation. Have a look and read.
  • MarieNoelle
    Thanks for the link Rinske.
    At least I know now there is a dedicated membership for people like me. Makes me feel very special!:001_tongue:
  • SarahJS
    SarahJS Registered Posts: 273 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    How do you apply for this membership? I'll have finished all exams (hopefully) before I have my experience in 9 months. My student membership runs out in October, confused?! :s
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
    You don't need to do anything. Your current student membership will run to the end of the year- you can call yourself an AAT affiliate though because you have finished your exams but not applied for membership. It is really more of a title to recognise those people who are neither students nor full members - there really are quite a few of us !

At the start of the next year if you have applied for full membership then you can pay your full fees then, or if you are still building up your work experience you pay the reduced student fees.

There is a section on the AAT website for affiliate members.

https://services.aat.org.uk/myaat/affiliatezone/

You need to be logged in to MyAAT for the link to work. I'm not sure if the link only works for people who have completed their exams and I have no way of checking on my account sorry !
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hi Uknitty

I have just checked and it does work for anyone it seems as I am just finishing level 3.

It is a really useful site as it helps with a CV and all sorts so thanks for pointing it out.

Jan
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    janwal wrote: Β»
    Hi Uknitty

I have just checked and it does work for anyone it seems as I am just finishing level 3.

It is a really useful site as it helps with a CV and all sorts so thanks for pointing it out.

Jan

Agreed, not quite finished level 4 as awaiting exam result but can access the affiliate zone :o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
Privacy Policy