Another fail !!!

kazcraw
kazcraw Registered Posts: 34 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Well, after a lot of hard work and effort, passing the online practice assessments, successfully completing the e-resources, and getting 80 & 90% on the greenlight section, I failed Indirect Tax today. Gutted!

I actually found the exam ok (or so I thought lol), and then when I got home - "Not Yet Competent".
There were 3 items I did not meet. I'm so cross with myself, can't believe I failed it especially as most of the answers could be found within the reference material.

Don't know what else to do really other than practice, practice, practice. Now going to talk to my employer regarding the cost of the re-sits (cash management too!) cos I just don't have the money to pay for both. Still got to PE but that's not until November!

Anyone got any great (miracle!) tips on getting through these two?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Comments

• zaf1987
    zaf1987 Registered Posts: 124 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hi sorry to hear ive got my indirect tax on the 11th. The way im approaching is to ignore the ref material and revise as and practice as if i wont be getting the ref material, im hoping this will serve me good, because i was afraid before doing this module that I would put as much effort in as I would just think the info is all going to be there. I'm still worried about the Vat return, going to go over that element.

Im not a massive fan of greenlight,

Im sure other people who have done it can give better advice,
  • MarkT
    MarkT Registered Posts: 302
    Hi Kaz,

Sorry to hear that this has happened. I cannot suggest anything else apart from the obvious practice, practice etc.. I would say that 80-90 on the greenlights should be a fair benchmark, so can only say that maybe you just got really unlucky.

For CMGT, I'd advise that you brush up a little on the prepayment and accruals processes from AP1 & 2 as they play a part in the exam - also I found that reading the question and then writing grids out etc to work my timings out on paper tended to help give a visual as opposed to just doing a calculation and potentially missing a number (especially on a timing exercise) - and to take the time in reading the question. Remember that you have an average 10 minutes per section of the exam and to push yourself to do it within that time and to give yourself at least 15 - 20 minutes time at the end to double check

Hope that this helps somewhat :001_smile:
  • Haysah
    Haysah Registered Posts: 80 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Well, after a lot of hard work and effort, passing the online practice assessments, successfully completing the e-resources, and getting 80 & 90% on the greenlight section, I failed Indirect Tax today. Gutted!

I actually found the exam ok (or so I thought lol), and then when I got home - "Not Yet Competent".
    There were 3 items I did not meet. I'm so cross with myself, can't believe I failed it especially as most of the answers could be found within the reference material.

Don't know what else to do really other than practice, practice, practice. Now going to talk to my employer regarding the cost of the re-sits (cash management too!) cos I just don't have the money to pay for both. Still got to PE but that's not until November!

Anyone got any great (miracle!) tips on getting through these two?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Hi Kazcraw,

I am sorry to hear of your fail I had a few resits like yourself did fine on Green Light passed the online practice exams, I simply looked at the weaker areas I had failed on and re visted them in revision also sometimes trying a variety of past papers can help you prepare better as you get a bigger variety of questions so you feel more prepared when sitting the exam. The Osborne online practice questions are also a great help. Don't give up, I kept going and today finished my level 3.

Good Luck!! Hay
  • kazcraw
    kazcraw Registered Posts: 34 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Thanks very much for your advice.

Haysah, Congratulations on finishing level 3. I didn't do any of the Osborne online practice questions so will give them a go too and fingers crossed!

MarkT - I agree with you I definetly need to brush up on CMGT as I was way off on this exam because I got stuck on the 3rd question regarding lagging, and spent far too much time on it, and then had to rush the rest of the assessment. I will take your advice about writing out the info to calculate the timings etc., I think that will really help me as I didn't do it in the exam, but did in all the practices.

zaf1987 - Like you I wasn't relying on the reference material to give me the answers, I used it to check that I was on the right track and to be honest if you know where to look in the first place, it helps, as you could be searching for quite a while to find the information you need, but you are right, you do need to have learnt it and not rely on the answers being there. The VAT return section was relatively easy, there was only one return to complete and a couple of calculations to do for certain boxes. I'm sure you'll be fine with yours, good luck.

Thanks again guys for your great advice.:thumbup1:
Privacy Policy