Level2 by december

kanchan786
kanchan786 Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
I am new member to forum.

Read lot of threads saying that people finished level2 in 3 or 6months etc.

I done a degree in commerce back in Asia which covers some accounting modules.

I would like to start level2 as soon as practically possible.

I got a baby who is 19 months old now and I am expecting my next baby in January.

So you can feel too much responsibility in terms of family.

What I would like from forum members is information about any institue which offers classes for level2 which will finish by december 2012. I applied to the liverpool community college but that starts in September and obviously will not finish by december. I been to the Kaplan and they are not offering by december and they are very expensive as well. Any information or guidance / help will be appreciated

Comments

• SashaDella
    SashaDella Registered Posts: 362
    Hello I am currently enrolled on my level 2 class and have a deadline of 3 months to complete it.
    So far so good!
    I'm not aware of any classes as they would have to be local to you, but the way most people (and myself) do it so quickly is through distance learning. You buy the "course" They send you the resources you need and get you'll be allocated a tutor whom you can contact via phone or email for help and guidance through the level. You work through the books, assessments and book your exams as and when. I study about 10 hours a week.

These range between £600-£700 for the course thats including books but excluding exam fees which are around £50 each or which there are 5.

Or cheaper alternative is that you can buy the books yourself (from amazon, ebay secondhand etc) and work through the books and book the exams yourself. The learning provider only gives you support!

Or if your quite confident you can skip level 2 and start on level 3.. Also fees for joining the AAT are £80 + admin fee

Hope this helps a little bit
  • kanchan786
    Thanks for detailed reply with so much information.

I actually wanted to know FAST TRACK by class base in liverpool if anyone knows.

You mentioned £50 per subject for exams, is it same even you go to government college e.g. liverpool community college. Kaplan mentioned £50 per subject for exams when I met them. But not sure if its less or same for college.
  • Joe Barraclough
    Joe Barraclough Registered Posts: 69 Epic contributor 🐘
    hi

if you have a degree i wouldnt reccomend doing level 2, level 2 is uselss if you intend on going to level 3 and have a degree, i would just start on level 3 especially if you have already had some accounting knowledge,

I did level 2 was pointless - started it in sept 2011 and passed my last exam on nov 2011

hope this helps
  • kanchan786
    Thanks for encouraging. What makes me nervous is couple of things:

1. Did degree from the year 2004 to 2006 so forgot most of things.
    2. Got very less computer knowledge so worried about missing computerized accounting module in level2 if skip level2 altogether so will not be able to study sage50.

Any thought / comments will be helpful

Thanks.
  • omega man
    omega man Registered Posts: 283
    Some colleges will do sage 50 as a standalone course,i would suggest you do that and start level 3.
    I also started level 2 in Sept and was pushed to level 3 as i found level 2 too easy.
  • MarkT
    MarkT Registered Posts: 302
    Hi Kanchan,

Welcome to the forums! As Joe said, start at level 3 - also, as Omega has pointed out, level 2 can be pretty easy and you might find yourself with the wrong impression of the course (considering you are educated to degree level)

If like a lot of us here you are thinking about going for ACCA or CIMA etc, then you really only need levels 3 & 4

Good luck with whichever you choose - you made a wise choice!!
  • Louise89
    Louise89 Registered Posts: 296 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    With regards to starting at Level 2 or 3 I would use this skill check as a basis to see how your knowledge compares;

http://www.aatskillcheck.org/home.aspx

Depending on the course you studied it is worth noting that some degrees miss the basics such as double entry and as a result you may struggle if you go straight into level 3, especially if English is not your first language. If possible I would browse through some of the material if you have any or can borrow any.

Good Luck
  • Yun
    Yun Registered Posts: 25 Epic contributor 🐘
    Louise89 wrote: »
    With regards to starting at Level 2 or 3 I would use this skill check as a basis to see how your knowledge compares;

Depending on the course you studied it is worth noting that some degrees miss the basics such as double entry and as a result you may struggle if you go straight into level 3, especially if English is not your first language. If possible I would browse through some of the material if you have any or can borrow any.

Good Luck

Agree. I have a degree but prefer to start with AAT Level 2, even though my accountant friends recommend me doing ACCA. :ohmy:
    Just like cooking, the more you know about the basics, the easier it is to handle more complex recipes.
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I do agree with the others, I had a Diploma in Book-keeping and Accounting and worked in Finance for 10yrs, I took the skills check and it recommended Level 2. I'm really glad I did, I am know nearing the end of level 3, but would not have managed without the level 2 background.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Jan
  • NicF
    NicF Registered Posts: 108 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Louise89 wrote: »

Good Luck

I also agree with this. I have a degree and an MSc but both are in none finance subjects. I've worked in finance for ten years but had not done double entry so started at level 2 purely for this reason. I found most of level 2 really easy but I couldn't have done level 3 without doing double entry at level 2 first. If you've done double entry book keeping before then skipping level 2 makes sense, if not then level two gives a good foundation in the subject. The skills chek is probably the best way to decide what level to start at.
  • tedwalker
    tedwalker Registered Posts: 10 Regular contributor ⭐
    kanchan786 wrote: »
    I am new member to forum.

Read lot of threads saying that people finished level2 in 3 or 6months etc.

I done a degree in commerce back in Asia which covers some accounting modules.

I would like to start level2 as soon as practically possible.

I got a baby who is 19 months old now and I am expecting my next baby in January.

So you can feel too much responsibility in terms of family.

What I would like from forum members is information about any institue which offers classes for level2 which will finish by december 2012. I applied to the liverpool community college but that starts in September and obviously will not finish by december. I been to the Kaplan and they are not offering by december and they are very expensive as well. Any information or guidance / help will be appreciated

Hi Kanchan,

If you have got basic accounting knowledge then enrol for level 3. I am studying from Home Learning College and have found it to be pretty decent. Since you are expecting, I think studying from HLC will be a good option. They are among the top distance education colleges here in UK. My dad advised me to enrol with HLC since some guys at his firm have studied there and they swear by it! Better call them up and check if they still have courses which can be finished by December. It will be worth checking out this course: homelearningcollege.com/Courses/Accounting/AAT-Level-3-And-Level-4/. Leave me a PM if this helped!
Privacy Policy