Reading and writing skills

Alex301286
Alex301286 Registered Posts: 6 New contributor 🐸
Since leaving school I have done very little reading and being spoilt with a spell checker I feel as though my basic reading and writing skills have seriously deteriorated.

I was just wondering whether anyone else had the same dilemma. I was speaking to my friend about it and he suggested reading a few books.

However the only books I really enjoy reading are sports personality autobiographies or football hooliganism and don't really feel they will would be a suitable start.

Do you think reading is the solution. Or should I be looking at other methods?

Also will reading help me to build a better vocabulary?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hello Alex

Have you contacted your local adult education centre to see if they have any courses available in literacy which may help? Another place you could enquire would be your local library.

The suggestion from your friend will also help. I found that with studying I didn't have the time to read any books other than study books.

Without wanting to be rude may I ask how long ago it was that you left school?

Another option would be to look in book shops or online book stores such as Amazon or Waterstones to see if there are any books which may help e.g. vocabularly builders etc. Again, as I am not sure your age range I'm not sure what else to suggest at the moment.

Hope the above gives you some ideas to consider.

JC :o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • BeccaLouJ9
    BeccaLouJ9 Registered Posts: 896 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hey Jo,

I'm guessing Alex's bday is 30/12/86. But I could be wrong.

How's the report going?

Alex, I think the adult learning centre closest to you is the best idea. They should have loads of courses that could help.

Good luck

B x
  • Jo Clark
    Hey Jo,

I'm guessing Alex's bday is 30/12/86. But I could be wrong.

How's the report going?

Alex, I think the adult learning centre closest to you is the best idea. They should have loads of courses that could help.

Good luck

B x

Hello Becca

The report is going..... just trying to motivate myself to finish off the section which is due in Tuesday week... plenty of time but want to get it done and dusted so I can move on.

Sat here watching the rain at the moment... it is torrential with big hail stones. I was going to wash the car but no need! How is it down in Sunny? Devon :001_tongue:
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Jo Clark
    Benjamin Franklin
  • BeccaLouJ9
    BeccaLouJ9 Registered Posts: 896 Epic contributor 🐘
    Jo Clark wrote: Β»
    Hello Becca

The report is going..... just trying to motivate myself to finish off the section which is due in Tuesday week... plenty of time but want to get it done and dusted so I can move on.

Sat here watching the rain at the moment... it is torrential with big hail stones. I was going to wash the car but no need! How is it down in Sunny? Devon :001_tongue:

Well the rain has just about stopped now.. we even had about 3 minutes of sunshine just now.. I should have taken a picture! Not quite hail stones here though! That's pretty impressive!!!

Good luck on your next section... finishing L4 is your motivation!! :) you can do it!
    B x
  • Jo Clark
    Thanks Becca

Housework has never been so appealing!!! :blushing:

Having a break and then back to work...the project that is...
    Benjamin Franklin
Privacy Policy