Advice!

Studying sucks
Studying sucks Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
Hi all,

I'm starting level three in September. I have a bit of time on my hands and I would like to get ahead of the game. What subjects in particular should I start to read up on? What subjects are easy and what subjects are difficult? I'm not sure whether it's wise of me buying the books for level 3 just in case they bringout a new edition etc.

Thanks,

Matt

Comments

• zaf1987
    zaf1987 Registered Posts: 124 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I presume your starting with college, i would suggest one of 3 things.

1-Get couple of the easier ones out the way, as you have enough time to do at least 2 exams, so automatically your ahead of the class.

2- start one of the more difficult ones, costs and revenue is generally considered one of the harder ones, (however im yet to do it so cannot verify that) even if you dont do the exam before september atleast your ahead.

3-do some general reading around the module your likely to start with in september.

Zaf
  • MarkT
    MarkT Registered Posts: 302
    I'd tend to agree with this, especially the going over things like the greenlight tests that can be found on the main AAT site.

Problems with exam practicing is that it can have a negative effect on your learning as some people tend to fool themselves into thinking that if they can pass the CBE that is online here, they have got it made. Sadly, CRS is exactly the exam that will chew you up and spit you out if you think this way, simply because it doesn't follow the same format in the exam room - quetions are asked in a way that you are having to re-think the process of how you look at the questions.

However, that aside, if you commit the formulas to your head and fully understand how they work and more importantly, why they work, you will find this subject one of the most interesting alongside the AP1 & AP2 modules.

Good luck with the course :001_smile:
  • Sulew17
    Sulew17 Registered Posts: 174 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi all,

I'm starting level three in September. I have a bit of time on my hands and I would like to get ahead of the game. What subjects in particular should I start to read up on? What subjects are easy and what subjects are difficult? I'm not sure whether it's wise of me buying the books for level 3 just in case they bringout a new edition etc.

Thanks,

Matt

Find out from your tutor which subjects you're starting with and then start to read up on them. The hardest were cash management and costs & revenues - only because there's a lot to learn/remember and the cba's are quite different to the practice ones. AP1 & 2 are also supposed to be harder but I really enjoyed studying both of these and, again, if you get the formulas right in your mind that would be a great help. VAT & Ethics are supposed to be the easiest but there's a lot to remember for both and Ethics threw up a few questions that we hadn't covered but, if you think in an 'ethical' way you should be able to answer these questions. I can't really comment on Spreadsheets because I've used Excel for years so I found it quite easy! However, I would say, once again, memorise the formulas as these are a big part of the exam. Good luck & enjoy.
  • James Patterson
    James Patterson Registered Posts: 281
    I personally found Cash management and Cost & revs quite easy - I think it may be due to them being maths based. Dependent on what your strengths are, i'd revise Accounts prep, as my weak point is double entry and things of that nature.

Cash management is probably a small exam which you can get out of the way, but definitely spreadsheets can be ticked off ASAP; if you have used excel at all you should breeze through it.

Hope this rambling helps.
Privacy Policy