Salary Indicator.

The Magician
The Magician Registered Posts: 96 Epic contributor 🐘
Hello,

Hope someone can help.

What would you say is an acceptable salary for someone who has GCSE's, A-levels, full Sage Certification exams in both Accounts and payroll, ICB & AAT fully qualified and a CIMA PQ?

I have about 4 years experience in administration and about 9 months experience in accounts.

Any comments greatly welcomed.

Thanks.

Comments

• slackda
    slackda Registered Posts: 460 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    What Area of the UK?

And when you say CIMA PQ how far are you?
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    and about 9 months experience in accounts.

This is where you might struggle. It's still worth working at relatively low wages to build experience, and employers know that..
  • The Magician
    I'm in the South West.

I have just started at the Operational Tier - not that far, I know. I have two exams in November.

I was quoted about Β£17,000 by a recruiter.

What would you guys say?

Thanks.
  • slackda
    I would say that's a health estimate :D, i would push closer to 20K personally.

I was on about 16K when half way through AAT but had 5 years experience , so adjusting for roughly 5% inflation puts that at about 20k in-today's money.
  • The Magician
    Thanks very much!

That's extremely useful.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    slackda wrote: Β»
    I would say that's a health estimate :D, i would push closer to 20K personally.

I was on about 16K when half way through AAT but had 5 years experience , so adjusting for roughly 5% inflation puts that at about 20k in-today's money.

That's arguable Slackda, I think you'd be paid more with 5 years experience, or at least fairly similar. Can't under estimate the value of QBE. I work with a few people on decent wages and no pro qualifications.
  • slackda
    I Completely Agree, But i think its then about how you sell yourself and 9month experience that you do have.

I still think that 17k is a good amount for that level, but would still aim slightly higher.
  • The Magician
    Many thanks for your replies.

If truth be told, I just didn't have the cojones to sit it out waiting for an accounts role and I took a job in administration much to the chagrin of my parents.

I was searching for 5 weeks for employment and I'm hoping over time I can be transferred to their accounts department.

I really need a role of some substance after all this studying.
  • SashaDella
    SashaDella Registered Posts: 362
    If you want an accounts career you should keep looking whilst your in employment. As in a role you have those qualifications you can push for promotion if you work really hard.

I've only just started level 2, I'm 19 and have 2 years work experience and 6 months in accounts. Can't stress how important my accounting experience I'm gaining is.
  • aaron0121
    aaron0121 Registered Posts: 422
    Honestly Sasha that experience you're receiving is amazing. I really should have started applying for some
    accounts apprentice jobs at 16 and now i'm beginning to realise how hard it is to actually gain some accounts
    experience.
    I've tried applying for some accounts apprentice jobs apparently i'm over qualified, so no luck there then.
    i've tried applying for some accounts assistant jobs..... no luck there either as i don't have no experience!!!!!
    At the moment i'm just going around in circles!!!!!
    AAT

Level 2 - 2010
    Level 3 - 2011
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA

F4 - 2015
    F5 - 2015
  • SashaDella
    I know how hard it is to find jobs, and even harder to find good jobs that you can enjoy!! Have you applied for graduate programmes / similar schemes? The large firms offer excellent schemes.

When I was looking for work, I first wrote a letter (a bloody good one) and looked up all the accounting firms in my area, (didn't send them out as got a job before I finished the mail merge) However it was a good idea and thats how I shall attempt to find a job in the future.

Even applying for work experience (free), part time if you need to support yourself with paid employment can be a good option!

Also look out for accounting vacancies in the NHS (they are good employers)
  • The Magician
    How did you get the jobs though, as two years ago was still in the midst of the credit crunch?

I mean no disrespect but, as good as the letter was there would still have been people more experienced and more qualified than you?

I think it is a lottery.

I do realise now that 99% of being successful in a job is just being able to talk.

I'm AAT, ICB and CIMA qualified through self-tuition with no retakes, so hopefully someone will take me seriously at some stage!

Thanks.
  • SashaDella
    Well perseverance helped. You have to have something that stands out, not just qualifications (which aren't always that important) but the way you come across in your application. Your motivation and enthusiasm.

Its not lottery because the people get PICKED. You just have to have something they like, and also make sure they read your application because I'm not sure they would read all 100, they would look at the format, skim over it and float over words they like.

I'm not an employer but make sure you appeal to the advert directly as they state all the things they want in them. You have to have something that will benefit the company as well as have an interest in the company.

I'm sure the right position will prop up for you, just be patient and stay enthused! I would take the job for whatever salary and try and work up or move on when something better comes along.
Privacy Policy