CMPA exam advice

zippi
zippi Registered Posts: 182 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
Was told I passed sage but failed question and answer part, therefore to do a resit in September. Some of the questions were not even from a CMPA book. Does anyone know where to look for answers relating to sage questions asked in this exam? Unfortunatley, no teacher for most of the year!!

Would I be able to take a resit before September? How do I go about doing it and would it affect my results on AAT website if the centre number connected to college?

Has anyone gone through this before?

Comments

• liveprincess
    liveprincess Registered Posts: 214 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I'm not studying in college but I'm sure there is nothing stopping you contacting an exam centre and booking exam with them directly. You'll have to pay the fee. All the distance learning training providers have their exam centres. Just contact your nearest one. What answers do you need regarding the theory part? Kaplan book covers this.
  • Multitasker
    Multitasker Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
    Im sitting this exam this wednesday and bit unnerved on what to expect, is it just one exam I need to sit, I was expecting multi choice answers then questions asking for an explanation and a scenario scene, setting a company up from scratch and producing reports etc. Im having exam stage fright and not feeling confident at all now these last few days. Im a distance learner with Kaplan and am putting my faith in the workbook its covered what I need to know
  • liveprincess
    liveprincess Registered Posts: 214 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hi I also study with Kaplan DL and sat this exam about 2 months ago. I found Kaplan's book very poor and that it did not cover a lot of things but then there were questions about them in the revision kit. It was very frustrating. I sent tens of questions to my tutor trying to find out what to do. Finally they have added an attachment on the en-gage where it is all explained now. Also the book covers the question and answers part so you should be fine with this. The assesment was similar to the practice one on the AAT website. As long as you are ok with this you will be fine. You download an assesment booklet and there is like a pdf file where you tick the anwers for the questions and you have to upload it back to get marked, and there is also a file with the scenario and tasks to do in Sage.
    Good luck in your exam.
  • SashaDella
    SashaDella Registered Posts: 362
    Are you talking about the sage certification? There are some practice questions on the sage website that someone has shown me today. I can give you the link if they would help?

Sasha
  • zippi
    Thank you all for the advice, this really helps, have been away on hols, so did not reply. Sasha would you be able to send me the link to these questions just incase of retake? Unfortunately failed due to the problem with reload. Hopefully college are doing something about it and fingers crossed, results may come positive.

We have on used AAT BPP books, it does not cover many answers and exams ask questions from all over.

Once again, many thanks!
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Are you talking about the sage certification? There are some practice questions on the sage website that someone has shown me today. I can give you the link if they would help?

Sasha

Just to make it clear - the CMPA exam is not sage certification - the exam is used to show you know how to use a computerised accounting programme, not just sage. A supplier can use any programme as long as it is capable of doing the tasks in the exam.

Most learning providers use Sage as it is one of the most common programmes used in the accounting world, but it is not the only one.

That said I'm sure questions on the Sage website will be of help, I just wanted to make sure you knew there was a distinction between this and the courses that Sage offer.

Zippi - the AAT BPP book has all the information you need to pass the exam, and more. The question and answer section is only short - around 20 questions or less from memory. From your first post it seems like this is the section you need to focus on.

What do you mean you failed due to problem with reload? did it not upload to the AAT website?
  • SashaDella
    for my CMPA exam I took the Sage exam as a Prior learning thing, you pass this 1 hour exam and then it gets counted as the CMPA passed.

This is just the way the Premier Training does it, not sure if this is what others are doing but here is the link

http://www.sagecertification.co.uk/q4/open.dll

they are specific to sage, and these test questions are exactly like the exam!
  • LPalmer
    LPalmer Registered Posts: 25 Epic contributor 🐘
    A quick tip for anyone taking the exam (as this is where I lost marks) is to make sure you print everything off you are asked to... Especially the Trial balance as this is a lot of marks! :D
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘

What do you mean you failed due to problem with reload? did it not upload to the AAT website?

It does sound as if there was a problem with uploading the booklet. If the booklet doesn't upload then section 2 won't have been completed so it's an automatic fail. However, if there's a problem uploading there are ways round it, the booklet can be e mailed to the training provider or the AAT who will upload it for them and then it can be marked.

If on the other hand the booklet was uploaded and insufficient marks were gained on section 2 then the assessor can use their discretion and apply compensation rules between the 2 sections so if you do really well on section 1 and not so well on section 2 then you can still pass. If you get all the answers wrong in section 2 though you still wouldn't be able to pass even if section 1 was completely correct.
  • JaffasGirl
    for my CMPA exam I took the Sage exam as a Prior learning thing, you pass this 1 hour exam and then it gets counted as the CMPA passed.

This is just the way the Premier Training does it, not sure if this is what others are doing but here is the link

http://www.sagecertification.co.uk/q4/open.dll

they are specific to sage, and these test questions are exactly like the exam!

I have to say I think that is a bit crap. And I don't mean that it's crap of you, but of learning providers. The CMPA exam is not only about Sage, but about how a computerised accounting package can help a business as a whole. And why does your one hour exam mean the same as my two and a half hour one? Also the AAT do not mention that this is an option, you have work based evidence (which needs signing off) or the CMPA exam. Did you take this sage exam in an exam centre? Cause if not I can't see why it should be allowed.
  • SashaDella
    No offense but if you haven't done the exam than you won't know.... it covers everything the CMPA exam does and more. Just because its on sage doesn't mean anything. Its about all computer accounting systems and I use one at work all the time and still found it hard.

I had 6 huge workbooks to go through and it covers everything even VAT returns and Journals and back rec etc. Its just an alternative way to do it and it i'm sure its not stated on the AAT because sage isn't a partner so they aren't exactly going to advertise it.

soo.. BOOHOO
  • JaffasGirl
    I wasn't having a go at you personally. I've got no doubt it was a comprehensive exam on sage, and went into far more detail than mine did. But did yours include an exam in a test centre?
  • zippi
    Hello Sashadella, the link you sent does not open as it aske for a name and a group number. The exam I took for CMPA had 2 parts, one was sage computerised accounting and another was a theory part of question and answers! It was 3hours and 15 mins exams. However exam instructions and just reload etc. took around 40 minutes therefore in exam room for roughly around 4 hrs and 45min. Was a very long and tiring exam.

Had problems saving therefore examiner helped, unfortunately it uploaded a blank paper which was loaded in the first place to do the exam.

I just want to be prepared if I had to resit!

Appreciated your help and if you could show me a way of getting into this link, it would be helpful, thanks.
  • SashaDella
    The link I gave was for the sage certification only.. it should open with just any name and without a group number. but I dont think it'll be any use for your CMPA exam.

Sasha
  • zippi
    Thank you Sashadella, it did open with a name. I will try and see if there is any theory in it that might just cover the topic, I am after.
Privacy Policy