Sage boffins required!!

ademoore
ademoore Registered Posts: 146 Dedicated contributor 🦉
I have a client (not in my geographic location!!) whose new bookkeeper has just moved them over to Sage 50 (version 2012 I believe). They have just sent me their latest backup along with PDFs of financial statements. Unfortunately, the FS's do not look right, and I do not have Sage to see the detail, as I am avid user of VT. If I reluctantly bought Sage Instant 2012, does any one know if the backup from Sage 50 2012 would be readable?
Thanks

Comments

• Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Why don't you ask them to export the nominal ledger to PDF so that you can see what's gone into those figures? They can export it for a period after/before the financial year as well, if you need it.

I never use the financial statements that Sage produces as it doesn't give enough detail!
  • ademoore
    ademoore Registered Posts: 146 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Right you are - thank you, have done it! :-)
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    You might also want:

1) B/f TB (to check that the opening balances are correct)

2) Aged debtors as at the year end (excluding later payments; this schedule should tie into Sage's FS)

3) Aged debtors as at the year end (including later payments; this will show you how many of the debtors have paid up since the year end)

4) Customer activity report for the accounting period

5) Customer activity report for the period 3 months after the year end

6) The above 4 reports for suppliers/creditors

7) VAT returns and detailed workings

Also all Sage pdf's can be exported as .csv files which can then be saved as excel documents.

At work I've had to request multiple reports (as pdf's and .csv's) from the client/bookkeeper and generally they're happy to help.
  • jamesm96
    jamesm96 Registered Posts: 523
    What the guys have said above would be exactly my sentiments on resolving the problem. Just to answer your question though, no, you won't be able to restore a Sage 50 backup into a copy of Sage Instant. It does, however, work the other way round; particularly if you're using an accountants version so you can use the Accountant Link feature.
  • jamesm96
    jamesm96 Registered Posts: 523
    reader wrote: »
    Also all Sage pdf's can be exported as .csv files which can then be saved as excel documents.

I'm a big fan of doing this. We use Sage quite a lot for our clients and, even though I have the option to print whichever NL reports I want, I tend to export the NL report for the whole year to CSV (and then save as XLSX) because it's quicker to just auto-filter the report and chose the Sage A/C number I want and get the report that way, than it is to select each report individually in Sage.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    reader wrote: »
    You might also want:

1) B/f TB (to check that the opening balances are correct)

2) Aged debtors as at the year end (excluding later payments; this schedule should tie into Sage's FS)

3) Aged debtors as at the year end (including later payments; this will show you how many of the debtors have paid up since the year end)

4) Customer activity report for the accounting period

5) Customer activity report for the period 3 months after the year end

6) The above 4 reports for suppliers/creditors

7) VAT returns and detailed workings

At work I've had to request multiple reports (as pdf's and .csv's) from the client/bookkeeper and generally they're happy to help.

This.

Never work from P&L / BS produced by Sage.

TB and NOMACT report are a base essential!

In csv and pdf please...
Privacy Policy