Favourite Government Official?

Hi Everyone,

Just to entertain me while at work, i want to know who your favourite/ most disliked government official is and Why?

Really no Criteria for this.

Boris Johnson for me! - Favourite that is of course.

Comments

• James Patterson
    James Patterson Registered Posts: 281
    Love views going up and 0 engagement in the subject haha
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I too like Boris Johnson and believe the buffoon act is just for public show. Behind the scenes, I magine him to be a fiercely intelligent person. I also like David Cameron and reckon he's the best PM in years though it's doubtful whether he'll be re-elected due to so many ignorant people blaming the current government's woes rather than the previous government's recklessness. I believe Cameron does sincerely care but knows he can't please everyone.

Hates:

Nick Clegg: a total fence-sitter and limp as Hell. How he ever became an MP, God only knows.

Vince Cable: even worse than Clegg, a total waste of space as an MP. Quick to criticise others while offering no solutions of his own.

Ed Miliband: he's pathetic quite frankly. Conveniently ignores everything his own party did when last in government and just opposes everything Cameron says because he feels he has to rather than whether it's in the wider interest or not. However on the plus side, with him as Shadow PM, he does offer one good reason why Cameron might stay in at the next election.
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    blobbyh wrote: Β»
    I too like Boris Johnson and believe the buffoon act is just for public show. Behind the scenes, I magine him to be a fiercely intelligent person. I also like David Cameron and reckon he's the best PM in years though it's doubtful whether he'll be re-elected due to so many ignorant people blaming the current government's woes rather than the previous government's recklessness. I believe Cameron does sincerely care but knows he can't please everyone.

Hates:

Nick Clegg: a total fence-sitter and limp as Hell. How he ever became an MP, God only knows.

Vince Cable: even worse than Clegg, a total waste of space as an MP. Quick to criticise others while offering no solutions of his own.

Ed Miliband: he's pathetic quite frankly. Conveniently ignores everything his own party did when last in government and just opposes everything Cameron says because he feels he has to rather than whether it's in the wider interest or not. However on the plus side, with him as Shadow PM, he does offer one good reason why Cameron might stay in at the next election.

I think Cameron is also getting the blame for all the wishy washy LibDem policies that they've had to bring in. Basically he hasn't been able to do what was required to turn things around because he's been hampered by idiots like Vince Cable, what the hell does he know about business?
  • coojee
    I'm also quite liking William Hague at the moment.
  • James Patterson
    I do agree with most of them; in total honesty i do find it hard to look at politicians in a positive light, but i think DC is a good prime minister but is simply weighed down...and why Nick Clegg is even involved in anything is a joke.

I do enjoy how he is slaughtered on most panel shows for being totally irrelevant.
  • coojee
    I think the election broadcasts have got a lot to answer for. People saw NC on them and thought, he's a nice man I'll vote for him which meant that DC's votes got watered down so we ended up with a coalition instead of a majority. Anyone who votes for a party because they think the leader is a nice man shouldn't be allowed to vote in my opinion.
  • James Patterson
    coojee - Although i do agree with you, the majority of the public aren't exactly qualified to vote and that includes myself. Politics has to be one of those topics which people pretend to know about but are actually clueless, and unfortunately equality is the reason the best choice isn't always elected.
  • coojee
    coojee - Although i do agree with you, the majority of the public aren't exactly qualified to vote and that includes myself. Politics has to be one of those topics which people pretend to know about but are actually clueless, and unfortunately equality is the reason the best choice isn't always elected.

Very true, although I'm one of those big headed enough to think that I am qualified to vote. I saw a quote somewhere recently that said "Don't you think if I were wrong I would know it" that definately applies to me :001_smile:
  • James Patterson
    haha thats fair enough, I think i'm a bit young to claim i know enough about politics to vote logically; although i do enjoy question time!

I reckon when it comes to it, i'll apply some logic.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Yes I get you Sasha.

There are those that vote for whichever party - usually Labour - promises everything - better tax credits, disability allowances, public sevice etc - and then delivers nothing. The Tories don't always get it right but generally I think they're more upfront with the truth than their counterparts who will often downright lie. Tories have to try hard to win votes, Labour barely have to try at all - they just wait for the Tories get it so badly wrong.

Labour voters will always vote Labour no matter how much of a mess they make of their time in power. Where I come from - Mansfield - they used to say you could put a monkey up for election and Labour supporters would still vote it in. Whereas I honestly think Tory voters are more intelligent with their votes. If a Tory government makes a mess, Tory voters will abstain at the next election rather than vote for anyone else.

I also dislike voters who inherit their politics from their parents or college lecturers and don't think for themselves. Amazing how we have a whole generation of twenty-somethings who harp on about how bad Thatcher was even though it's outside of their own personal experiences. I read about the treatment of the peasants prior to the French Revolution but it doesn't mean I can bang on about it like I was there...!
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Rozzi Rainbow Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    When I saw the title of this thread, I too thought Boris Johnson. I have no idea what his political views are and whether he's a good Mayor or not (I have very little knowledge of politics!) but he comes across as very amicable and seems to connect well with the public. I saw him on TV the other night, and definitely couldn't say he is boring, like some MPs come across.

I think you've summed it up very well there! I never used to vote because I didn't feel I understood politics well enough to make an informed choice, and had zero interest in it therefore didn't want to research things at all so I could make an informed choice. At the last election I feel they made more of an effort to engage with the general public, what with the TV debates and such like, so I felt this time round I should make more of an effort to make an informed choice. I researched all the manifestos and made my choice based on those, however since then it's become obvious that to an extent the parties only include what they want you to think in the manifestos and go and do a whole load of other things once they get in power!

Once I saw the election results though I realised there had been little point to me voting because we are very dominated by one party here and think we always will be even if that party does make a mess of things.
  • James Patterson
    'Why thankya sweetness, i sure do appreciate it' - Reginall D Hunter

I'm sure there are people who obviously take a strong interest and have a basis for opinion, i am not one of those people, i just like intellectual discussion even though i can't contribute much other than my personal views.

But come the point where i will have to vote, i will ensure i have some sort of logic behind my decision.
  • HLapper
    HLapper Registered Posts: 5 Regular contributor ⭐
    Boris; He’s laid back, has a laugh but does the job, also brings valid points to the table such as -no if you want to stop congestion in London don’t put a charge, make public transport free'.

George Galloway; speaks truths.

Dis-like most of the other political figures, think our politics in the UK has gone downhill for a lot of reasons but one that really annoys me is that none of our MP’s seem to be motivating anymore and their speeches are ….Rubbish compared to previous MP’s.
  • mrb82
    mrb82 Registered Posts: 147 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Purely based on personality (because I do not have all the facts to make informed opinions on policy etc): Boris as he's an oaf but there's something about him, Ed Milliband as I only see/hear Ray Ramano when he's being interviewed
Privacy Policy