Signing References

snobbs
snobbs Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
I've just received full AAT Membership status :001_smile:

I am working for an accountancy practice and now that I am qualified my employers will require me to sign references and accounts for our clients. I just wanted to check that I am allowed to do this, or must I personally be registered as a Member in Practice, or work for a firm with a practice certificate registered with the AAT in order for me to use my MAAT status in this way?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Comments

• reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    snobbs wrote: Β»
    I've just received full AAT Membership status :001_smile:

I am working for an accountancy practice and now that I am qualified my employers will require me to sign references and accounts for our clients. I just wanted to check that I am allowed to do this, or must I personally be registered as a Member in Practice, or work for a firm with a practice certificate registered with the AAT in order for me to use my MAAT status in this way?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Firstly, big congratulations, I'm sure you're relieved that ICAS and FP are all over and done with!

As far as I'm aware when you sign the accounts you won't sign the accounts as "snobbs" you'll sign the accounts as ""ABC Limited". Consequently I don't think there's anything preventing you from signing accounts and I don't think you would have to be a MiP or work for an AAT firm. Also, if you weren't MAAT qualified, I think your firm could still grant you permission to sign accounts as "ABC Limited".

Feel free to check everything I've mentioned by calling AAT but I personally don't see a problem.

What are you planning on doing next?
  • snobbs
    snobbs Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Thanks Reader, very helpful.

Do you know where I stand with signing references? These would typically be references for individual clients in relation to their mortgage applications and tenancy references, also the occasional Visa reference and these would be signed in my own name with my qualification stated.

The reason I ask is because we have an ACCA qualified accountant who states they cannot sign these on account of the business not having an ACCA practice certificate which means he is not protected by the ACCA when signing these. I therefore wondered if the same applied for AAT?

Very pleased to have ICAS out of the way - although I must admit, once I had made a start it really wasn't all that bad! Considering ATT next
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    snobbs wrote: Β»
    Thanks Reader, very helpful.

Do you know where I stand with signing references? These would typically be references for individual clients in relation to their mortgage applications and tenancy references, also the occasional Visa reference and these would be signed in my own name with my qualification stated.

The reason I ask is because we have an ACCA qualified accountant who states they cannot sign these on account of the business not having an ACCA practice certificate which means he is not protected by the ACCA when signing these. I therefore wondered if the same applied for AAT?

Very pleased to have ICAS out of the way - although I must admit, once I had made a start it really wasn't all that bad! Considering ATT next

Apologises re: my previous post, I read the word "signing" and assumed you meant accounts (as opposed to "reference" which you clearly stated).

It's a very interesting question because you have to start considering who would be sued if the faeces hits the fan.

Given that you would be signing in your name there's obviously a lot of onus on you so it's probably worth giving AAT an e-mail (I say e-mail rather than call because at least then you would have AAT's response in writing); let me know what you find out.

I'm doing ATT and this course is very good and links well to my tax work in practice.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I had this very situation which I checked with AAT and ACCA. Whilst I was MAAT only I could sign mortgage references as long as I put 'on behalf of ABC Ltd' on it to ensure I was covered by the company PI insurance.

However as soon as I became ACCA then they wouldn't let me do it, even if I never mentioned ACCA. To do that you need to have a practicing certificate. You are only allowed to sign things that are non financial.

So I could sign them before but I no longer can!!!

I checked both of these things with AAT and ACCA so hopefully that's the answer you need! If you are not doing ACCA then AAT are happy for you to sign
  • Pete12
    Pete12 Registered Posts: 58 Epic contributor 🐘
    Is there an issue?

BW,

I wonder if this is really an issue. Presumably you are able to "sign" pretty much anything using just your firm's name but (as you are an ACCA without a PC) not using your own name (with or without using your ACCA designation)? This sort of situation is not unusual where, as an employee, you are signing something that is in the course of your employer's business.

Where you are asked to sign something in your own right (certifying ID etc) then perhaps this is still not an issue as it is not directly connected with a client's financial situation.

Is this in accordance with your understanding?

Pete12
Privacy Policy