About to begin Level 3

billdoor
billdoor Registered Posts: 129 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
Hi all

I have now sat all the exams on Level 2 (awaiting results for WEAF and CMPA) and am going to start Level 3.

I am doing SPSW first as I particularly want to improve my Excel skills.

After that, can anyone advise the best order to complete the modules in?

Also, I did Level 2 with BPP distance learning but in hindsight, I didn't really need anything more than the books. Is it advisable to attempt Level 3 with just the books or is it much harder?

Finally, if I did use the books only which provider do people recommend? I've been using the BPP books and found them generally good, but I have had some difficulties with the practice parts i.e. a few incorrect answers provided and information missing from a question, so wondered if there was any particular provider with a great reputation for their books?

Thanks for your time

Comments

• steveadams48
    steveadams48 Registered Posts: 13 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi

I am a mature student trying to complete levels 2 to 4 in 12-15 months after being made redundant earlier this summer.

So far I have also used BPP books with online support for level 2 and came to the conclusion that I only needed the books.

I have since taken C&R, APi, APii and CM during June and July using BPP books only. It has worked well so far without any resits being required, although I have used the forum occasionally and found that the responses have been 100% helpful.

CM was the hardest so far and the forum helped on a couple of questions.

I will be studying Indirect tax and Professional Ethics by the same method when I start studying again in September.

The forum advice to repeatedly practice the AAT practice assesments alongside using the BPP text and (occasionally) the questions book has worked for me.

Osborne also has a good e learning section, accesible to all. The Osborne online questions in my opinion feel easier that the assesment questions but if you can answer most of them straight away its a good indicator that you have grasped the concepts of the syllabus. It also helped me to feel confident about the subject.

My Excel skills are limited so I will probably use tutorial support for this one exam on level 3.

I hope this helps and good luck with level 3.

Steve
  • billdoor
    Hi Steve

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

It's good to hear that you've been working through Level 3 using the books only, I think I will give this a try. For all modules on Level 2 I have used the same method - use the workbook, completing the questions at the end of each chapter, then work through the question bank, then the practice assessment/s in the book.

Then I do as many practice assessments as I can find online.

I will try doing Level 3 using books only - do you (or anyone else reading) have any thoughts on the best order to complete the modules?

Thanks again

Chris
  • liveprincess
    liveprincess Registered Posts: 214 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I would start with AP1 and AP2. also be careful with indirect tax as some books or study materials will only be valid until the end of this year or so I heard. I'm doing level 3 distance learning now and although I paid for the course as well I haven't actually used a tutor's help yet so I think it's possible to do it just from reading the books. But I'm not even half way through it yet.
    The only thing I have used is the mock exams on the training provider's website which are only available if you paid for the course.
    Good luck with your studies
  • billdoor
    I would start with AP1 and AP2. also be careful with indirect tax as some books or study materials will only be valid until the end of this year or so I heard. I'm doing level 3 distance learning now and although I paid for the course as well I haven't actually used a tutor's help yet so I think it's possible to do it just from reading the books. But I'm not even half way through it yet.
    The only thing I have used is the mock exams on the training provider's website which are only available if you paid for the course.
    Good luck with your studies

Thanks very much, I have some idea of where to start next now:001_smile:

Do you know why the Indirect Tax book may only be valid until the end of this year? I know that BPP have new books available now for assessments from 1st September, do you mean there may be, for example, legislation changes at the end of the year that will make that book outdated?

Good luck with yours too:001_smile:
  • liveprincess
    Hi yes I think it's something to do with the legislations, the exam will be the same. But I don't know about BPP books, I use Kaplan's.
    Thanks, let us know how you're doing. I have AP2 next week.. eeek
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    billdoor wrote: Β»
    Thanks very much, I have some idea of where to start next now:001_smile:

Do you know why the Indirect Tax book may only be valid until the end of this year? I know that BPP have new books available now for assessments from 1st September, do you mean there may be, for example, legislation changes at the end of the year that will make that book outdated?

Good luck with yours too:001_smile:

Hi

It may be because the Indirect Tax was not changed this year and we used last years so maybe this is the update.

Jan
  • billdoor
    Thanks for your replies, I'll see if I can get Indirect Tax in before the end of the year then.

I did the SPSW exam yesterday and am pretty sure it went fine so now I'm just waiting for my AP1 books to arrive, going to try this with just the books rather than the online classroom.

liveprincess - hope your AP2 exam went well.:001_smile:
  • liveprincess
    Yes thanks I had exceeded in everything:ohmy:
    I'm working through my Indirect tax book now, it's taking ages tbh, just puts me to sleep this:thumbdown:
    Good luck with your AP1 studies, let us know if you need any help.
Privacy Policy