Spreadsheets Exam - Excel Course

Hello

I came accross this on the AAT website

https://services.aat.org.uk/myaat/content/item138979/

Wondered if anyone has used this? And will it help me for Spreadsheets exam. I haven't got my books yet and wanted something to start on while I wait.

I hear the exam is pretty straight forward if you use excel already.

Any tips as well?

Thanks!

Comments

• amyjayne27
    amyjayne27 Registered Posts: 314 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I haven't come across this but it looks like a useful revision tool Sasha. Combine this, revision information from the AAT site and your workbook and you should be fine.

I use excel everyday so most of it was okay, it just the more advanced formulas e.g 'if' statements and pivot tables I found a bit difficult as I dont use them on a daily basis. Layout is also important; my exam was very similar to the practice one on here so I suggest you go through that one a couple of times just to understand what layout they are looking for.

Good luck!
  • johnnyboy987
    johnnyboy987 Registered Posts: 36 Epic contributor 🐘
    Looks good! I think I'll use this to give me a start on SPSW when I begin it! Thanks :)
  • billdoor
    billdoor Registered Posts: 129 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    As amyjayne said, do the practise exam on here, I used the BPP book and their practice assessments were very similar to the actual assessment too. I did the SPSW exam on Tuesday and I think familiarising yourself with the layouts is important.

I haven't used the site that you've linked to but most of it sounds relevant so could be a good place to practice whilst waiting for your books; I didn't see any use of macros when I studied and some of the functions weren't used in the exam.

I'd focus on all the little things even if you use Excel regularly, in case there's a better way of carrying out a task than you do already. Make sure you can use conditional formatting, Min, Max, Average, charts and graphs and the IF function. Also the VLOOKUP function was covered in my book.

So no harm in starting with that site whilst you're waiting, good luck.:001_smile:
  • SashaDella
    SashaDella Registered Posts: 362
    How long did you study for the spreadsheets exam?

I have 3 months do study for 3-4 exams yet all the exams are at the same time in Dec!
  • billdoor
    Sounds tough! For SPSW I spent a couple of weeks just reading through the book slowly with Excel open, practising all the different things, even the little things, and I also made a few spreadsheets myself to test the skills in other settings, though tbh that was mainly just because I had the time and was quite enjoying it, didn't really need to.

Then I had to stop for two weeks and just spent the whole day before the exam going over it again and doing a couple of practise assessments.

I'd say that if you already use Excel, just quickly go through the basics that you do often, to be sure you're doing them in the most efficient way, then focus on anything you're not that familiar with i.e. IF functions or pivot tables. If you can nail the things you're not familiar with you should be fine as it is pretty straightforward.
  • SashaDella
    Thank you! I'm sure between now and Dec I'll be able to fit in some excel practice even just at work :)

Also with tutor help from Sept I am feeling a lot more confident.
  • billdoor
    Oh that's good, if you can use it at work then I'd suggest you could probably do this one by reading the book and then practising regularly to keep the skills fresh, assuming you're already familiar with the basics.

Then you can concentrate on the other modules where you're more likely to need to focus and learn more.

One other thing, I find Excel Help a bit rubbish but there's a site which has loads of excel help, including a search box and a message board - www.mrexcel.com - it's not the greatest looking site but pretty useful if you need it.:001_smile:
  • SashaDella
    Yeah I shall try and master the basics and then move on to the things I don't know, there is a ridiculous amount of things you can do on excel... I would really love to go on a proper full course about it (maybe after level 3)

Thanks for that link, i have bookmarked it!
  • SashaDella
    Im right in guessing the spreadsheet exam is taken in an exam centre and using learnplus and uses excel?

what version does it use?
  • amyjayne27
    amyjayne27 Registered Posts: 314 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Sasha you need to phone your chosen exam centre to clarify what version they use.

I actually took my exam at work, if it is an approved place ie. the work place you can take it there. Saved me Β£20 in petrol as my nearest centre is an hour and a half away!
  • billdoor
    I don't know about any other providers but the BPP book is in two parts; the first for Excel 2007 and the second for Excel 2003. Same information but adapted for the different versions.

They also had both versions available at the test centre for the assessment but this may be different depending on the provider so best to check in advance.
  • SashaDella
    I guess I shall only find out when I start in Sept, this is rather annoying actually!!

But ah well thanks!
  • zippi
    zippi Registered Posts: 182 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Hello Sashadella,

I went to see a tutor from the other college and he suggested that we start using Spreadsheet software tutorial from Osborne books. The book costs around Β£11.05 plus Β£2 for postage. A colleague and I have started working on it. I find it quite useful. I have posted a link here.

http://www.osbornebooks.co.uk/spreadsheet_software_a_practical_guide

Hope this helps!
  • zippi
    zippi Registered Posts: 182 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Hello,

Just wanted to let you know that I met a tutor from different college as I was planning to change the college. He suggested that Osbourne book of Spreadsheet software tutorial is the best way to begin. The book costs around Β£11.05 plus Β£2 postage and you can practice from this.

Here is the web address to buy the book. http://www.osbornebooks.co.uk/spreadsheet_software_a_practical_guide

I hope this helps!
  • SashaDella
    I got this book the other day.. and tried to look through it but I have been finding the online a lot easier to read! However I shall be going through the book afterwards as well (when i start my classes)

I let spreadsheets book sit there and have dug into professional ethics instead haha
  • lilypop
    lilypop Registered Posts: 10 Regular contributor ⭐
    Just want to say this tool (Excel with business) has helped me a lot.
    I am fairly advanced with Excel because I use it daily at work but this has still taught me things I didn't know.

It is well worth spending the time going through each unit and practising.
    Just waiting for my results now.
Privacy Policy