• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    What did you decide Flakie?
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Flakie
    Flakie Registered Posts: 24 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Hi Jo

I'm am very unsure what to do. I actually initially typed a whole load of blurb but changed my mind and didn't seem to be able to delete my post; so I just deleted what I had written with four 'x's which is why it looks a little strange.

As to whether to go ahead with full membership??? I am fortunate that I have over 4 and a half years accounting experience and work as a Bookkeeper in a job I love and am unlikely to leave. The reason I went through the AAT course was to benefit me personally to help me understand the job I perform and not a requirement by the Company. So the whole course was self funded.

I called the AAT twice yesterday looking for reasons and inspiration re full membership and they were disappointing in their response. I asked questions about just how detailed the job description needs to be because I would need to write one as currently there isn't one. They couldn't give me a real answer that helped

Also, in order to obtain full membership I now have to ask my boss to confirm that I have all this experience which means means I am unable to obtain this qualification without them even though they have (my choice) had nothing to do with it to date.

Also, what about some of my classmates. Some have no accounts experience and so cannot apply yet anyhow.

I have researched quite a bit about other peoples views and it seems mixed. Some say all you get is a magazine, while others ask why you would study so hard and not bother with the full qualification.

I am so confused and my current membership runs out I less than 10 days :crying:

Thank you for asking though Jo x
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I think it's worth it. It's not liek a GCSE or an A Level - it's a professional qualification so membership fees are part and parcel of it. In my mind the qualification on its own is only half of it. Part of me wonders why people go through it all, only to not bother becoming a member.

Is there a problem with getting your boss to sign off on your experience? That's a normal part of gaining membership.

Membership shows a level of professionalism and experience over and above just passing exams.

On the flip side, if you have a job you're not going to leave, and they don't need you to have the letters after your name, then why spend your money on an ego boost if you don't feel the need to?

Ultimately it's up to you - only you know whether you a) need it b) want it c) think it's good value for money.
  • totleyblade
    totleyblade Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor โญ
    Hi Flakie, I'd agree with Monsoon that it's up to you and your personal circumstances at the end of the day, but even though you're comfortable in you job at the moment, what if circumstances changed? It could be much more difficult to join at a later date.

I'm a little disappointed that the AAT were unable to inspire you to join. I personally think that membership offers much more than just a magazine. Whilst I feel on top of my job at the moment, things are changing all the time and I find the discipline and structure of CPD and the local AAT branch events very helpful indeed. The free Excel training course for members available through the website is another example of practical benefits from membership which I find useful. (Also, the fee is a little bit easier to swallow now it can be spread out).

As for the description of experience for membership, I basically updated my CV and used a similar albeit slightly expanded format to that.

You can probably tell that I'm in the 'why you would study so hard and not bother with the full qualification' camp but why not at least give it a try and get involved?
  • Flakie
    Thank you to everyone who has responded so far and I feel the need to agree with everything that has been said.

I am absolutely over the moon with what I and others have achieved; it's fantastic. With regards my boss signing off my work experience, well it was more a matter of principle really; I have go this far alone and as there is no job description in place, it would mean putting one together (which is a good idea anyway) but then getting it signed off when I 'am' the accounts dept and he wouldn't really know what he is signing off and why should his signature stand between me and full membership.

On another note; I had a call from a lovely lady who works at the AAT after she read my post and she was able shed light on any questions I had but more importantly than that she informed me of a way in putting forward my work experience without involving the Company; which was all I wanted to know yesterday.

So the AAT do read our posts and they do care and listen - so - full membership here I come - decision made :001_smile: thanks everyone x
  • liveprincess
    liveprincess Registered Posts: 214 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    would you mind telling us what do you have to do to prove your experience without involving your boss? Would really appreciate it
    Thanks
  • NicF
    NicF Registered Posts: 108 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hi Flakie, you've obviously decided to go with full membership (good for you) so you don't need any more persuading but I thought I would add a couple of things in case anyone else is unsure. A friend of mine passed her AAT years ago but kept her full membership going even once she stopped paid work to be a stay at home mum. She felt it was important to keep up to date with the accounting world so that she would find it easier should she decide to re enter the workforce.

I haven't quite finished my AAT myself (still have ICAS to complete), but I'm living in Australia now and I have been advised to gain full membership from the UK amd maintain this by the equivalent organisation over here.
  • Flakie
    Hi. Yes what Victoria from the AAT said I could do is use our appointed Accountants. I could do this because they audit my work regularly and have known me for more than 6 months. Also as professional bodies themselves and my Company's Accountants, they are familiar with the role I perform and are in a position to confirm what my job role involves etc... Hope this helps x
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Flakie wrote: ยป

On another note; I had a call from a lovely lady who works at the AAT after she read my post and she was able shed light on any questions I had but more importantly than that she informed me of a way in putting forward my work experience without involving the Company; which was all I wanted to know yesterday.

So the AAT do read our posts and they do care and listen - so - full membership here I come - decision made :001_smile: thanks everyone x

Great to read Flakie, glad I asked!
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Tracyevans14
    Tracyevans14 Registered Posts: 35 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I too have decided to apply for full membership (having read your post). I just have to wait for my college to confirm competent on my icas and credit management projects before I can do so ( even though both were submitted at the end of may).
  • Flakie
    Hi Traceyevans14

That's excellent and so glad it helped. Congrats for passing also xxx

I also learnt that I couldn't have graduated without obtaining full MAAT status either; so that was another reason for joining :001_smile:

xxxx
  • StuartW
    StuartW Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    To anyone else reading this considering full membership - you might be interested to know that we're hosting a couple of free webinars on this topic next week.

Everything you want to know about MAAT - Tuesday 4 September 2012

Do you have questions about becoming a member? Not sure whether MAAT is for you, don't know what the next step is, or confused about what counts as work experience? Sign up to one of our webinar sessions below and get the answers you need.

The webinar will cover:

1. Benefits โ€“ why apply for MAAT

2. How to apply for MAAT

3. What counts as work experience

4. After MAAT
Privacy Policy