Self study or college?

bubs
bubs Registered Posts: 41 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi Guys

I've been self studying for the past 2 years (or more) and have so far successfully passed all exams (first time) at levels 2 and 3 on my own.

However, I have just started level 4 (recently sat FNST but not feeling confident) and now I'm considering whether to go to college for level 4. Of course the plus side of studying on my own is that I can study at my own pace. I am very disciplined around my study time but I wonder if going to college might speed things up a little. I recently spoke to a tutor at BPP who suggested that they direct their students in an exam focus way whereas I am probably over-reading the subject which slows things up a little. I have a choice to study with kaplan 2 eves per week over three weeks (for budgeting) or with BPP once a week over six weeks or to just go it alone again. On the one hand six weeks (or even 3) seems a really fast pace for me but on the other hand it might make me more focused.

Any thoughts? My next module is Budgeting so should I go it alone again or go to college.

Bubs

Comments

• coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    bubs wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I've been self studying for the past 2 years (or more) and have so far successfully passed all exams (first time) at levels 2 and 3 on my own.

However, I have just started level 4 (recently sat FNST but not feeling confident) and now I'm considering whether to go to college for level 4. Of course the plus side of studying on my own is that I can study at my own pace. I am very disciplined around my study time but I wonder if going to college might speed things up a little. I recently spoke to a tutor at BPP who suggested that they direct their students in an exam focus way whereas I am probably over-reading the subject which slows things up a little. I have a choice to study with kaplan 2 eves per week over three weeks (for budgeting) or with BPP once a week over six weeks or to just go it alone again. On the one hand six weeks (or even 3) seems a really fast pace for me but on the other hand it might make me more focused.

Any thoughts? My next module is Budgeting so should I go it alone again or go to college.

Bubs

Why not try distance learning, best of both worlds, you get to study at your own pace as you have been doing with the added benefit of tutor support if you need it and feedback when preparing for your exams.
  • bubs
    Thanks Coojee. Forgot to mention that I originally used distance learning but could never get hold of the tutor when I needed it and so I felt it was a waste of money as I ended up doing it myself. When I did send off my mock exam etc., they were really late in sending back their feedback.

Did you self study?
  • garfield
    garfield Registered Posts: 10 New contributor 🐸
    Hi

The other alternative you could consider is online classroom, I know BPP do this and would imagine Kaplan do also. It gives you lectures and a lecturer you can contact (on BPP's you are also put in a study group with other people, with your own mini forum so you can ask each other and/or the tutor).

Also, you don't have to take the exam at the end (it's only a few weeks like the actual classes), and the material is available for a while afterwards to keep logging into.
  • bubs
    1) Did anyone self study budgeting and how long did it take you?

2) Did anyone study budgeting at night college and how did you find it?
  • nicd1981
    nicd1981 Registered Posts: 243 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi Bubs,

I have studied all of my modules at night college , i attended knowsley community college in Liverpool.

The tutors are brilliant and answer my email questions/ requests when i send them even on weekends.

Id highly reccomend night school , although i am going on to study my BA with cima by distance learning mainly because of the costs involved.

Nic x
    Nicola Donnelly ,MAAT, MIP, CIMA Dip MA

Email: donnellynicola7@gmail.com
    Facbook Page: MEND Accounting
    Blog: http://wannabeanaccountant.blogspot.co.uk
    Twitter: @mendaccounting
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    bubs wrote: »
    Thanks Coojee. Forgot to mention that I originally used distance learning but could never get hold of the tutor when I needed it and so I felt it was a waste of money as I ended up doing it myself. When I did send off my mock exam etc., they were really late in sending back their feedback.

Did you self study?

Some of them can be like that but not all of them. It is a case of finding the right provider and what works for one student may not be right for another. But not being able to get hold of a tutor and not giving timely feedback is no good for anyone.
  • Whirlwind
    Whirlwind Registered Posts: 249 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I have self-studied levels 3&4 except API, APII & FNST (employer had paid for online classroom which I really enjoyed but I decided to save him money and thereby ensure he would fund the rest!!) I prefer self-study and am quite strict on time scales - its been an intense year!! I follow the online classroom timing with 4 weeks to study budgeting and a further week to revise. All first time passes - altho waiting on PTX, due to take BTX end of Sept and then the project.

The end is in sight!!
  • bubs
    Whirlwind

What books did you use? I have bought Kaplan and Osborne for Budgeting (before I considered whether to go to college instead) and would prefer to continue with self study although I am open to online.

Bubs
  • Whirlwind
    Whirlwind Registered Posts: 249 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I use BPP, but I buy them via Amazon or Foyles - depending on who is cheaper. Just make sure that you are getting the most up to date versions.

It has been a real slog self-studying level 4. With level 3 I got away with studying whilst the TV was on but no chance with level 4, I have to lock myself into our study!! I have even had to get stronger glasses as I have really bad eye strain from all the intense reading - thats the problem with having the read to learn rather than hear!! I love reading for a hobby but have only got time and energy for AAT reading!!

Anyway the end is in sight ....
  • bubs
    Thanks Whirlwind and to everyone else who replied. I made a decision last night to study with BPP at night class once a week. I'm feeling excited and it will be interesting to see whether I prefer this way of studying than self studying. Good luck to you all whatever route you take.

I will keep you posted. Four weeks to go for my FNST results. Yeeks!
Privacy Policy