Inspirational People...

Hey Guys,

Another random post.

Who is/are your inspirations? Celebrity, political figure or someone you know personally? ...even your boss!

Comments

• JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Mostly Michael Eavis. He's just amazing.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    My kids. They've kept me going when the world has turned to darkness and all I've wanted to do is give up.
  • SashaDella
    SashaDella Registered Posts: 362
    My mother, she does the best she can when things turn tough!
    Plus she's an excellent accountant ;)
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Olympic athletes.

It's made me realise how little I respect the overpaid celebrities and footballers...

And also how well the GB team. Certainly made me want to get out there more on the bike.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    PGM wrote: ยป
    Olympic athletes

Really? I don't see them as much different to footballers, most of them just don't get paid as much. During the July/August Olympics, I heard an athlete moaning about the lack of public funding and that they'd have to get a real job, like Joe Public. Strewth, how appalling! Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I'd also love to be able to do whatever the Hell I wanted to do in life on someone else's dollar: but most of know it just doesn't work like that.

So no, I don't believe athletes when they say "I did it for my country" any more than I believe Wayne Rooney saying it. Manchester United aren't public funded and I don't believe athletes should be either, it's their choice to do what they want to do.
  • SashaDella
    SashaDella Registered Posts: 362
    I understand paying for training the athletes but not afterwards. If government didn't help then surely we would have less competitors? How do they do it in China/USA?
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Really? I don't see them as much different to footballers, most of them just don't get paid as much. During the July/August Olympics, I heard an athlete moaning about the lack of public funding and that they'd have to get a real job, like Joe Public. Strewth, how appalling! Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I'd also love to be able to do whatever the Hell I wanted to do in life on someone else's dollar: but most of know it just doesn't work like that.

So no, I don't believe athletes when they say "I did it for my country" any more than I believe Wayne Rooney saying it. Manchester United aren't public funded and I don't believe athletes should be either, it's their choice to do what they want to do.

I'm surprised you say that. I'm not saying every one of them, but as a whole they know their earning potential is only a fraction of what a footballer will earn. If they had a full time job, it'd make it unlikely they could train enough to become a top athlete. I think I changed my view of them a bit after watching some of the documentaries before the Olympics, some of the training regimes are pretty brutal.

It'll only be the top athletes earning the big money, probably ones that get the advertising deals.

Anyway, they inspired me to get on my bike a bit more, and that was the reason for the thread ;)
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    My inspirational people are actually the paralympians, I would have given up with what most of them have endured! They are incredible.
Privacy Policy