ICAS - Project Proposal Help!!

Whirlwind
Whirlwind Registered Posts: 249 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
Hi all!!

I have found that I am unable to use common sense in understanding what the 'proposal' should include.

Where do I start? Is it a proposal of a particular part of the accounting system or all of it? I am doing a case study and can see the need for improvements everywhere!!

Is this where my SWOT analysis would come in handy as I could see if one department/area was in greater need than another?

Sorry for the rubbish questions, but have got until Friday to send off my proposal.

Any help gratefully received!!

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hello Whirlwind

Sorry for the late reply, I've been offline line/away from a PC for a few days. I hope you managed to submit your proposal in time and that it is approved by your tutor.

If you have any questions when it is returned, please post here or contact me via PM if you prefer.

For any other student reading this post, the proposal is an outline of what you plan/propose to include/cover in your project. You need to be mindful of the word count and whilst you may identify weaknesses in several areas, if it probably wise to focus on one area to ensure you don't exceed the word count. Yes, the SWOT analysis may be handy in helping you however I did not complete this until after my proposal. I read the case study and made notes of issues/weaknesses and included them all but highlighted the area/s which my report would focus on.

I hope this helps a little and I'm sure you will have done more than enough.

Hear from you soon.

JC :o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Whirlwind
    Hey Jo,

Knew I could rely on you!! I followed the layout in the BPP workbook which even gave me points to include/consider - made post before I'd read everything!! I am focusing on the Accounts Receivable department, even though every part of the company needs help!! Anyway ... its submitted now but I have yet to hear back from the tutor as to whether my proposal is approved. I mentioned in my email to her that I may have added too much, especially now I am reading what info is required in the 'introduction' section of the report, but surely too much is ok!!

I am now getting on with the 'introduction' and organisational charts as these aren't dependent on the propsal being accepted.

Thanks again for always being for helpful.

Will definitely be posting again about this unit ...
  • Jo Clark
    Hello

Always pleased to try and help! Which case study are you doing?

Remember your word count when writing the introduction as there are several other sections which you will need to write about. Also, try not to structure your report too much like that in the BPP book. It has been mentioned in another post that is does not cover all the criteria.

Have you downloaded the mapping sheet? This is good to have to hand to ensure you are covering all the assessment criteria.

Out of interest (or me being nosey!) who are you studying this unit with?

JC
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Whirlwind
    I'm with BPP and doing the Inkwell Ltd case study.

The tutor has even said not to follow the case study in the workbook, but I wanted to see something that would help with the layout/word count. I found a post that suggested a word count for each section (title 30, contents 40, terms of ref 60, methodology 80, Exec summary 140, Into 750, Review 1580, Recommendations&CostBene 1630) but our tutor has told us not to worry about the word count or the mapping sheet yet - which worries me a bit.

Hey ho I'm sure it will be fine ... said that bit too loud trying to convince myself!!
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hi Jo & Whirlwind

Just read all this and it is very helpful info. I got my case study on Thursday from college and got Inkwell Ltd as well, haven't had time to read it yet as got loads of homework from college and I'm actually having a night off tonight and going out with the college lot for a meal.

Have got 4 days off at end of next week and no college as half term so hope to make a start.

Any other tips will be helpful.

Jan
  • Jo Clark
    ... but our tutor has told us not to worry about the word count or the mapping sheet yet - which worries me a bit.

Your tutor is right... and listen to them and take their advice as they are marking/assessing your report before IV. If they tell you to remove/add/expand/explain etc. something, do it.

The word count is a guide and my report did exceed the 4,000 guide, however I think that as it was relevant my tutor was able to use their discretion to allow the additional words.

You both have my contact details and even though I have not completed my studies I am sure to visit the forum so feel free to PM/EMail or post questions here as other students will benefit and answer as well as me :001_tongue:

Enjoy your evening both.

JC
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Jo Clark
    janwal wrote: Β»
    I'm actually having a night off tonight and going out with the college lot for a meal.

Enjoy Jan! You deserve a night off as I know how hard you have been working on BGT and FNST. You will have a juggling act on your hands doing the project alongside other modules but I know you will be just fine.

When you read the case study my tip would be to have a highlighter and notepad handy - highlight 'things' which jump out at you and make notes of issues/ideas which you think of as you read through the document.
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Whirlwind
    Thanks!!

My problem is I just want to crack on with it ... trying to remember that as this unit is so different from all the others and that this approach won't work!!

Enjoy the night off Jan!!
  • Jo Clark
    I know what you mean about cracking on with it. My project was spread over a period of time... at times I just wanted it over and done with. You may be grateful for the time if you are completing it on the same basis as I did with BPP. You also need to remember that your tutor could have upto 50/60 students in the group so that is a lot of marking to do each time students submit their project.
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Whirlwind
    There are 50 in the class, so they have a heavy work load. But that's another reason why I would like to get sections in before my assessment plan dates, as the dates were suggested by the tutor so there will be loads waiting for feedback.

Its just I want my life back, I have taken 11 exams in the past 12 months!! I'm just not a very patient person ...
  • Jo Clark
    Feedback usually takes about 3 days which isn't bad and you can continue to work on the next section :D
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Whirlwind
    Thats sounds good - think I have seen too many negative posts on this unit!!
  • Whirlwind
    Hey,

Another question ... do you think it maybe worth my while getting the Osbourne book for ICAS as they seem to have more case studies, its only Β£11. I have never written or even read reports like the one I am trying to produce and just think if I could see more reports I would have a better idea of what I am trying to accomplish.

Thanks in advance.
  • Jo Clark
    Personally I would say no and save your money. I am sure the Osborne book is really good but I only had the BPP book and managed to complete the project with this.

If you need any help with the format/layout of the report you should ask your tutor or do some research on Google.

Ultimately, the decision is yours.
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Whirlwind
    Cool - I think I am (as usual) over thinking this!! I'm hoping that once I submitted one section I will have a better idea of if I'm on the right track.

Thanks again!!
Privacy Policy