Business link....It's gone!

Options
ExcelAnt
ExcelAnt Registered Posts: 80 Epic contributor 🐘
Hello,

I have been recently researching a number of things from business link and found the information massively helpful. I have studied the content in accountancy courses in the past put having live up to date and detailed information was excellent.

Stumbling through forum posts about franchises I went off and visited the cheapaccounting blog which mentioned a new site gov.uk
http://www.cheapaccounting.co.uk/blog/

I assume it's an aim to present to the populace clear information. Behind that clear information there are still a number of things to be considered and it would be nice if there was a complex version of the site, or at least the old business link references.. my prime example is:
https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-dividends
Correct advice, but flat ignores the dividend voucher tax credit - which is essentially nonsense but part of the system still.
(The blog suggests many errors but I assume they will be corrected quickly as the pages have a reporting feature)

I'm all for presenting tax in a simple way but many tax rulings still have complications, and it appears this simplified means of cummunicating is flat ignoring them. The site seems to be aimed at the everyman, so where is the information source for larger businesses?

Do others reference Business link (or did?) if so what are your thoughts?

Sorry if a bit ranty but I really liked business link.

Comments

• deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I'm all for it.

Business Link, however good, was hugely expensive and probably under-utilised. I used to refer people there a lot a few years ago but nowadays I usually refer people to HMRCs website.

If cuts have to be made to public services then far better to lose Business Link than a few hospitals.
  • ExcelAnt
    Options
    Fair point and I agree in principle, but I wonder what they spent on this new one?
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    business link still seems to exist - I've got loads of facebook updates from them on my business FB page - it just looks like they've merged websites with direct.gov.uk to form gov.uk. these organisations constantly re-invent themselves, i'm sure it'll all change again in a few years!
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    ExcelAnt wrote: Β»
    Fair point and I agree in principle, but I wonder what they spent on this new one?

Not very much by the look of it!!
  • ExcelAnt
    Options
    lol indeed dean.

and Jodie, I think i just had a bit of a monday morning rant resisting change. I've signed up to accountingweb as it seems incredibly useful
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    ExcelAnt wrote: Β»

I think i just had a bit of a monday morning rant

haha me too!
  • ExcelAnt
    Options
    JodieR wrote: Β»
    haha me too!

Ever find that penny then? :)