Leaving practice

Gem7321
Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
I'm so sad :crying:

I've been offered the position of FC (SME)... fantastic salary... and I know it's the right decision to make for my family but I can't help thinking I'm not ready to leave practice yet. But needs must!

Has anyone successfully left practice to go to industry then subsequently returned to practice? I will continue to run my own small practice on the side so will still have to keep up to date with changing tax legislation but will this be enough should I decide to return to practice in the future? I doubt it but I'm being optimistic :001_smile:

Comments

• reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Gem7321 wrote: »
    I'm so sad :crying:

I've been offered the position of FC (SME)... fantastic salary... and I know it's the right decision to make for my family but I can't help thinking I'm not ready to leave practice yet. But needs must!

Has anyone successfully left practice to go to industry then subsequently returned to practice? I will continue to run my own small practice on the side so will still have to keep up to date with changing tax legislation but will this be enough should I decide to return to practice in the future? I doubt it but I'm being optimistic :001_smile:

Congrats

(Just out of interest do you have any other quals other than aat? or loads of practise experience?)

Re: moving from industry to practice, here's a good article on aweb about it:

http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/article/any-answers-answered-moving-industry-practice/533087
  • jamesm96
    jamesm96 Registered Posts: 523
    Slightly off the mark of what you've asked, but we've actually just employed (in our practice) a manager who qualified in practice, but has spent the last 15 years or so in industry, if that's of any reassurance to you?

And, congratulations! Don't dwell too much on the negative; this sounds like rather a good thing!
  • paulstafford
    paulstafford Registered Posts: 126 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Yes , I have and currently have a foot in both camps - p/t Finance Manager and p/t practice.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    reader wrote: »
    (Just out of interest do you have any other quals other than aat? or loads of practise experience?)

http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/article/any-answers-answered-moving-industry-practice/533087

I've been working in practice since 2005 and AAT qualified in 2008.

Thanks for the link.

And thanks for your experiences everyone. I still feel disheartened but I'm not leaving for another 2 months yet so I have plenty of time to come to terms with the change of career but I feel a little happier knowing that it is possible to return to practice.

Any more experiences welcome!
  • esimps
    esimps Registered Posts: 15 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Working in industry can open a lot of doors and give you experience in work you might not get exposure to working in practice, so I think it's a good move.

I'm confident you'll be able to return to work in a practice later on in your career if you wish to do so.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Sounds like a great opportunity, Gem - go for it!
Privacy Policy