Study Techniques-What has worked and How?

Ventra
Ventra Registered Posts: 14 Regular contributor ⭐
Morning

I was wondering what study techniques students are using, especially those that are independent students or distance learners.

For example, has anyone used mindmapping and how did it help?

or do you just read and then do "death by question" until its completely embedded?

look forward to sharing some ideas.

regards

Bill

Comments

• GemmaS
    GemmaS Registered Posts: 178 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hi Bill,

I write notes and then make my own passcards/revision cards. I also stick post-it notes up all over the house and make posters with mind maps and diagrams and other such for things I'm finding difficult to remember and put them up all over the house as well.
    Then its questions question questions!

I don't take things in if I just read them.... I have to write them out then re-write them in different ways making it all very visual and colourful. Also I have to practice over and over to make sure I not only understand the theory but can also apply it :)

What about anyone else?
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    I too need to write and rewrite things - in my own way - to remember stuff. At level 4 there is an awful lot of "words" to remember, which doesn't come easy for me as English isn't my first language. I also tried to diversify my sources of information, ie not just use the text book but read on the subject on the internet etc...sometimes it helps to have a different take on the same subject.
    Oh, and lots and lots of practice for the calculations - this was the easy part for me!
  • Sam22
    Sam22 Registered Posts: 117 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I'm the same as GemmaS.
    I make notes on each chapter, then make diagrams and all sorts of colourful things to stick up in the places I spend most of my time for example, in the kitchen so I can look at them when cooking and washing up and the bathroom mirror so they're the first thing I see in the morning and the last before I go to bed.
    Then it's question after question and practice papers in the lead up to the exams!

AP 1 & 2 tomorrow!! Hoping all this has worked otherwise I need to find new techniques!
  • GemmaS
    Sam22 wrote: »
    AP 1 & 2 tomorrow!! Hoping all this has worked otherwise I need to find new techniques!

Good luck for today!!!!! let us know how you get on :)
  • Sam22
    Passed both exams today!!
  • GemmaS
    Well done! :D how did you find them?
  • Sam22
    Thank you!! To be honest I found them quite easy. I think I completed both in about 40 mins but I did put a lot of work in I guess! They were identical in style to the practice ones which was good. Hoping to take cost and revenues at the end of November although I haven't started looking at it yet. Having a couple of days break.
Privacy Policy