Level 4 - Falling at the final hurdle

craigbrown2602
craigbrown2602 Registered Posts: 17 New contributor 🐸
Hi all,

First time 'thread poster' Been studying AAT since late 2006 (although I took the majority of 2011 out) I've been falling at the last hurdle what is Level 4. I've failed each of the level 4 exams at least once now, but have since passed 2 of the exams which means I have 3 to go (Financial Performance, Financial Statements and Personal Tax (Which I will be sitting in December))

Does anyone have any useful hints/tips they can give me to help me pass the exams? I'd love to complete AAT (this decade!)

I know the work, but when it comes to doing the exam, I just crumble under the pressure.

Thanks,

Craig.

Comments

• guinea pig
    guinea pig Registered Posts: 402 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi Craig,
    I probably hold the record for the length of time taken to complete AAT; I started in 1981 (yes! last century) and completed this summer. I dropped out after the first year due to pressure of work & for family reasons. I returned to finance work in 2007, and re-started AAT in 2009. It's been tough, its a tough qualification, so take it steady. Do you have to take all your exams in December? You may find it easier if you can concentrate on one at a time, I would suggest Tax first as its easier, then the more challenging Fin Perf & Fin State. Are you self-studying? Do you have a study plan? I worked my way through the Osborne text book first, making notes onto a spreadsheet template that I then printed off onto revision cards, then did the Osborne workbook, then completed as many past papers, greenlight etc as possible. If you get stuck, there are lots of really helpful people on this forum - they really helped me.
    Good luck,
    GP
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    guinea pig wrote: »
    Hi Craig,
    I probably hold the record for the length of time taken to complete AAT; I started in 1981 (yes! last century) and completed this summer. I dropped out after the first year due to pressure of work & for family reasons. I returned to finance work in 2007, and re-started AAT in 2009. It's been tough, its a tough qualification, so take it steady. Do you have to take all your exams in December? You may find it easier if you can concentrate on one at a time, I would suggest Tax first as its easier, then the more challenging Fin Perf & Fin State. Are you self-studying? Do you have a study plan? I worked my way through the Osborne text book first, making notes onto a spreadsheet template that I then printed off onto revision cards, then did the Osborne workbook, then completed as many past papers, greenlight etc as possible. If you get stuck, there are lots of really helpful people on this forum - they really helped me.
    Good luck,
    GP

I agree 100% with GP.

If you get stuck on a question, post it (in full) on here and someone is sure to help you. We have all been in the same boat as you.

Good luck with it all, and remember, there is no rush to complete it :o

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • craigbrown2602
    craigbrown2602 Registered Posts: 17 New contributor 🐸
    THanks Guinea Pig, Congrats on finally passing! I'm studying at a college in London, but I recently bought a house which means I dont have much time for studying at weekends. The job I am now in is not finance related but I will be looking to move into the Finance team of the bank next year.

I'm even more determined to pass as this final year I am pay for myself (although my college offer 1 free re sit per unit)

The college use the Kaplan books (I'm not a huge fan of them) and tutor notes. I may look to buy the Osborne books instead as I used them for L2 and L3.

Thanks for your advice GP and JC.

Craig.
  • The Magician
    The Magician Registered Posts: 96 Epic contributor 🐘
    I thought you had to re-do the entire qualification if you exceeded three years of non-activity. Is this not the case?
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I thought you had to re-do the entire qualification if you exceeded three years of non-activity. Is this not the case?

I don't know the answer to this, however I think GP probably started back on Level 3 so it would not apply. You don't have to complete Level 2.
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • guinea pig
    guinea pig Registered Posts: 402 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi there, I had to start back at level 2. My tutor set me a test to check at the beginning, but I didn't do well enough to skip to level 3. On reflection this was best, as I needed to re-learn the basics.
    However, I have just looked at the details for the college where I studied, and note that for level 3 entry;
    " Some students might be eligible for exemption from AAT level 2 if they hold acceptable alternative qualifications or can demonstrate substantial experience in accounting."
    I guess there may be time limitations, to ensure that when you qualify, your knowledge is up to date with regard to legislation etc. Hence the need for continual CPD etc.
    GP
Privacy Policy