Level 3 planning schedule?!?!

Rachie278
Rachie278 Registered Posts: 55 Epic contributor 🐘
Passed WEAF today and only have computierised accounts to do!! Already bought the Level 3 BPP books, for a bargain £30 on Ebay so I'm raring to go, but was wondering, as I'm going to be doing/attempting Level 3 without tuition (to keep costs down!) can anyone advise, roughly, on a timetable to do each section?! How long did you give yourself? I know I need to do AP1 before AP2, but otherwise, are there any sections you wish you had done in a diff order to get it out the way or make the rest easier? Any responses gratefully appreciated :) Also, if anyone knows how to set up email notifications so I can see if anyone replys :lol:

Comments

• nightshade
    nightshade Registered Posts: 33 Epic contributor 🐘
    It's going to depend on your learning speed I guess. How long did you spend on level 2? how hard did you find level 2?

I've averaged 6 weeks a module at level 3, though some much quicker than others. Spreadsheets for example I was already fairly competent with, so booked my exam for the first slot after the course finished.
    I've studied without tuition as you're planning and it's not too bad.
    Overall it's taken me a year, but I had a big gap in the middle. I'm also squeezing round full time employment and a young family. :huh:

For modules, I've found ethics tedious and regret leaving it till last. Costs and revenues follows on nicely from basic costing, so if that's still fresh in your mind, maybe try keep that one towards the front of your schedule. I sat mine after ap 1&2.
  • Whirlwind
    Whirlwind Registered Posts: 249 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hi,

I followed the online learning schedule but self studied. Ive got the following:

API - 5 weeks
    APII - 2 weeks
    PEAF - 2 weeks
    ITX - 1 week
    CMGT - 2 weeks
    CRS - 6 weeks
    SPSW - 2 weeks

With your books, just make sure you have the right tax, as they are for a specific tax year.

Enjoy!!
  • welshwizard
    welshwizard Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    If I were to offer any tips, make sure you don't attempt Cash Management until after you've completed and passed AP1 and AP2 as it's important for you to understand the difference between the concepts of accruals and cash transactions.
  • Rachie278
    Thanks for your replies!

I got through Level 2 fairly quickly i guess, I started at the end of March, I had a gap of nearly 5 months and then carried on, i hope to finish Computerised Accounts by the end of November.

Am I right in thinking I can just carry on with Level 3? I don't need to contact AAT to tell them what I'm doing?

I appreciate the rough time scales and the orders that you did them in too!

Thank you :)
  • Kelly7
    Kelly7 Registered Posts: 218 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    You will need to continue to be an aat member to take your exams but they will write to you to renew your membership.
    Also, I am finding it a big jump from level 2 to level 3 so don't feel you need to rush the level 3. Make sure you've got the latest books too cos I know at least the cash management has released a new edition for 2012.
    X x
  • Rachie278
    Ohhhh it looks like my ebay bargain might not have been such a bargain! :001_unsure:

All of the books I got are for exams taken after September 2011, I knew I would have to get a diff tax book, but are they all out dated?!

I'm just reading through AP1 whilst I have some spare time at work at the mo and letting it sink in but it already sounds a bit harder :blushing: x
  • Kelly7
    Kelly7 Registered Posts: 218 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Tax should be ok, just have to check what the registration limits are for your exams, not sure on the others, just know cash management has a 2012 edition.
    X x
  • Rachie278
    How do I find out what the registration limits are for the exams?!? x
  • nightshade
    I think Kelly means check what the tax registration limits are when you sit your tax exam. There are various levels of turnover that specify if a company needs to register for VAT and if they qualify for certain accounting schemes etc. The turnover limits do change from year to year and I think Kelly was suggesting that an older tax book might not have the correct figures in.

In practice, the Indirect tax exam has reference material that you can look at during the exam. It contains all the current figures you'd need, so don't worry about your books being from last season.
    Little things like that are often updated, but remember, AAT are testing you on the principles of accounting and they haven't changed in a long time. £30 was the steal of the century - my company paid 20 times that for my level 3 stuff.
  • Rachie278
    Ahhhhh ok, I understand now about the tax limits, thank you!! So, you think that all of my books for September 2011 will be ok!?
  • nightshade
    I'm sure they'll be just fine. Like I said, anything that changes year on year is given for you in the exam. Imagine if you were sitting your exam in October 2011; most likely you'd have study material from before September.

The AAT practise CBA's will soon show up if there's anything you're missing. :thumbup:
Privacy Policy