SPSW exam for external students

Jurgita
Jurgita Registered Posts: 6 Regular contributor ⭐
Hello all,

I've done all my level 3 exams (up to the last one - spreadsheets) self studying and as an external student.:001_smile:
I have read a lot of post about the SPSW exam, but I am still confused... Is it true, that to take this exam I have to purchase full module from the training provider? Or is it possible to pay something additional to be marked up by exam center?
Could somebody, who is self studying, tell me what did you do?

Appreciate your help.

Comments

• Whirlwind
    Whirlwind Registered Posts: 249 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I have self-studied most of the units.

I was registered with BPP and took all my exams at their centre, I was registered with them an external student. You will have to pay the cost to the centre to take the unit - it was around £220 in June this year.

Hope this helps!!
  • Clarekaye
    Clarekaye Registered Posts: 307
    I am with Eagle Education and have not had a problem sitting any until I got to Spreadsheets, everywhere I turned I had the same as you that no one would let me sit it unless I was enrolled.

My tutor spoke to where I had taken most of my previous exams (a Kaplan centre) and they finally came round to letting me do it and only gave me two dates I could do it in December. Oh and AAT didnt help me one bit!

I think if you try where you have taken some before and explain the situation then go from there, maybe small independant training places? Hope you find somewhere :)
  • Jurgita
    Jurgita Registered Posts: 6 Regular contributor ⭐
    Thanks for your advices, Clarekaye & Whirlwind!
    I have spoken to BPP exam booking center (this is where I took all other exams - BPP), and they told I must be enrolled for Spreadsheets exam - it cost 220.00 pounds... Then I rang to Kaplan to check the options they have got, so they offered me much better deal - SPSW distance learning module for 150.00 pounds (that includes assessment price).
    Apparently, I chosen better one :)
  • Nps
    Nps Registered Posts: 782
    Don't know where you are in the country but try Kaplan Milton Keynes. They let me sit it as an external student and I just paid the exam fee. This was despite the main Kaplan enquiry line telling me this was impossible and that I would have to purchase the whole distance learning course. Milton Keynes is fairly central and Kaplan is a 2min walk from the train station so even with a train ticket from the other side of the country, surely this has to be a cheaper option?
  • TyJac
    TyJac Registered Posts: 42 Epic contributor 🐘
    Jurgita wrote: »
    Thanks for your advices, Clarekaye & Whirlwind!
    I have spoken to BPP exam booking center (this is where I took all other exams - BPP), and they told I must be enrolled for Spreadsheets exam - it cost 220.00 pounds... Then I rang to Kaplan to check the options they have got, so they offered me much better deal - SPSW distance learning module for 150.00 pounds (that includes assessment price).
    Apparently, I chosen better one :)

I live in London, I too self-studied all my level 2 and level 3 exams except for the two software based exams.

I gave Kaplan a call and they told me that £45 is to take the exam and another £54 is to get it marked by them, so in total £99. Probably gonna take it in December.
  • Clintm15
    Clintm15 Registered Posts: 248 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Yes, you will get stung for the whole module. If I remember correctly this was the only unit that I broke away from BPP and chose Kaplan because it was cheaper.
    AAT
    Level 2 - 2011
    Level 3 - 2012
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA
    F4 - Corporate Law - Dec 2015 (passed)
    F5 - Performance Management - Dec 2014 (passed)
    F6 - Taxation - Dec 2013 (passed)
    F7 - Financial Reporting - Jun 2014 (passed)
    F8 - Audit & Assurance - Dec 2015 (passed)
    F9 - Financial Management - Jun 2015 (passed)
  • MWAUGH1983
    MWAUGH1983 Registered Posts: 420 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I did level 3 distance learning and thought the exam bit was tricky - some places in my area like pitman were charging 70 odd quid and chamber of commerce were like 90 quid. Kaplan in newcastle was rather flexible in letting external students sit exams there. I did spreadsheets self study as my support expired and all I paid was around £94 which was for the exam fee plus £50 to mark it - thought it was good value for money; this seems similar to other poster who paid around £90 for this.

Distance learning is great to a point but you dont want to be stung when it comes to exams as you could be paying a fortune!

Martin
  • Nps
    Nps Registered Posts: 782
    It must really depend on who you speak to as I had no problems sitting my spreadsheet exam at Kaplan Milton Keynes and only paid the exam fee (£50 or thereabouts). I didn't get charged extra for marking.
  • TyJac
    TyJac Registered Posts: 42 Epic contributor 🐘
    I booked computerised accounting and spreadsheet software today at Kaplan Angel square, they charged me in total £193. As I'm an external student, I'd to pay to get it marked by them. They'd loads of flexible time slots to take the exam. So give them a call, cheaper than anywhere else I've tried.
Privacy Policy