Rent paid

Anne Boleyn
Anne Boleyn Registered Posts: 196 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi

Hope someone can help. I have a couple of clients who are self employed and live in a flat attached to the home in which they both work. They pay rent of £200 a month. They have to live in the flat there is no choice.

Ignoring for the time being that this is more employment than self-employment would they be able to claim any of the rent against their income?

I'm grateful for any pointers or help given.

Comments

• T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    My first instinct would be no. Why would they be able to claim for living expenses?
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    What is it that they do?
  • Anne Boleyn
    Anne Boleyn Registered Posts: 196 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply. They worked as housekeeper, driver general handyman etc. My gut instinct was no because it's just living expenses but it was the fact that they had to live there or forego the "jobs". So I wondered.
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Something else to add into the mix. Could it be argued that in fact the flat is a beneift in kind and rather than getting an allowance against tax they should actually be paying more tax. If the flat is provided to them at less than the market rate (and £200 per month seems quite low) then they should be taxed on the difference as a benefit.
  • T.C.
    Not if they are self-employed!
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    T.C. wrote: »
    Not if they are self-employed!

But the OP did point out that actually the employment is more employed than self employed. I'd agree with that, if they're being told where to live then that would be one indicator to me that they're employed rather than self employed. Can they subsitute anyone else to do their work, do they get to decide what work to do and when, do they work for a number of different people etc etc. The answer to all these is probably no so they're more than likely employed.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hi
    They have to live in the flat there is no choice.

I thought when living on site was part of the job, that it wasn't a taxable benefit?

(ignoring the self employed issue)

Maybe it could be reflected in the wage rather than paid as rent..
  • T.C.
    I agree with PGM - farm workers receive the 'house' as part of their wages. Perhaps this should be a similar principle.
Privacy Policy