Hi

amurray
amurray Registered Posts: 304 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Hello, Just thought I'd make a post and introduce myself, I'm Andy :001_smile: and have been studying AAT since October this year. Hoping to sit my first exam (BA1&2) in Feb 2013.

How did everyone find the first exam?..

Nice to meet you all and look forward to chatting!

Cheers.
MAAT, AATQB, MICB PM.Dip.
Completed AAT in March 2020

Comments

• liveprincess
    liveprincess Registered Posts: 214 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hi and welcome to the forum. I found my first exam a little bit stressfull but it has gone better after that. What made you study AAT?
    Good luck with your first modules.
  • amurray
    Hi & Thanks,
    Just thought I'd ask the question to try and get the feeling of how it would be.
    Fancied a career change and always had an interest in Finance & Accounting (Done some duties in my last job role, which I think interested me).

Cheers.
  • Whirlwind
    Whirlwind Registered Posts: 249 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Welcome!!

I only discovered the forum whilst studying Level 4 EXA, so now I am making up for lost time!!

The forum is a great way of 'discussing' issues with other students and getting their views/opinions.

Take care and happy studying!!
  • amurray
    Hi Whirlwind,
    Thanks for the warm welcome and reply!

How have you found the exams so far?.... Did you start from Level 2?...
  • aaron0121
    aaron0121 Registered Posts: 422
    Hi Andy,

Welcome to the AAT Forum

All the best with your AAT studies :)
    AAT

Level 2 - 2010
    Level 3 - 2011
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA

F4 - 2015
    F5 - 2015
  • Whirlwind
    Whirlwind Registered Posts: 249 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hi Andy,

Since I have previous experience and work in practice, I started at Level 3. I haven't taken exams since my driving test, so they were a shock to the system - but all first time passes. I have mostly self-studied so had to be really firm with a schedule of study, revise and exam, but am now on the last Level 4 unit!!

The time does really fly by, but only when you are looking back!! Thank heaven for the forum!!
  • amurray
    Thanks aaron0121.

WhirlWind - That's interesting to read, as this is my first insight into Accountancy, I come from a Catering background within hotels/restaurants, however did have a sales role which included a few aspects of Finance. I think this is where I thought, I want to pursue it further, hence studying AAT. Think in the new year I may try and find some work experience or a part-time job within the Finance sector, as think that will really help - not to sure on how employers will be with no experience. Not to sure as to wait... just very eager!
  • mandatory
    mandatory Registered Posts: 59 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Hi Andy, welcome to the forums!

My first exam was stressful as it took me several mock attempts just to get used to doing a computer based exam! My first exam was level 3 Accounts Preparation (as it was before I switched to the new Diploma) but I didn't have any work experience, just a few days on a bookkeeping course and a very keen interest in accounts.

Have fun with AAT!
  • amurray
    Hi Mandatory,
    Thanks and What exams are you on now? - are you still studying?..
  • mandatory
    Hi Mandatory,
    Thanks and What exams are you on now? - are you still studying?..

I'm not studying AAT anymore - I completed it last year and I'm currently waiting on my MAAT application to go through, however I am still studying and have since moved on to CIMA. :)
  • amurray
    oh cool congratulations! :)
    does the MAAT application take a while then?...
    I plan to look at CIMA or ACCA once completed my next level diploma in AAT.
  • mandatory
    oh cool congratulations! :)
    does the MAAT application take a while then?...
    I plan to look at CIMA or ACCA once completed my next level diploma in AAT.

Thanks! :) I don't think it takes too long, I just have one more week of work experience left before I get the full 52 weeks but I have 48 weeks of it signed off already as I was starting to get excited with one month left. Still excited now and I'm not even MAAT yet!
  • amurray
    Thanks! :) I don't think it takes too long, I just have one more week of work experience left before I get the full 52 weeks but I have 48 weeks of it signed off already as I was starting to get excited with one month left. Still excited now and I'm not even MAAT yet!

:001_smile: Sounds good! - nice. I'm not sure if I should start looking for work experience now or even a part-time job, I'm only 3 months into my course (Level 2) and have not done any exams yet. Do you think it would be worth while yet? or to wait a bit?.. :huh:

Cheers.
  • mandatory
    :001_smile: Sounds good! - nice. I'm not sure if I should start looking for work experience now or even a part-time job, I'm only 3 months into my course (Level 2) and have not done any exams yet. Do you think it would be worth while yet? or to wait a bit?.. :huh:

Cheers.

It's always worth a try, it's easier starting looking early. I was doing work experience (although not accounts related) while doing level 4 AAT and at the same time applying for jobs. I found my current role just as I finished level 4 but I do wish that an opportunity had arisen for me while I was studying as it's meant I've had to wait an additional year to gain the experience needed for membership. Finding suitable work now would certainly reinforce your learning by applying it to a situation and would give you a great advantage - I'd go for it! :)
  • amurray
    Morning,
    Thanks Mandatory,

I thought that also it would only be beneficial if I looked now, thought cant be any halm doing it now and thought I'd see if anyone else did, and seek abit more advise beforehand. :001_smile: Looks like it will be busy writing letters and looking-up addresses lol.
Privacy Policy