Too old to start level 3!????

H1983
H1983 Registered Posts: 6 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi guys

Just woundering, I feel too old to carry on with aat!!! I am 30 next year and I haven't started level 3 yet!i just think that there are younger people out there that are more likely to get jobs than a 30 yr old. My aim is to do aat then acca,also I haven't got time to go to college at night so would like to do a distance learning course any ideas?

My question is should I do it or will I regret not doing it ???

Suggestions please thank you.

H :-)

Comments

• Spamkebab
    Spamkebab Registered Posts: 233 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I started studying bookkeeping with simple City & Guilds qualifications when i was 37, i'm on the final exam for level 4 AAT and i'm 39. My goal was to be qualified before i hit 40.

I have studied level 3 and 4 via distance learning and found this way suits my needs and lifestyle.

In a recent copy of PQ magazine a decent percentage of students were reportedly in their 40's, this gave me a little more confidence.

AAT is a great foundation and stepping stone to beginning a chartered qualification and is a fully recognised qualification in it's own right.

You are not too old to begin. Have you any work experience?

Good luck,

Neil.
  • Nps
    Nps Registered Posts: 782
    I am 36 and have completed levels 2, 3 and 4 this year. I have also done ACCA F1, F2 and F3 this year, and sit F6 next week. I do have concerns, due to my age, that I will struggle to find work when I finish maternity leave, despite having potentially 30+ years of working years ahead of me (luckily I have a good (non accounting) job to go back to if I do struggle). Due to feeling that time wasn't on my side (and funding myself), I have self studied so I could get through the exams quickly. I can only hope that employers see a self motivated person who has some life experience rather than just focussing on the fact that I am not 24.

I wish I was only 30.................
  • sharonr
    sharonr Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    Definitely not

Hi, I'm 37 and feel too old too, but I have decided not to let that stop me. I am currently studying Level 3 at college and am really enjoying it. I was made redundant from my previous job as an administrator at the end of January and found employment in accounts in June.

There is a lot of competition out there, but don't give up. You will find the right company for you, it would just be a matter of perserverance. I'm confident that it will be worth it in the end, but I'd defintely rather try than not try at all.

Good luck!
  • CovTeej
    CovTeej Registered Posts: 41 Regular contributor ⭐
    I didn't start AAT until I was 38. I had been made redundant, for the second time, and just fancied a complete change having worked mostly in Insurance up till then. It is never too late to learn and you are never too old!
  • omega man
    omega man Registered Posts: 283
    H1983- I started level 2 in Septemeber 2011 and did level 2+3 together as i was finding it too easy,but then i have 6yrs manual accounting experience and kept books for my own little enterprise which gives me 15yrs in total.
    I was 50 when i started and i will finish level 4 just before i get to 52.
    What is stopping me getting a job is not having RELEVANT experience,ie not computerised but i have updated my skills for the internet.
    Nps-1976 How come you did F1-F3 you get exemptions from these with your level 4 and i also thought you were compelled to take the papers in order,in other words F4 next.
  • Nps
    Nps Registered Posts: 782
    Omega man, I did F1-3 as there are a few things which are not covered in AAT and I didn't want to get caught out in later exams. It was very good revision too as it bought everything together rather than covering a small area and then just forgetting about it after the exam. I just spent a few weeks revising and took the exams so no real hardship. I was also concerned that my ICAS project wouldn't be verified in time to get the exemptions in time for the December exams, so sitting F1-3 meant I didn't have to worry.

You can do F1,2 and 3 in any order, then you can do F4-9 in any order. AAT personal tax and business tax lead onto F6 very nicely so it seemed the more sensible one to take first.
  • shz1964
    shz1964 Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
    I am 46 and started my Level 2 last year , now studying Level 3 !!!!!!!

:001_smile::001_smile:
    H1983 wrote: »
    Hi guys

Just woundering, I feel too old to carry on with aat!!! I am 30 next year and I haven't started level 3 yet!i just think that there are younger people out there that are more likely to get jobs than a 30 yr old. My aim is to do aat then acca,also I haven't got time to go to college at night so would like to do a distance learning course any ideas?

My question is should I do it or will I regret not doing it ???

Suggestions please thank you.

H :-)
  • Nileshladva
    Nileshladva Registered Posts: 22 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi Hi983,

You should never feel to old to start learning, considering you'er only 30 I think now would be a great time to start. A mature person who dedicates a good amount of time to completing the qualification will have it done in no time and if you live a busy lifestyle just go for the distance learning option.
    Like many people above me have said, there are people almost double your age who are in the middle of their course and only wish they could have started it at your age.

Good Luck, and I hope I motivated you :)!

Nilesh.
  • jollie32
    jollie32 Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Oh my god - you are NEVER too old! I am 40 and studying for level 3 and attending college 2 evenings a week as well as working 30 hours in an accounting practice.
    The way I see it is I had my son at 21 so he is now independent(ish!) and I have time to concentrate on what I like
    to do. I think I am a good prospect for any employer as I am eager to learn, not going to be contemplating maternity leave or having to leave early as kids are ill etc. so I consider myself a good catch. Taking into account that I used
    to work at a secondary school and most of school leavers do not have a great deal of initiative or interest I think us more mature one's (cringe! - I am NO way old!!) are a far better appeal to employers!

Good luck and go for it - you will regret it otherwise!
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I echo every post above - go for it... if you don't try, you won't know. Nothing ventured nothing gained. If you start and then decide its not for you at least you can say you tried and have no regrets.

Studying, completing the AAT and becoming MAAT is one of the best things I have ever done.

Hope to see you posting here a lot more in the future :o
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • totleyblade
    totleyblade Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi everyone, reading this post and the replies brought a smile to my face and I too echo what the others have basically posted and would say that you're never to old extend your knowledge. I came into accounting fairly late in my career and didn't start AAT until I was 47. Although I had worked in and around this area for a number of years I just didn't know how much I actually didn't know until I started the course. At every level the knowledge that I gained which I thought would be desirable actually became essential. It's been well worth the effort for me and has certainly created opportunities. The AAT inspired me into something I would have never foreseen. I completed teaching course and I'm now an AAT Tutor. It feels like I now know what I want to do when I grow up, at last!
  • daniellefleeton
    daniellefleeton Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    Hi everyone,

I'm part of the AAT PR team and each year we profile some of our older students for Adult Learners Week which takes place during May. At AAT, we believe that you are never too old to learn and we use this opportuity to encourage others to upskill, retrain or pursue that career change they may have been thinking about.

We're looking for students to profile so I'd love to hear from you. Perhaps you have changed careers? Or started your own business? If you're interested, please email me with your name, job title, age, location, photo and a little bio about yourself.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Danielle
    danielle.fleeton@aat.org.uk
  • H1983
    H1983 Registered Posts: 6 Regular contributor ⭐
    Thank you

I just want to say a big thank you to everyone on here that taken the time to reply, I have decided to carry in with my level 3&4 and I am hoping to be completed by September ( for both!).

I will keep everyone posted I'm sure u will be seeing a lot of post from me in here when I'm stuck.

Thanks again
    Hayley ;-))
  • Countrybumpkin
    Countrybumpkin Registered Posts: 52 Epic contributor 🐘
    Good for you! I think that's a great decision and echo the above - you're never too old to learn! Have fun with your studies and good luck.
Privacy Policy