Partnership Question

deborahcarpenter
deborahcarpenter Registered Posts: 161 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Good Evening All,

I have taken on a new partnership client. The partnership has been running for 6 years and has never been registered with HMRC. The previous accountant just done the partnership accounts and told each partner what their share of the profits/loss was so they in turn could submit their own tax returns. Looking back through the paperwork, they have never made a profit (property rental business). My query is, should i register the partnership with HMRC and submit previous 6 years tax returns? my client wants me to continue as the previous accountant did?
Any advice much appreciated as always.

Deborah

Comments

• KenS
    KenS Registered Posts: 13 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi Deborah

Depends on whether they are running a property rental business or not. Quite normal to have a jointly owned property that is not being carried on as a partnership business and you just allocate profit/loss in the property pages of the SA100......i.e. no SA800 to complete.

Everything you need is right here.....http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/pimmanual/pim1030.htm

Cheers,

Ken
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I agree with Ken... I've got a client who owns about 5 properties with someone else - I don't do the property accounts myself but each year I get a copy of the accounts and put half of the income on his rental income pages.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Also agree. It will probably go on the Land and Property pages, not self employment.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Do they run any other business together as a partnership, ie building operations or similar??
  • deborahcarpenter
    deborahcarpenter Registered Posts: 161 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi,

No they are 4 siblings who own 5 residential properties that they rent out. They rent them out through a company called ALR propertys.

Debbie
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I would be happy to go with the Land and Property pages of individual TRs in that case.
Privacy Policy