Need advice on traning providers and what level to start

jan808
jan808 Registered Posts: 5 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi I will be studying a AAT qualification very soon but not sure what lvl I shoud start. I would like to start at level 3 but feel that learning the basics in level 2 is essential to progress to level 3.

my question is how difficult is level 2 compared to level 3?

Can someone also tell me do I need a training provider? I was thinking just to register with the AAT and buy books on each module and learn that way. is that possible? and what problems will I face?

Comments

• Nps
    Nps Registered Posts: 782
    Hello, if you search through my old posts, I answered a very similar query based on my circumstances which sound very similar to yours.

Any more questions, please just ask.
  • SashaDella
    SashaDella Registered Posts: 362
    I have completed level 2 through a training provider, and depending on your knowledge and intelligence really level 2 can be done without help.

I didn't use my tutor at all. I would 100% say that do level 2 first though, as level 3 (which I am studying now) flows on well from level 2 and you will find yourself struggling with the basics otherwise.

You will need a tutor for the CA level 2 exam though, unless you want to just skip this exam ( I didn't find it helpful)

BA1 BA2 and Basic Costing really help towards level 3 subjects

Hope this helps :)
  • lilypop
    lilypop Registered Posts: 10 Regular contributor ⭐
    I did level 2 and 3 via distance learning, never used a tutor once but I do work in accounts.

Even though I have been working in accounts for 10 years previously, I found I didn't really know the basics so I was glad that I started at level 2.

Anyhoo I would suggest Eagle or Premier if you want to do distance learning.
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    jan808 wrote: »
    Hi I will be studying a AAT qualification very soon but not sure what lvl I shoud start. I would like to start at level 3 but feel that learning the basics in level 2 is essential to progress to level 3.

If you logon to the AAT home page and look at the section about registering as a student, there is a diagnostic tool which helps you decide what level to start at.
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    If you have no prior accounts experience i would say to start at Level 2. Level 3 does cover some of the level 2 topics but only very briefly and the knowledge is assumed, especially in Accounts Prep 1 and 2.

I did Level 2 without a provider (except for Computerised Accounting, but i just bought the unit separately from BBP) and i wasnt working in accounts at the time, it is very do-oablle.

I prefer the BPP text books, but its personal preference, you don't need an actual provider for most units, just text books, an AAT student membership and an exam centre and i certainly haven't come across any issues as of yet.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
  • jan808
    jan808 Registered Posts: 5 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hey thank you for the replies just started studying level 2, I got to say I am enjoying it although it gave me a wake up call concerning my maths but a bit of practice and reading can sort that out :)

I can see that a buying books for each modules is going to leave a whole in my pocket but its for the greater good haha.

What are peoples opinions on book authors e.g. Kaplan or BPP. I know there are others out there too, Ive ordered "Basic Accounting 1" by BPP is this book any good compared to others out there?
  • Nileshladva
    Nileshladva Registered Posts: 22 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi Jan808,

I'm doing level 2 also and i'm glad your enjoying it, i'm not too sure about the BPP book to be honest. personally I think they are way to expensive but considering you're not going through a training provider maybe they are worth it? If i were you, i'd check eBay and amazon because a book is a book, and i am sure you'll save a bunch of pennies if you look around.

Good Luck!

Nilesh
  • Rachie278
    Rachie278 Registered Posts: 55 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi Jan 808

I had a training provider for Level 2 and they supplied there own books for BA1 and BA2 (one of the tutors is very clever! not just a handwritten shitty book!) that I found really good, they are called Premier books ( i trained with premier training but you can buy their books through their bookshop) For the other modules they supplied Osborne Books, they were ok, but when I decided to do Level 3 on my own, I asked around and one of the members on here suggested BPP books. Personally I find them easier to follow that the Osborne books, I bought them from ebay, the whole set for £25!!! ( I was very lucky and they are immculate!) So I would agree in giving Ebay a try, just try and get the newest versions (maybe check on Amazon which are the current ones!) and at the end of the day, even if you end up buying new books, if you keep them fairly neat and tidy, you could always sell them on again and get some of your costs back!

Good luck with your studies, and use the forum as much as you can, the people on here are all so lovely and supportive :)

Rachel
Privacy Policy