Motivation

katiewh1607
katiewh1607 Registered Posts: 11 Regular contributor โญ
Hi Guys,

Just a question to anyone studying, especially those doing distance learning - how do you stay motivated to study?!

Katie:001_tongue:

Comments

• RobClarke
    RobClarke Registered Posts: 820
    Three words..

"A better future!"
  • liveprincess
    liveprincess Registered Posts: 214 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    As above
  • guinea pig
    guinea pig Registered Posts: 402 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Hi Katie, it's tough, but its going to be so worthwhile. How far have you got? Just think how well you have done so far, and how great it feels when you get each exam pass! Whatever your age, it will help your career prospects.
    Good luck
    GP
  • amurray
    amurray Registered Posts: 304 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Couldn't agree more with RobClarke's post!

A better future indeed... That keeps my motivation going and thinking my ambitions are closer...
    MAAT, AATQB, MICB PM.Dip.
    Completed AAT in March 2020
  • crispy
    crispy Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I sometimes find it hard with motivation to get the books out and study, especially when a colleague told me 'well your probably not going to be anything in a large company' after passing my cima strategic though self-study.

Keep going Katie, its a great feeling when you pass. Some words of advice from the former manager of Southampton FC (my home team) that I think are relevant * Keep Smiling * Keep the faith and belief that you are doing the right things * Keep looking to improve :)
  • Iannalise
    Iannalise Registered Posts: 8 Regular contributor โญ
    Treat yourself like a child: plan, reward and offer competition.

I have only just started level 2 but have previously studied mathematics and statistics with the OU. The most useful thing I done was buy a cheap diary and block out certain times for study, DO NOT let yourself do anything else in this time. There were days were I sat and stared at open books without reading a word for an hour but as soon as you put it off once you start believing subconsciously that its ok to leave it . . . Downward spiral.

I also have one of those savings cans you can only open with a tin opener, I put in a pound coin after every completed chapter, and for the competition part I wrote out a list of goals (ie, bpp practice assessment 1 passed before end of January=ยฃ5) and add the money to the tin if I manage it.

I will not open the tin until its full or I finish the level/s but I do plan how to spend it. I doubt I would of ever reached the end with the OU if it wasn't for the lure of Merlin Annual Passes for the whole family.

Good luck, you CAN do this!
  • BeccaLouJ9
    BeccaLouJ9 Registered Posts: 896 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Treat yourself like a child: plan, reward and offer competition.

I have only just started level 2 but have previously studied mathematics and statistics with the OU. The most useful thing I done was buy a cheap diary and block out certain times for study, DO NOT let yourself do anything else in this time. There were days were I sat and stared at open books without reading a word for an hour but as soon as you put it off once you start believing subconsciously that its ok to leave it . . . Downward spiral.

I also have one of those savings cans you can only open with a tin opener, I put in a pound coin after every completed chapter, and for the competition part I wrote out a list of goals (ie, bpp practice assessment 1 passed before end of January=ยฃ5) and add the money to the tin if I manage it.

I will not open the tin until its full or I finish the level/s but I do plan how to spend it. I doubt I would of ever reached the end with the OU if it wasn't for the lure of Merlin Annual Passes for the whole family.

Good luck, you CAN do this!
    That is such a good idea, well done! I will use this for my ATT studies. Thanks :)
    B x
  • Clayy1990
    Clayy1990 Registered Posts: 35 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I think i'm in the same boat as you Katie, it's a roller-coaster of feeling elated when doing well and then feeling low when you do something wrong or you can't quite get the hang of things.

All the above posts from those others who are there and who have been there are great motivation alone :-)

How far along in your studies are you?

Liam
  • omega man
    omega man Registered Posts: 283
    I think with todays GDP numbers i am resigned to a life on benefits and self studying,GDP is 3% below what is was pre 2008 and i am now 51 nearly 52 i would be 56/57 when i pass ACCA or CIMA,no-one will want to know me at that age.
    Well at least if i achieve no-one can take it away from me.Onwards and upwards.
  • katiewh1607
    katiewh1607 Registered Posts: 11 Regular contributor โญ
    I've just started my AAT Level 3 with Kaplan - I like the idea of putting money away everytime you read a chapter (but my problem would be not having any to put in!!) :P

I think making friends that were also doing AAT would be a good way of staying motivated and helping each other out :)
  • nightshade
    nightshade Registered Posts: 33 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Whenever I get demotivated, I go to a job website, put in four little letters (CIMA) look at the salaries and smile.
    That's where I'm going, that's why I'm wading through AAT
  • guinea pig
    guinea pig Registered Posts: 402 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Omega man - think positive! I am 55, qualified with AAT last year. Last month I applied for a finance
    manager job, attended interview, completed skills tests and was selected for the post! As the terms etc didn't match my current post, I turned it down, I was then offered more! But again turned it down. It
    Was flattering to get the offer, and helped my confidence levels. So don't give up, ok we were not born into the computer age, but we have experience and other qualities valuable to employers.
    Gp
Privacy Policy