Newbie - Any help?

Amy Smith
Amy Smith Registered Posts: 54 Epic contributor 🐘
Hello! :001_smile:

I am completely new to this so bare with me...

I'm going to be studying for AAT and strangely starting at Level 3!

I am new to Accountancy and just wondered if anyone who has completed or is completing Level 2 could help me by giving me a list of what I need to know? :huh:

Happy Studying! :001_tongue:

Ams
Here to help
~AAT Qualified~

Comments

• crispy
    crispy Registered Posts: 466 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I would guess to start off at level 3 assumed knowledge would be a sound grip oF book-keeping (Debits / Credits / Ledgers etc) and some basic costing.

A book such as Frank Woods bookeeping and accounts may come in handy if your knowledge is a bit rusty.

Enjoy :P
  • Spamkebab
    Spamkebab Registered Posts: 233 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hi

How come you are starting at level 3 if you haven't any knowledge of the level 2 content?

Good luck.

Neil.

P.S. Crispy is spot on recommending that book, it's like the bookkeepers bible.
  • guinea pig
    guinea pig Registered Posts: 402 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Have a look on this site, it will show you the syllabus covered in level 2. There are several books that cover this, Frank Woods and Osborne are good.
    Although I started with considerable knowledge, I was advised to do level 2 as a refresher, and I am pleased I did, otherwise I would have found level3 tougher. It also got me into the studying and exam routine.
    Good luck
    Gp
  • stevenhindry
    stevenhindry Registered Posts: 6 Regular contributor ⭐
    if you are pretty good with numbers and maths, level 2 can be quite easy,

ive started at level 3 and already passed two exams, one in 11 mins and one in 23mins,

and i was pretty new to accounts when i started
  • Amy Smith
    Well I'm in a Forensic accounting job at the moment and my training contract meant that I started at Level 3...

I've already attended a course on Bookkeeping so I know some basics about CR/DR etc, but I'll definitely have to check this book out.

Thank you for your help and time, I think it's fair to say I'll be needing these forums throughout my study!

Wish me luck!

Ams
    Here to help
    ~AAT Qualified~
  • Amy Smith
    Wow steven! That's pretty good going!

I'm pretty advanced with maths but I don't think I can expect those results... Already I can tell my first day at college will be very interesting...

thumbs up
    Ams
    Here to help
    ~AAT Qualified~
  • Spamkebab
    Spamkebab Registered Posts: 233 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Ahhh i wondered whether it was to do with a job Amy.

As the others have said, you will probably be fine just buying a book to refresh your memory.

You will have covered most of level 2 with your bookkeeping course, it's not that big a level to complete.

I started level 3 after sitting a City & Guilds exam and i found it do-able (not really easy, but if you put the study in...)

Neil.
  • Amy Smith
    A spamkebab sounds so tasty!

Anywho, it seems like I'm definitely going to have to get a book and I'm 100% willing to put the effort in because I'm loving the job that I have at the moment.

Thanks for your advice, it's appreciated

Ams
    Here to help
    ~AAT Qualified~
  • crispy
    crispy Registered Posts: 466 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Wow, completing an exam in 11 minutes - that is pretty mental.

I did wonder what you would be upto after your retirement from snooker, now I know.

Sorry, long day.... :)
  • stevenhindry
    stevenhindry Registered Posts: 6 Regular contributor ⭐
    haha,

never heard that one before :P
  • mandatory
    mandatory Registered Posts: 59 Epic contributor 🐘
    I also started at level 3 after doing a bookkeeping course, I thought I might want a challenge... and it is doable! Your bookkeeping course knowledge should be fine, and I didn't need to refer back to my bookkeeping materials when starting AAT as my tutors were very good at clarifying things. :)
  • guinea pig
    guinea pig Registered Posts: 402 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi Amy,
    Ah well, if you have done a bookkeeping course and the study relates to your job, then go for level3, and just be prepared that you may need to do some extra research on some topics.
    Get some books, as advised earlier, and if you need help with any areas, there are lots of helpful people on this forum.
    Good luck,
    Gp
Privacy Policy